Results 1 to 8 of 8

Thread: What games for kids do you suggest me?

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Aug 2020
    Beans
    31

    Question What games for kids do you suggest me?

    Hello,

    My little brothers (4 and 6 years old) ask me to install some games in Ubuntu 20.04 LTS

    What games do you suggest me?

    No Minecraft

    Thanks

    Camelia

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Oct 2017
    Beans
    4

    Re: What games for kids do you suggest me?

    Cities:Skylines
    The day of the tentacle -Remastered

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Location
    melbourne, au
    Beans
    648
    Distro
    Lubuntu Development Release

    Re: What games for kids do you suggest me?

    I haven't looked at kids [educational or fun] games in years, but I'd likely start with games/packages that were chosen by Edubuntu.

    Examples maybe

    https://packages.ubuntu.com/xenial/edubuntu-desktop

    https://packages.ubuntu.com/xenial/ubuntu-edu-tertiary
    https://packages.ubuntu.com/xenial/ubuntu-edu-secondary
    https://packages.ubuntu.com/xenial/ubuntu-edu-primary
    https://packages.ubuntu.com/xenial/ubuntu-edu-secondary
    https://packages.ubuntu.com/xenial/ubuntu-edu-preschool

    You didn't mention your release (or flavor of Ubuntu), so I just picked a release (xenial). I also listed `edubuntu-desktop` only as it was my starting point in finding the others (I didn't select by the ages you provided, but in case this is read by others, I provided a broader list).

    You can choose from the list of age appropriate, OR you could install all appropriate for the age group wanted via meta-package. The choice is yours It's likely where I'd start.

    (note: the list may not contain the newest education software; but I believe it'll have many good choices already vetted & deemed appropriate for listed age groups).

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Sunny Southend-on-Sea
    Beans
    7,895
    Distro
    Kubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

    Re: What games for kids do you suggest me?

    As noted, there are games available in the Ubuntu repositories. There are also thousands of Linux-native games available to buy on Steam. Should you be interested in buying games to share with your brothers, my little one has enjoyed

    Contraption Maker
    Poly Bridge / Poly Bridge 2
    Equilinox
    Qube
    The Talos Principle
    No Man's Sky (not actually native, but runs really well in Proton)
    World of Goo
    Two Point Hospital
    Stardew Valley
    The Let's Explore games
    The Big Thinkers games
    Stellaris
    Windward
    Human Resource Machine
    Lit
    Red Planet Farming
    Last edited by CatKiller; August 13th, 2020 at 04:35 PM.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

    Re: What games for kids do you suggest me?

    4 and 6 years old
    You people don't have kids, right? i mean the suggested games are hard. or am i just assuming wrong that the games are for them?

    I wonder why not minecraft, because that one can be really educational. it's like legos + you have coding, wiring... oh well maybe later. if it's because of money, the reis also free and opensource minetest available. a poor man's minecraft, but it has it's benefits (lua scripts etc).

    anyway for that age i would start with gcompris (it's in the software center). it has various educational and fun games for kids to learn how to move the mouse, the basic math problem, letters etc. my boys loved them at that age.

    after their mouse and keyboard coordination get's relatively good you have to decide what kind of games you would allow them to play. for example torchlight are fun, but might need an adult with them to help them out. in general kids mostly like sandbox games where nothing will happen to them. so that's why minecraft is so popular with kids. they can be anyone, make anything and there is nothing really dangerous (in creative mode).
    Read the easy to understand, lots of pics Ubuntu manual.
    Do i need antivirus/firewall in linux?
    Full disk backup (newer kernel -> suitable for newer PC): Clonezilla
    User friendly full disk backup: Rescuezilla

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Sunny Southend-on-Sea
    Beans
    7,895
    Distro
    Kubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

    Re: What games for kids do you suggest me?

    Quote Originally Posted by mastablasta View Post
    You people don't have kids, right? i mean the suggested games are hard. or am i just assuming wrong that the games are for them?
    My little one's 4. We did Qube together when he was 2. He did Talos Principle mostly on his own when he was 3 (he was sat on my lap, and we talked about the puzzles, but the locomotion was almost entirely his work, as were most of the solutions).

    We do No Man's Sky, Lit, Windward, World of Goo, and Red Planet Farming together. Two Point Hospital, Human Resource Machine, Stardew Valley, and Stellaris are ones where he likes to see stuff happen but doesn't control them himself. The rest he can do on his own.

