Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: how to install a github pull-request? (youtube-dl PR)

Beans

Question how to install a github pull-request? (youtube-dl PR)

Solved. I was able to install it by using pip3 (python3-pip) instead of pipx. pip3 worked with the github URL as-is (no need to download the zip file manually).

//////////////////////////////////////

I want to install this pull request for youtube-dl
    https://github.com/ytdl-org/youtube-dl/pull/25895

Apparently I can install it by using:
    (source: Github user notpushkin https://github.com/ytdl-org/youtube-dl/issues/23264)
    but this gives me the error
    Code:
    Package cannot be a url
    I also tried to download the .zip file manually and install it with:
    Code:
    pipx install youtube-dl-tiktokwatermarkless.zip --force
    and got the error:
    Code:
    Could not find package youtube-dl-tiktokwatermarkless.zip. Is the name correct?
    What am I doing wrong? Is there another way to install this pull request?
    Last edited by fluffy20470-50233; August 22nd, 2020 at 12:47 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: how to install a github pull-request? (youtube-dl PR)

I know nothing of this but the error messages are self-explanatory.
    "Package cannot be a url" means exactly that, the command doesn't accept an URL to download the package, only the package itself. And if you didn't download it then logically when you try the command to non-existent package it will complain that "could not find package..."
    Maybe you need to download it and then run the command in the some folder where you downloaded it?

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by CelticWarrior View Post
    I know nothing of this but the error messages are self-explanatory.
    "Package cannot be a url" means exactly that, the command doesn't accept an URL to download the package, only the package itself
    I just assumed it would work since that was the exact command written by notpushkin on github

And if you didn't download it then logically when you try the command to non-existent package it will complain that "could not find package..."
    Maybe you need to download it and then run the command in the some folder where you downloaded it?
    That's exactly what I did. I downloaded the .zip file, went to the folder it was in and opened terminal with (right click > open terminal here), and typed:
    Code:
    pipx install youtube-dl-tiktokwatermarkless.zip --force

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Then you need to contact the devs.

Beans

Then you need to contact the devs.
    Wouldn't this be something to do if there was something wrong with the pull request? I haven't even gotten past the installation stage, which I assume is due to my lack of knowledge with pipx & linux in general, not because the pull request is broken.
    Last edited by fluffy20470-50233; August 21st, 2020 at 12:36 PM.

Beans

Isn't youtube-dl in the Ubuntu repos? I thought it was......

Beans

Where did you download youtube-dl-tiktokwatermarkless.zip to? If it's in your ~/Downloads folder then you need to run
    Code:
    cd ~/Downloads
    FIRST and then the command to install it (I guess). The OS won't go hunting for the file you named. It doesn;t work like that. Windows doesn't work like that either. If you file is not in the folder that the terminal is currently sat in then it won't find the file.

For completeness:
    Code:
    cd /tmp
    wget https://github.com/runraid/youtube-dl/archive/tiktokwatermarkless.zip
    sudo pipx install ./youtube-dl-tiktokwatermarkless.zip --force
    I don't know if this works as I've never used the application. Hopefully this flys. Not even sure if sudo is needed to install using the pipx command. Have a play
    Last edited by ActionParsnip; August 21st, 2020 at 12:49 PM. Reason: adding extra solution steps

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by ActionParsnip View Post
    Where did you download youtube-dl-tiktokwatermarkless.zip to? If it's in your ~/Downloads folder then you need to run
    Code:
    cd ~/Downloads
    FIRST and then the command to install it (I guess). The OS won't go hunting for the file you named. It doesn;t work like that. Windows doesn't work like that either. If you file is not in the folder that the terminal is currently sat in then it won't find the file.

For completeness:
    Code:
    cd /tmp
    wget https://github.com/runraid/youtube-dl/archive/tiktokwatermarkless.zip
    sudo pipx install ./youtube-dl-tiktokwatermarkless.zip --force
    I don't know if this works as I've never used the application. Hopefully this flys. Not even sure if sudo is needed to install using the pipx command. Have a play
    This still gave me the package not found error unfortunately. I know I was in the correct folder because I could use other commands to interact with the zip file (like "md5sum youtube-dl-tiktokwatermarkless.zip").

I was able to install the pull request by using pip3 (python3-pip) instead of pipx. pip3 worked with the github URL as-is (no need to download the zip file manually).
    Last edited by fluffy20470-50233; August 22nd, 2020 at 12:52 PM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

I would just clone the repo first, then look through the different branches and checkout the branch I wanted, then install that.

The repo version of this software is always out of date. Has been for years. It changes fast due to website changes, so having the git version really is the only solution for this type of software.

Less pip. More git is needed. Learn to use git. There are only about 5 commands to know.

IMHO.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by TheFu View Post
    I would just clone the repo first, then look through the different branches and checkout the branch I wanted, then install that.

The repo version of this software is always out of date. Has been for years. It changes fast due to website changes, so having the git version really is the only solution for this type of software.

Less pip. More git is needed. Learn to use git. There are only about 5 commands to know.

IMHO.
    so with pip3 I just needed to type 1 line
    Code:
    pip3 install https://github.com/runraid/youtube-dl/archive/tiktokwatermarkless.zip --force
    what would I need to do with git? (I just started using linux and this terminal stuff is really over my head)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast