Thread: Since upgrade to 20.04 printer fails with 'Filter failed' message

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 19.10 Eoan Ermine

Since upgrade to 20.04 printer fails with 'Filter failed' message

Hi guys - I have a Dell 1320c colour laser printer that I have been using happily for some years with the Fuji Xerox Docuprint C525 driver. Since I upgraded from 18.04 to 20.04 the printer fails with the message 'Filter failed' and I can print nothing. I have tried removing the printer, re-installing and finally removing the driver.

When I tried to reinstall the .deb package for the c525 the package refused to install. I asked Mr Google and it seems that multiarch-support is no longer available in 20.04. I eventually managed to convert a .rpm package to a all.deb package which then installed and the driver became available in Cups and the printer configuration from system settings. I can set the printer up, the cartridge levels are detected, but attempting to print anything will result in 'Filter failed'. The help of your planet-sized brains would be of some great assistance if you could help me get the printer working again. Thanks.
    $> cd /pub
    $> more beer

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu

Re: Since upgrade to 20.04 printer fails with 'Filter failed' message

Can't help with your printer "filter" issue but I used to have a Dell Laser printer and I used lexmark driver. Apparently they were the same. Not sure if that is still the case but might be worth looking into.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 19.10 Eoan Ermine

After further research online, the filters are failing because they remain 32 bit and will not operate in a totally 64 bit environment. So I'm stuck unless there is some way of enabling multiarch-support on 20.04. Does anyone know if this is possible. Anyone want to buy a Dell 1320c?
    $> cd /pub
    $> more beer

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu Development Release

Thread moved to Hardware.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 19.10 Eoan Ermine

Solved this by downloading and installing multiarch-support and libc6:i386 libncurses5:i386 libstdc++6:i386, removing driver and reinstalling i386 .deb and configuring printer in CUPS. Phew! But working now.
    $> cd /pub
    $> more beer