Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Ubuntu 16.04 LTS vs Firefox

Beans

Re: Ubuntu 16.04 LTS vs Firefox

To locate the problem you can start FF is safe mode (without any extension) or test with a new profile and see if the problem persists.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

I have nowhere near TheFu's knowledge and sophistication so I created a 2nd installation with as few add-ons as I can manage, not even a printer driver. That O.S. is used ONLY for information that needs to stay private. At least one credit card company plants some sort of 'SuperCookie', browser finger print or something. I can't connect to their site with a machine that hasn't been there before. If I have a new install I have to request a one-time use code to get the identifier. Then I can log in normally.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

wow! and then they get hacked...

mine uses 2FA + notification to user (SMS+e-mail) + insurance up to certain amount. though i imagine insurance is likely more difficult to claim than they advertise. they are quite accommodating and were even willing to double the limit on card for one month 2 years ago when i needed it temporarily while resolving a claim for unused air ticket. anyway no system is ideal, but i think the one i currently use is relatively safe and user friendly. so far it was also without incident.

i am still puzzled how in USA you do not need to provide the pin to use credit card. in fact hotels and businesses still use magnetic strip (rather than safer chip) and no user signature required. :O
    on the other hand no touch and go for small amounts (is it called RFID?!) and in many places no portable POS.
    Read the easy to understand, lots of pics Ubuntu manual.
    Do i need antivirus/firewall in linux?
    Full disk backup (newer kernel -> suitable for newer PC): Clonezilla
    User friendly full disk backup: Rescuezilla

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12