Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: While trying to upgrade from 18.04 to 20,04 error occurs

Beans

Re: While trying to upgrade from 18.04 to 20,04 error occurs

Impavidus,
    I don't know how. I opened an LX Terminal then opened into GNU nano 2.9.3 /var/tmp/sourcesXXmGMxd0.list and was able to edit the text, I closed the window then opened another LXTerminal and did the same and when the GNU nano window opened the list was the same before I edited it the last time. So I edited the list again then closed and upon checking the list was the same as before.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

You have to save the file and close the text editor, not the terminal (at least, not until after you closed the text editor). nano shows all keyboard commands ot the bottom of the screen, ^X means ctrl+x etc. So to save a file, hit ctrl+o, to exit the text editor hit ctrl+x. If you close the terminal before closing the text editor, sudoedit and the text editor get killed and have no chance to save the file.

There is a terminal, inside the terminal is a shell, inside the shell is sudoedit, inside sudoedit is nano. And to do it properly, after opening those left to right, you have to close them right to left. First save the temporary file and close the text editor, then sudoedit will detect that, will save the file to the permanent root-owned location and sudoedit will terminate, then it's save to close the terminal and the shell. You see?

Beans

Impavidus
    Thanks for your help. Yes I did figure what the controls at the bottom were. I instead found and uploaded a File Cleaner STACER and used that and found the files and deleted them and changed the two others to BIONIC. I was then I used the terminal to do an upgrade, which worked and upgraded. Problem was that it worked OK but when it rebooted the screen froze at the login screen and I cannot open. I have since (on another PC) downloaded an ISO file onto a usb key and have tried to do a complete new upgrade, without success.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

I don't like such tools. Installing and learning how to use such a tool is harder than just doing the job manually. If the tool can be used to automate frequent tasks, that's OK, but fixing a broken sources.list is not a frequent task. And I want transparency, want to know what's going on. But if it works for you, that's OK.

So now you attempted a release upgrade, the computer fails to boot now and you decided to try a fresh install after all? Broken release upgrades are hard to fix. Usually fresh install is better. If you've any difficulty with that, better start a new thread, as it's a new problem.

Beans

Impavidus

Thanks for your help

Beans

I finally loaded 20.04.1. After the usb flash drive I had loaded 20.04.1 image would not boot and was unable to operate my laptop, I did some further research and found the website https://www.balena.io/etcher/ So following instructions, on my borrowed laptop, I formatted my usb flash drive. Then downloaded from Ubuntu the 20.04.1 image onto the hard drive. Then I used the https://www.balena.io/etcher/ website and transferred successfully the Image from the hard drive onto the usb flash drive. which I then tried the flash drive on my laptop, turned on the laptop and I saw it boot up and start to load the 20.04.1. Finally I was in operation again and after a couple of hours, had my laptop back and in full operation.
    I will now close this thread with a solved.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12