Thread: Problem Installing Realtek RTL8821CE Wifi Driver

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate 20.04 Focal Fossa

Problem Installing Realtek RTL8821CE Wifi Driver

Help - I have a hp 14s-dq1xxx laptop where I've just install ubuntu-mate 20.04. Researching it appears ubuntu does not have the realtek driver in the repros. So although it sees the hardware the driver is not installed and so I have no wifi networking options. I have come across a number of sites that show me what to do but there are comments like: step 1 - establish a temporary internet connection by some means. Hmm.. this is OK but this laptop does not have an Ethernet port so I have no means of getting a connection. Any help most appreciated - I'm assuming I'm going to have to do this the long/manual way, if it can be done, but so far I have not got anywhere in terms of instructions. I have access to other machines so can download s/w but I do not know what to do at this stage. (I have downloaded rtl8821ce from git hub - if I follow the readme file will it work for 20.04?)

Beans
    Distro

Re: Problem Installing Realtek RTL8821CE Wifi Driver

I have established a network connection via a wifi usb stick but I cannot get wifi networking to work (without using the usb stick). lshw shows the realtek 8821 hardware and in Additional Drivers I am using DKMS source for the Realtek 8821C PCIe Wifi driver from rtl8821ce-dkms (open Source). Having been a ubuntu user since 8.04 without any wifi problems - I now see why people have issues getting ubuntu to work. It appears with this wifi h/w it is a challenge to get ubuntu 20.04 working. Apologies - rant over.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu Development Release

Thread moved to Networking & Wireless.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Quarkrad View Post
    Help - I have a hp 14s-dq1xxx laptop where I've just install ubuntu-mate 20.04. Researching it appears ubuntu does not have the realtek driver in the repros. So although it sees the hardware the driver is not installed and so I have no wifi networking options. I have come across a number of sites that show me what to do but there are comments like: step 1 - establish a temporary internet connection by some means. Hmm.. this is OK but this laptop does not have an Ethernet port so I have no means of getting a connection. Any help most appreciated - I'm assuming I'm going to have to do this the long/manual way, if it can be done, but so far I have not got anywhere in terms of instructions. I have access to other machines so can download s/w but I do not know what to do at this stage. (I have downloaded rtl8821ce from git hub - if I follow the readme file will it work for 20.04?)
    Are you not able to use a USB cable to your phone and share the internet?

Beans
    Distro

At the moment I have internet connectivity using a wifi usb stick. So my problem is getting ubuntu to use the rtl8821ce hardware that is can see via lshw -C Network

Beans

At the moment I have internet connectivity using a wifi usb stick. So my problem is getting ubuntu to use the rtl8821ce hardware that is can see via lshw -C Network

I having issue with RTL8125 2.5GbE Controller

It shows below

network UNCLAIMED
    description: Ethernet controller
    product: RTL8125 2.5GbE Controller
    vendor: Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Quote Originally Posted by nadrojsl View Post
    I having issue with RTL8125 2.5GbE Controller

It shows below

network UNCLAIMED
    description: Ethernet controller
    product: RTL8125 2.5GbE Controller
    vendor: Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd.
    This is not the same device. I recommend that you try the steps I referred to in your own thread on the subject.
    "Oh, Ubuntu, you are my favorite Linux-based operating system" --Dr. Sheldon Cooper, Ph.D., Sc.D.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Please show us:

Code:
    lspci -nnk | grep 0280 -A3
    sudo dkms status
    dmesg | grep 8821
    "Oh, Ubuntu, you are my favorite Linux-based operating system" --Dr. Sheldon Cooper, Ph.D., Sc.D.

Beans
    Distro

I have it sorted now thanks. I was under pressure because this was not my machine and had limited time to fix it. In the end I re installed and followed the many suggestions to install 8821ce e.g. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vPfLVsyQU_A I'm guessing there was a/some conflicts due to my many attempts first time round.