Thread: Suggestion to protect my sistem

Beans

Question Suggestion to protect my sistem

Hello,

I know the best AV is common sense, but do you suggest me to install a Av in Ubuntu 20.04 LTS?

Thanks
    Camelia

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Re: Suggestion to protect my sistem

No, not typically. Just have daily, versioned, backups and don't allow physical access to anyone untrusted. Every different user should have their own account with their own password. This way, they can only harm themselves. The system won't be harmed by a normal user being hacked.

There is a sticky thread in this subforum which explains normal security for Linux systems.

There are 2 exceptions to when I'd load AV on a linux system:
    1. Contractually mandated, usually by corporate insurance
    2. If it is the only Linux desktop/server in a LAN full of dangerous Windows systems. Linux won't care, but it can be a good neighbor. Those Windows users may need help catching Windows viruses in scans so they are quarantined on the Linux system.

In general, A/V on Linux searches for Windows viruses. Linux attacks are different and designed differently.

Beans

Red face Re: Suggestion to protect my sistem

Quote Originally Posted by TheFu View Post
    No, not typically. Just have daily, versioned, backups and don't allow physical access to anyone untrusted. Every different user should have their own account with their own password. This way, they can only harm themselves. The system won't be harmed by a normal user being hacked.

There is a sticky thread in this subforum which explains normal security for Linux systems.

There are 2 exceptions to when I'd load AV on a linux system:
    1. Contractually mandated, usually by corporate insurance
    2. If it is the only Linux desktop/server in a LAN full of dangerous Windows systems. Linux won't care, but it can be a good neighbor. Those Windows users may need help catching Windows viruses in scans so they are quarantined on the Linux system.

In general, A/V on Linux searches for Windows viruses. Linux attacks are different and designed differently.
    Thank you very much, for taking the time to remind me about daily backups and do not allow physical access to anyone untrusted
    and to explain me than the Windows virus are different to the Linux virus

Camelia