Thread: pulseaudio is running at 100%

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

pulseaudio is running at 100%

pulseaudio is running at 100%. no audio is being played. if i do play audio it plays fine and the 100% usage continues. is this one of those "issues" it has with "system mode"?
    Mask wearer, Social distancer, System Administrator, Programmer, Linux advocate, Command Line user, Ham radio operator (KA9WGN/8, tech), Photographer (hobby), occasional tweetXer

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: pulseaudio is running at 100%

Someday, pulse audio will be stable. They've only had 10 yrs. It is much better now than it was 5 yrs ago, but still far from perfect.

Kill the pulseaudio process. It should automatically restart. If it doesn't, then manually restart it. These processes are owned by your userid.

Beans
    Distro

in system mode there is a single central process owned by user pulse and that is the one that is running at 100% which is why i'm wondering about system mode. when i play audio, this process, when it is not doing the 100% thing, jumps to about 8%. no other processes run. the individual userid process don't get started even for playing audio.
    Mask wearer, Social distancer, System Administrator, Programmer, Linux advocate, Command Line user, Ham radio operator (KA9WGN/8, tech), Photographer (hobby), occasional tweetXer

Beans
    Distro

at this moment nothing is playing any audio at all. only one process is running pulseaufio. it is owned by user name pulse. it is using 18.8% of CPU. i have no ideas what it is doing.

edit:

i started playing a 16 minute audio file and CPU usage went up to 19.1%
    Last edited by Skaperen; August 15th, 2020 at 06:50 AM.

Beans
    Distro

is it mining bitcoin?

Beans

Beans

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/So...otingProcedure

Try that. Please give the output of step 3

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by mc4man View Post
    i have read that before. i do know it says increased CPU usage. that makes sense as there is more to do to transfer audio to the central process in a secure way.

there is no other way to keep the music playing as i switch to other userids (typically about 18 userids logged in and typically about 6 in busy use).

what my initial post is asking about is why does it sometimes use so much CPU to do nothing (no audio is playing).

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by ActionParsnip View Post
    https://help.ubuntu.com/community/So...otingProcedure

Try that. Please give the output of step 3
    audio works fine all the time. these steps are assuming one is not using system mode and will end system mode in step 1 making all further steps unable to diagnose any issue with system mode. since a reboot is part of the steps i cannot do that for a few hours due to things i have running that don't have an ability to resume. not that i would do them.