Thread: Is this Tlauncher Minecraft launcher safe?

Beans

Is this Tlauncher Minecraft launcher safe?

Hello everybody, I hope y'all doing well! I'm new to Ubuntu, and I have installed this Tlauncher Minecraft launcher. Upon installing the java version - (there is also a flatpak version) I read the readme file and it said to click on launcher.jar and change to execute it as a program (which I understand, as other java programs ask the same) but it also said in the read me to execute it as root (to prevent graphical glitches?). Anyhow, I executed once (without root permission) and then I uninstalled it and OpenJDK.

But now I'm scared. Maybe this TLauncher is a virus? I don't know..It is a famous alternative launcher and it does have a flatpak on flathub but still..the whole root permission thing was weird..What are the odds that it infected my machine? Should I wipe my drive and install again? My machine does look normal, but I'm a noon..How can I tell?

Anyway, thanks for your attention!

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Re: Is this Tlauncher Minecraft launcher safe?

flatpacks are self contained. you would probably need to run as root if you have java installed outside of this flapack.
    Read the easy to understand, lots of pics Ubuntu manual.
    Do i need antivirus/firewall in linux?
    Full disk backup (newer kernel -> suitable for newer PC): Clonezilla
    User friendly full disk backup: Rescuezilla

Beans

Tlauncher is perfectly safe. Assuming you download it from a reputable website and not some dodgy knock-off

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

yep its safe if you didnt get it from a suspicius source