Thread: Struggling with installing MySQL

Beans

Struggling with installing MySQL

Hello,

I just got Ubuntu 18.04.4 on my new computer and trying to install MySQL on it.

However, once installed it can't start because of missing file "mysqld.sock".
    It really looks strange to me as it comes just right after completing the installation and nothing seemed to go wrong with it.

Please check the attached screenshots to see what it gives.

Hoping to find a way to fix this problem, I would be very glad to find any good clues.

Thank you,
    Last edited by mekanik3; August 20th, 2020 at 11:24 PM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: Struggling with installing MySQL

Did you start the mysqld service? Use systemctl to do that.

Please don't post images of text. Copy/paste the text so people with sight issues can help and everyone can copy/paste the important parts to highlight solutions.

If you don't absolutely have to use mysql, perhaps mariadb would be a nicer choice? It is from the creators of mysql, before Oracle bought it. The team left Oracle and created an API compatible replacement. All the commands and clients are the same - just no Oracle.

Beans

mysqld.sock is not really a file, but a "socket," a method for applications to communicate with other applications. I suspect the server wasn't running. As TheFu suggests, try
    Code:
    sudo systemctl restart mysql.service
    and see what happens.
    If you ask for help, do not abandon your request. Please have the courtesy to check for responses and thank the people who helped you.

Blog · Linode System Administration Guides · Android Apps for Ubuntu Users

Beans

Hello,

Thank you for your responses.

I simply tried to reinstall mysql, this time with "apt install" instead of "apt-get install", and surprisely it worked fine.
    So, the case is now solved.

Thank you again.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by mekanik3 View Post
    I simply tried to reinstall mysql, this time with "apt install" instead of "apt-get install", and surprisely it worked fine.
    So, the case is now solved.
    There's little chance that solved it. 'apt' is just a wrapper around most 'apt-get' commands.