Thread: Easy Peasy Os help - installing new Webbrowser possible? Eeepc

Beans

Easy Peasy Os help - installing new Webbrowser possible? Eeepc

Hello,

I'm new here and I would like to ask for help to solve this problem.
    My hardware is a eeepc 701 with 2 GB ram and 4 GB HDD.
    I installed Easy Peasy and I find it pretty nice for this low power eeepc.
    The problem is the outdated Firefox browser.
    I tried everything I could to update or installing another browser, but I can't figure it out.
    Is it possible or not worth to go on with this Os ?

Thx

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Re: Easy Peasy Os help - installing new Webbrowser possible? Eeepc

I'm afraid that distro is no longer in existence, and therefore will no longer be possible to update or use safely.
    The final version of EasyPeasy was in 2010, so presumably, being a Ubuntu derived distro, it was based on Ubuntu-10.04 which lost support at least 5 years ago, maybe even longer.

Are you sure the HDD is only 4GB? That seems incredibly tiny to me and will probably not allow you to run any of the Ubuntu family of distros, and may not even allow Debian 10. However, I have a fairly similar netbook of the same vintage and that runs Debian-10 with the LXDE desktop. Mine, however, has a 160GB HDD
    It is not fast, and I do not bother with the normal office suite of LibreOffice but use Abiword and Gnumeric instead, both smaller and more useful on such low powered machines.
    For the web-browser, do not bother with Firefox or chromium as they will be tortuously slow; try epiphany-browser.

If that is not successful your only way to use that machine may be with a live USB running something like Puppy-Linux or one of its group of distros. They will run entirely from RAM so are quite fast and the 4GB HDD will not be a limiting factor for a live system.

Beans

Yes it's only 4 GB. There many Os which need low HDD, but most of them are outdated .
    My problem is that I tried to download and install another browser with no luck.
    The eeepc would be only to surf and watch some videos on YouTube.
    How to install epiphany browser ?

Beans

Worse it doesn't look like you can replace the drive:

In the 2 GB and 4 GB models of the 700 series of the Eee PC, the SSD is permanently soldered to the board.

I have a Eeepc 1201N. It has an SD card slot, and it appears the 700 does as well. Perhaps you could expand the storage space with an SD card. DK if you can boot from the SD card, but if you can, a 128 GB SD card costs only about $20 these days. If you can boot from the card, I'd take that route.
    Last edited by SeijiSensei; August 13th, 2020 at 07:11 PM.
    If you ask for help, do not abandon your request. Please have the courtesy to check for responses and thank the people who helped you.

Blog · Linode System Administration Guides · Android Apps for Ubuntu Users