Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Not understanding or otherwise: I cant burn an iso file (19.11)

Beans

Unhappy Not understanding or otherwise: I cant burn an iso file (19.11)

I have saved in my "downloads" file a Fedora install. It's an iso file and I simply want to burn it onto a usb sick such that I can boot from it and install this Fedora.
    Though when I use Startup Disk it will simply not let me open the iso. It detects my 8GB usb no issues (shows at the bottom of the window that it opens with).

I cant find 3rd party software that will let me burn onto the usb since all i get is deamon and rufus and all the other windows programs for this.

Thanks for your time

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu

Re: Not understanding or otherwise: I cant burn an iso file (19.11)

I'd recommend just using the 'dd' command.

- open terminal
    - sudo blkid = check the device id for your usb stick
    - type command: dd if=/path/to/iso/file of=/dev/sd? (replace the '?' with the letter for your usb stick)

Beans

--Try unetbootin, and make sure the permissions on your ISO file are correct for your userid.

https://unetbootin.github.io/

--Permissions should be at least: rwx------ yourid whatevergroup

...and you also need at least r-x permissions for the directory containing the ISO, or have appropriate Group permissions to be able to "find" it

Beans

re: to jp734

thanks ! I had seen this before but my luck with cmd is a very sad story to tell.
    Though , providing I got the right "usb stick letter") It says "dd: failed to open /dev/sdb: permission denied"
    Last edited by fprnar; August 12th, 2020 at 01:29 AM.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by kneutron View Post
    --Try unetbootin, and make sure the permissions on your ISO file are correct for your userid.

https://unetbootin.github.io/

--Permissions should be at least: rwx------ yourid whatevergroup

...and you also need at least r-x permissions for the directory containing the ISO, or have appropriate Group permissions to be able to "find" it
    I got lost mainly from my own incomptance but also my ubuntu has been dying so its really hard to do the simple tasks without crumbling under failure.

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu

then type "sudo dd ........"

Once you understand how this work, I'm sure you will like it. And it doesn't matter what linux you're using.

If you need further assistance. you can take a screenshot and post. I'll be glad to assist.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Be careful. DD's original meaning was "Data Definition". Its nickname nowadays is Disk Destroyer.
    Please read The Forum Rules and The Forum Posting Guidelines

A thing discovered and kept to oneself must be discovered time and again by others. A thing discovered and shared with others need be discovered only the once.
    This universe is crazy. I'm going back to my own.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

A safe and very easy to use tool is Balena Etcher. It works exactly as the main page's animation suggests.

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by QIII View Post
    Be careful. DD's original meaning was "Data Definition". Its nickname nowadays is Disk Destroyer.
    Oh, that's not good - What kind of problems is it causing now a days. I've always use it and still using and never have an issue but will start a research. Though I agree, a simple one character mistake can wipe out a drive that's why I check multiple times before hitting the return key.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

I've always use it and still using and never have an issue but will start a research.
    Good for you. That means that you never inadvertently select the wrong destination and run DD. It won't ask questions nor show warnings, it jus does what it was (wrongly) told to do, hence the nickname.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast