Thread: ubuntu equivalent to mapped drives

Beans

ubuntu equivalent to mapped drives

I have a 16.04lts server running Samba. From Windows pc i can map drives on a persistent basis and access them directly. Is there a Ubuntu equivalent?
    I have tried searching Google but haven't found anything exactly matching

From Ubuntu I seem to have to login to the network before I open the editor. Then Sublime Text will work but not Brackets - it wants to use ftp

Am I missing something

Thanks

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Lubuntu Development Release

Re: ubuntu equivalent to mapped drives

FYI: Lubuntu 16.04 LTS being a flavor of Ubuntu had only 3 years of supported life (https://lubuntu.me/xenial-5-released/ http://fridge.ubuntu.com/2019/03/01/...-lts-released/) which ended 2019-April.

Ubuntu 16.04 LTS Server (no desktop) or Desktop (Unity 7) have 5 years of supported life and are still supported. Refer release notes, or use `ubuntu-support-status` or your own system to confirm this is the case.

Myself I don't use SaMBa regularly (I rely on NFS), so I most run a script to cause my [SaMBa] mounts to occur, however in the past when I've wanted to have them auto-mount, they were described in the file system table (/etc/fstab) so were mounted on boot (the lines are commented out now).

Beans

The file server with the files i want to edit is running the server version of 16.04LTS. I'm just now in the process of setting up an 18.04lts desktop to replace my windows 10. I have mounted files on an ntfs system in the past but I find Samba a lot more convenient with Windows.
    Would you mind sharing your script for automounting Samba shares
    Thanks

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

I'm not sure I can help, but do you mean you are on an Open Directory/Active Directory/LDAP network that you have to log into?

Beans

it's a plain "out of the box" local area network
    From Windows I can map a permanent connection by a one time creation of a desktop shortcut and

Select a drive letter
    enter address e.g. \\192.168.1.89\samba share name
    enter userid and password

Thanks

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Hi! This is not a direct answer to your question, but a bit of a read here (confusing as it may be to you right now) might help you familiarize yourself with the bits and pieces.

Don't do anything immediately after reading. You'll still have a lot of questions and we'll have a lot of (hopefully helpul) answers.
    Please read The Forum Rules and The Forum Posting Guidelines

A thing discovered and kept to oneself must be discovered time and again by others. A thing discovered and shared with others need be discovered only the once.
    This universe is crazy. I'm going back to my own.

Beans

I'm okay with fstab - I've done it before between 2 ubuntu servers. It's a lot messier than just mapping a network drive in Windows

But if that's what I have to do, then I will

Thanks

Beans

If you have a mixed network with Windows and Linux clients, you can run both Samba and NFS to share the same directories. I do that myself. Most of the time I'm running Linux and thus use NFS, but I run the occasional Windows session and connect to the Samba server.

You can set up a permanent NFS mount in /etc/fstab.
    If you ask for help, do not abandon your request. Please have the courtesy to check for responses and thank the people who helped you.

Blog · Linode System Administration Guides · Android Apps for Ubuntu Users

Beans

okay, that's what I'll do

Thanks