    We'll be playing Slime Rancher at some point in the future, and likely Volcanoids, but I've not done those with him yet so they didn't make the list. He also plays Minecraft, but the OP wasn't interested in that, which is also why I didn't mention Minetest. The Freddi Fish games are probably good, too, but my little one didn't take to them, which is why they didn't make the list of games he's already enjoyed.

    Gaming is a social activity. Children 4 & 6, with someone older nearby, shouldn't have any trouble getting enjoyment out of any of those games.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

    Re: What games for kids do you suggest me?

    Quote Originally Posted by CatKiller View Post
    . Children 4 & 6, with someone older nearby, shouldn't have any trouble getting enjoyment out of any of those games.
    yes, with adults around or with them (multiplayer) they can do more difficult games, but on their own it's a different story.

    i guess the OP wasn't clear about that as well.

    Oh Portal 2 can be an option for 6 yo, but they might need help with some puzzles. if one can play with them (multiplayer) it makes it even more fun. it's amazing how sometimes they find a better solution than adults.
    Read the easy to understand, lots of pics Ubuntu manual.
    Do i need antivirus/firewall in linux?
    Full disk backup (newer kernel -> suitable for newer PC): Clonezilla
    User friendly full disk backup: Rescuezilla

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Aug 2020
    Beans
    31

    Red face Re: What games for kids do you suggest me?

    Quote Originally Posted by heikki-kniivila View Post
    Cities:Skylines
    The day of the tentacle -Remastered
    Thank you

    Quote Originally Posted by guiverc View Post
    I haven't looked at kids [educational or fun] games in years, but I'd likely start with games/packages that were chosen by Edubuntu.

    Examples maybe

    https://packages.ubuntu.com/xenial/edubuntu-desktop

    https://packages.ubuntu.com/xenial/ubuntu-edu-tertiary
    https://packages.ubuntu.com/xenial/ubuntu-edu-secondary
    https://packages.ubuntu.com/xenial/ubuntu-edu-primary
    https://packages.ubuntu.com/xenial/ubuntu-edu-secondary
    https://packages.ubuntu.com/xenial/ubuntu-edu-preschool

    You didn't mention your release (or flavor of Ubuntu), so I just picked a release (xenial). I also listed `edubuntu-desktop` only as it was my starting point in finding the others (I didn't select by the ages you provided, but in case this is read by others, I provided a broader list).

    You can choose from the list of age appropriate, OR you could install all appropriate for the age group wanted via meta-package. The choice is yours It's likely where I'd start.

    (note: the list may not contain the newest education software; but I believe it'll have many good choices already vetted & deemed appropriate for listed age groups).
    I did mention my Ubuntu flavor (Ubuntu 20.04 LTS)
    But thanks for that list

    Quote Originally Posted by CatKiller View Post
    As noted, there are games available in the Ubuntu repositories. There are also thousands of Linux-native games available to buy on Steam. Should you be interested in buying games to share with your brothers, my little one has enjoyed

    Contraption Maker
    Poly Bridge / Poly Bridge 2
    Equilinox
    Qube
    The Talos Principle
    No Man's Sky (not actually native, but runs really well in Proton)
    World of Goo
    Two Point Hospital
    Stardew Valley
    The Let's Explore games
    The Big Thinkers games
    Stellaris
    Windward
    Human Resource Machine
    Lit
    Red Planet Farming
    Thanks for that list

    Quote Originally Posted by mastablasta View Post
    You people don't have kids, right? i mean the suggested games are hard. or am i just assuming wrong that the games are for them?

    I wonder why not minecraft, because that one can be really educational. it's like legos + you have coding, wiring... oh well maybe later. if it's because of money, the reis also free and opensource minetest available. a poor man's minecraft, but it has it's benefits (lua scripts etc).

    anyway for that age i would start with gcompris (it's in the software center). it has various educational and fun games for kids to learn how to move the mouse, the basic math problem, letters etc. my boys loved them at that age.

    after their mouse and keyboard coordination get's relatively good you have to decide what kind of games you would allow them to play. for example torchlight are fun, but might need an adult with them to help them out. in general kids mostly like sandbox games where nothing will happen to them. so that's why minecraft is so popular with kids. they can be anyone, make anything and there is nothing really dangerous (in creative mode).
    Well in my case no minecraft, because my brothers play it in their consoles

    Camelia

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •