Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Struggling to install Ubuntu 20.04 LTS to newly built PC

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: Struggling to install Ubuntu 20.04 LTS to newly built PC

NVRAM is where your UEFI settings are stored. And any other settings you can change in UEFI.
    You see boot settings with
    sudo efibootmgr -v

For Security reasons, some UEFI prevent various things by default and assume secure boot. User can change most of those settings, even with secure boot on, if required. Most have to turn on allow USB boot or full USB support as booting another system from USB is not secure.

You must also have a setting that prevents write into NVMRAM unless you change it. Check your manual. A few systems also have more settings if you set a UEFI password. But never lose that password or you may have a brick. Or reset password to blank when done configuring system.

Most UEFI motherboards also have settings to "disable" a drive. That way you do not have to physically remove a M.2 drive as that is not always easy and those M.2 parts are not designed for frequent changes.

Update:
    Looked at your manual. Not really different than the Gigabyte Intel Z170 and older Asus z97 boards I have.
    My Gigabyte is somewhat like your MSI, as UEFI and CSM settings are combined. My motherboard would only boot in UEFI mode with "UEFI only setting". And its UEFI settings were all under CSM item. But systems are really UEFI with CSM as an option not the other way around.
    CSM - UEFI Compatibility Support Module (CSM), which emulates a BIOS mode, only available with secure boot off.
    Check your settings for CSM & UEFI.
    Last edited by oldfred; August 18th, 2020 at 03:33 PM.
    For more info on UEFI boot install & repair - Regularly Updated :
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2147295
    Please use Thread Tools above first post to change to [Solved] when/if answered completely.

Beans

@oldfred thank you for your continued attempts to help me fix this. After checking my BIOS, I have learned that my PC has the following settings: SATA Mode: AHCI, XHCI Hand-Off Enabled, Legacy USB Support Enabled, BIOS UEFI/CSM Mode: CSM, Boot mode select LEGACY + UEFI, Not actually seeing anything on Secure Boot (can't find it for some reason).

Are any of these settings making it impossible to install Ubuntu. If there are any other settings you would like to see, please let me know. Thanks again!

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

My Asus motherboard would not boot in UEFI mode even with "UEFI or CSM" mode. Only the "UEFI only" mode would let me boot my install in UEFI mode.

Many systems do not call it UEFI Secure Boot, but have "Windows" or "Other". And fine print says if installing Windows 7 (now obsolete) use Other. Windows 7 did not support Secure Boot. So Other is the setting to have Secure Boot off. You also do not get CSM/Legacy/BIOS boot mode if Secure Boot is on.
    Please use Thread Tools above first post to change to [Solved] when/if answered completely.

Beans

I have tried the install with UEFI mode and UEFI + Legacy Mode and both gave me the same error. Any other ideas?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Did you update UEFI & SSD firmware?
    And threads with similar systems as posted in post #6?

Vendors do not always say an UEFI update applies to Linux.

Now year old, but still applies.
    AMD UEFI/BIOS update for Ryzen 3000 series
    https://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pa...OS-Update-Good
    ASUS ROG CROSSHAIR VIII HERO WiFi - update supports Ubuntu 19.04
    MSI has also put out BIOS updates in Aug as a "beta" though without explicitly acknowledging the Linux fix.

Beans

Sorry, I am a bit confused. Are we simply talking about BIOS updates? Or can you directly update the UEFI and SSD? If that's the case, I am having a hard time finding updates for those components directly. I have noticed that in the past couple days there has been a BIOS update (mine is 7C56vA1, and the latest is 7C56vA2). Do you recommend installing that, would that solve the problem?
    The update says:
    - Improved boot time.
    - Improved PS/2 KB/Mouse compatibility.
    - Improved memory compatibility.
    But, it also says not to update if not necessary.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

You never know for sure. But I always update as they do not always mention all the fixes, as shown in Phoronix link.

It has been UEFI since Microsoft required UEFI in 2012 with release of Windows 8. But many vendors still call it BIOS.

And SSD almost always need firmware update. Some vendors have that as part of UEFI/BIOS update. But those are mostly system vendors like laptops.

I have Samsung NVMe drive and they have a bootable ISO with the update for my specific model NMVe drive. It looked like an old BIOS screen and only offered update for latest firmware on my drive. For Windows they seem to have an application for updates.

Beans

I'll look for updates and give it a shot and get back to you. Thank you. If these updates do not work, is it possible the motherboard just isn't compatible with Linux?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Others have posted that that AMD based version works.
    But different vendors, do things differently.

The link from Phoronix mentions a Linux issue from a year ago, where vendors with AMD did have to update UEFI, but that has been resolved. So I would expect it to work.

Beans

I updated everything, turned on the UEFI mode, booted from a UEFI flash drive. I followed the instructions from the youtube video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xxef7Veeg6A

Failed once again on the grub-install /dev/nvme0n.. can't remember the exact message.

Here is a tail call to the /var/log/syslog if this helps
    Code:
    ubuntu@ubuntu:~$ tail /var/log/syslog
    Aug 21 03:01:30 ubuntu /plugininstall.py:     install.run()
    Aug 21 03:01:30 ubuntu /plugininstall.py:   File "/usr/share/ubiquity/plugininstall.py", line 62, in wrapper
    Aug 21 03:01:30 ubuntu /plugininstall.py:     func(self)
    Aug 21 03:01:30 ubuntu /plugininstall.py:   File "/usr/share/ubiquity/plugininstall.py", line 233, in run
    Aug 21 03:01:30 ubuntu /plugininstall.py:     self.configure_bootloader()
    Aug 21 03:01:30 ubuntu /plugininstall.py:   File "/usr/share/ubiquity/plugininstall.py", line 929, in configure_bootloader
    Aug 21 03:01:30 ubuntu /plugininstall.py:     raise install_misc.InstallStepError(
    Aug 21 03:01:30 ubuntu /plugininstall.py: ubiquity.install_misc.InstallStepError: GrubInstaller failed with code 1
    Aug 21 03:01:30 ubuntu /plugininstall.py: 
    Aug 21 03:02:06 ubuntu systemd[1]: zsysd.service: Succeeded.
    Also the sudo efibootmgr -v from earlier
    Code:
    ubuntu@ubuntu:~$ sudo efibootmgr -v
    BootCurrent: 0008
    Timeout: 1 seconds
    BootOrder: 0008,0000,0005
    Boot0000* Windows Boot Manager    HD(1,GPT,1e5db068-d49d-407d-9349-2d7fbcdfd6e3,0x800,0x32000)/File(\EFI\MICROSOFT\BOOT\BOOTMGFW.EFI)WINDOWS.........x...B.C.D.O.B.J.E.C.T.=.{.9.d.e.a.8.6.2.c.-.5.c.d.d.-.4.e.7.0.-.a.c.c.1.-.f.3.2.b.3.4.4.d.4.7.9.5.}...a................
    Boot0005* ubuntu    HD(1,GPT,1e5db068-d49d-407d-9349-2d7fbcdfd6e3,0x800,0x32000)/File(\EFI\UBUNTU\SHIMX64.EFI)..BO
    Boot0008* UEFI: VendorCoProductCode 2.00, Partition 1    PciRoot(0x0)/Pci(0x1,0x2)/Pci(0x0,0x0)/USB(7,0)/HD(1,GPT,5eb80d9d-e5b8-4236-93c3-b62ee86fc03d,0x800,0xeff7df)..BO
    Does this give any insight on what could be throwing off the install of Ubuntu?
    Last edited by flexbriggs; August 21st, 2020 at 04:45 AM.

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast