Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Any remaining issues with Wayland on Ubuntu 20.04?

Beans

Any remaining issues with Wayland on Ubuntu 20.04?

I have been using ubuntu 20.04 wayland for a couple of months now and haven't come across any issues in normal daily desktop use.

Anyone else come across any?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Re: Any remaining issues with Wayland on Ubuntu 20.04?

I have to agree. Wayland is working well here too on two machines. The only quirk I have noticed at all is the LibreOffice splash displays higher on the display, very minor!

Beans

Seems to use a bit less RAM on my box too.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Don't know. Most of my system access is using remote X11. Doesn't Wayland just have wrappers around X11 for that mode?
    None of my physical systems use 20.04, just in 1 VM. Perhaps in 2021 I'll move a desktop system or 2 up. Some "servers" might move this fall. We'll have to see if the server programs are all stable on 20.04 by then.

I remember that screen recording didn't work under Wayland. Did they get that fixed yet? I record live video conferences to make them available later for other members of the group who couldn't attend. Use SimpleScreenRecorder for that. https://askubuntu.com/questions/9801...k-with-wayland

Also need some screen capture software to work. I use import.
    https://imagemagick.org/discourse-se...ic.php?t=30759

Those are older posts, so perhaps they will work. I just don't want to risk breaking a working solution. Already had a problem with my backup software failing between 16.04 server and 20.04 client. Would rather not have a similar issue that requires lots of manual effort to build a workaround solution. The 16.04 --> 20.04 migration will probably happen over a weekend for many systems.

These tools are part of larger automation setup using xdotool and cnee. Much easier to just keep using X11 for my needs.

If you don't use remote-X11 much, I can see where Wayland would be significantly better, especially for a desktop-centric user.

Beans

Screen capture works.
    I don't do any screen recording.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

I have been using Ubuntu/Gnome/Wayland with the current Dev version since Ubuntu dropped Unity Desktop and introduced Wayland. I have not had a single issue with Wayland but back in the beginning there was a couple of x11 apps that wouldn't work without workarounds, LuckyBackup was one that I needed the most. I used rsync for a while until xwayland got LuckyBackup on board. All of the proprietary software that I was using at the time already worked with wayland. So other than that I haven't used x11 since Unity was dropped. To this day my wife doesn't even know we made the switch and she is happy with what she has. This migration from one thing to another has always been a drama creator. First is was the demise of Gnome2 to Unity, then Grub to Grub2, then the demand that the install disk not exceed 700meg, then init to systemd, then x11 to Wayland. I'm sitting here running 20.10 with Gnome and Wayland and have never been more pleased with an operating system in my life and I started with MSDOS 2.3 or something like that back in the 1980's. Darned! now my ear buds aren't working with pulse audio!
    Last edited by zebra2; August 18th, 2020 at 05:21 PM.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by zebra2 View Post
    Darned! now my ear buds aren't working with pulse audio!
    Perhaps I'm a glass-half-full, risk adverse, person. Been burned a few times when people claimed "there's no difference", since for me there always is.

There are many problems with 20.04 that concern me. X11 is working great, so why change? To me, seems like a solution to a problem that I don't have.

Just like systemd (and all the added crap that systemd is trying to take over), upstart, PulseAudio, snaps, flatpaks, netplan, network-manager, resolvconf, avahi, Unity, KDE, Gnome DEs (any version) ... all seem to be ways to break what is already working great.

Before we roll out a new desktop to 25K users, we need some things to absolutely, positively, work.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

@TheFu
    I've gotten some great insights reading your posts, so thank you for that. But regarding the "absolutely positively working" dream on! I love linux but not for its perfection. Just take all of the UEFI borked login posts as an example of that. Look at it like this, Ubuntu works great for me, but that has a lot to do with me! Like everything else in this reality, we make our own decisions.
    Last edited by zebra2; August 18th, 2020 at 06:06 PM.

Beans
    Distro

We don't use UEFI booting about 95% of the time.

As long as Wayland is a choice, not mandated, that's excellent. Certainly,` some group of users see it as a benefit. Choice is good while technology matures. The handling of Wayland by Canonical has been really excellent.
    1. Introduced in a non-LTS release
    2. Delayed as the default in the next LTS, but still easily available
    3. Key issues being solved as development progressed.
    4. Even the second LTS didn't force it as a default.

Choice is key while it matures.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

So when Ubuntu decides to implement Wayland will it come through normal updates as an option.

From what I've read it will only work with Open source drivers as it will be up to hardware manufacturers to create proprietary drivers for Wayland.

https://www.maketecheasier.com/what-is-wayland/
    Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.
    (Mark Twain)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast