Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New in this forum and Ubuntu and I hate cookies

Beans

Question New in this forum and Ubuntu and I hate cookies

Hello, my name is Camelia, I am from Mexico City, AND I just install Ubuntu 20.04 LTS

My first concern is how to clean my System, I do not know yet what garbage I can clean, but for sure Logs and Cookies (I should have tons of them using Google Chrome and Firefox because I have been browsing like there is not tomorrow but I haven't installed nothing from Ubuntu Software Center yet )

So, I search and I found 2 options:

• BleachBit
    • Ubuntu Cleaner

Which one do you suggest me?
    Can I install 2 Junk Cleaners?

If you have a better option please let me know

Thanks
    Camelia
    Last edited by candylovergirl; August 13th, 2020 at 11:30 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: New in this forum and Ubuntu and I hate cookies

Welcome.

I recommend neither.

Stacer is newer, effective, has a nice GUI and very easy to use. Included in Ubuntu 20.04 repositories so no need to add the PPA as instructed in the webpage.

Meanwhile here are a few suggestions for really delicious cookies: https://www.jamieoliver.com/recipes/...baking/cookie/

Beans

Question Re: New in this forum and Ubuntu and I hate cookies

Quote Originally Posted by CelticWarrior View Post
    Welcome.

I recommend neither.

Stacer is newer, effective, has a nice GUI and very easy to use. Included in Ubuntu 20.04 repositories so no need to add the PPA as instructed in the webpage.

Meanwhile here are a few suggestions for really delicious cookies: https://www.jamieoliver.com/recipes/...baking/cookie/
    Thank you!

Can I know what is wrong with

• BleachBit
    • Ubuntu Cleaner ?

Is Stacer in the Ubuntu store?

I don't know how to install via Terminal, Using this command will do it?

sudo add-apt-repository ppaguzhaninan/stacer
    sudo apt-get update
    sudo apt-get install stacer
    Thanks for the suggestions for really delicious cookies

Camelia
    Last edited by candylovergirl; August 13th, 2020 at 12:31 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Stacer is in the repositories therefore available at the Ubuntu store. And can be installed simply with 'sudo apt install stacer', no need to add the PPA, it's only for older Ubuntu releases.

There's no fundamental problem with the tools you asked about except when you don't really know what you're doing and end up deleting more thing than you should.

Beans

I use this method and have zero complaints.

https://easylinuxtipsproject.blogspo...an-ubuntu.html
    Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.
    (Mark Twain)

Beans

If you want to clear browser cookies, right-click on any page, select inspect, and select the storage tab (FireFox and Chrome/Chromium.) You can delete all cookies from there.

Also I have set my browsers to disable all third party cookies, these are the ones that track your movements across multiple web sites. It only "breaks" a small set of sites IME. I have one site it breaks, a mortgage e-signing site, I enable all cookies just for that site.

Note that clearing cookies will sometimes clear the cookies that keep you logged in to some web sites.

Beans

Are you low on space?

I can also suggest removing old unused kernels

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

If you go to System Settings>Privacy you can adjust some of the settings of the Ubuntu operating system itself.

Regards
    It is a machine. It is more stupid than we are. It will not stop us from doing stupid things.
    Ubuntu user #33,200. Linux user #530,530

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Welcome Camelia. I've used Bleachbit in the past and it caused no problems I was aware of. Others have had Bleachbit work too well and delete things it shouldn't. Bleachbit will permit you to choose what to delete and if you want to delete them completely or I think you can keep keep deleted files in temporary storage until you're sure you didn't delete anything important.

Beans

Red face Re: New in this forum and Ubuntu and I hate cookies

Quote Originally Posted by CelticWarrior View Post
    Stacer is in the repositories therefore available at the Ubuntu store. And can be installed simply with 'sudo apt install stacer', no need to add the PPA, it's only for older Ubuntu releases.

There's no fundamental problem with the tools you asked about except when you don't really know what you're doing and end up deleting more thing than you should.
    I will try first stacer and when I have time Bleachbit

Thank you

Quote Originally Posted by poorguy View Post
    I use this method and have zero complaints.

https://easylinuxtipsproject.blogspo...an-ubuntu.html
    Oh! this is a very good link, thanks

Quote Originally Posted by sdsurfer View Post
    If you want to clear browser cookies, right-click on any page, select inspect, and select the storage tab (FireFox and Chrome/Chromium.) You can delete all cookies from there.

Also I have set my browsers to disable all third party cookies, these are the ones that track your movements across multiple web sites. It only "breaks" a small set of sites IME. I have one site it breaks, a mortgage e-signing site, I enable all cookies just for that site.

Note that clearing cookies will sometimes clear the cookies that keep you logged in to some web sites.
    I don not like to store cookies, what about the tracking cookies? I want them all away from my system!

Quote Originally Posted by ActionParsnip View Post
    Are you low on space?

I can also suggest removing old unused kernels
    Thanks I got a link from @poorguy

Quote Originally Posted by grahammechanical View Post
    If you go to System Settings>Privacy you can adjust some of the settings of the Ubuntu operating system itself.

Regards
    Thanks, I will check from there just to learn.

Quote Originally Posted by kurt18947 View Post
    Welcome Camelia. I've used Bleachbit in the past and it caused no problems I was aware of. Others have had Bleachbit work too well and delete things it shouldn't. Bleachbit will permit you to choose what to delete and if you want to delete them completely or I think you can keep keep deleted files in temporary storage until you're sure you didn't delete anything important.
    Thank you Bleachbit will be my second option

Camelia
    Last edited by candylovergirl; August 14th, 2020 at 11:40 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast