Thread: LibreOffice

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

LibreOffice

why does ubuntu always have LibreOffice vers 1.6.4.4 installed? Mine is at 7.0, but it always seems to be there.

Linux is NOT Windows. Doesn't PRETEND to be, Doesn't WANT to be; Don't try to MAKE it be.

Beans

Re: LibreOffice

It depends on the source. Ubuntu 20.04 repository will provide 6.4.4.4, while Snap = 6.4.5.2, and Flatpak = 7.0.0.3

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

And https://www.libreoffice.org/download/download/ offers 7.0.0.3 .deb packages. It's best to uninstall your existing version first. I find synaptic the best tool for doing that - there are many packages to remove.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

I have recently found the best way to run LibreOffice 7.0 is to use the appimage.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Quote Originally Posted by ping-wu View Post
    I have recently found the best way to run LibreOffice 7.0 is to use the appimage.
    But that
    • doesn't integrate with the OS patches
    • requires manual updates
    • newer isn't always better
    • includes all he other issues using self-contained packages (slow, bloated, often constrained without local control, doesn't always work)

For people like me, the version of libreoffice on 16.04 is what I want on all releases. Newer versions change some things, not always for the better.

For LTS releases, businesses don't want change. We want the same version, just with security updates only. That's different from what a home user or developer may want. Often those users think that newer is better, always. They typically load a new Linux OS every 6 months.

To each their own. Whatever meets your needs best.
    Last edited by TheFu; August 11th, 2020 at 04:29 PM. Reason: "Newer versions" for clarity

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu Development Release

Thread moved to Ubuntu, Linux and OS Chat.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

The OP may be confusing "build" with "version". Other than that, I am more interested in file compatibility mode than anything else. Right now everything seems to work fine with my on the job spreadsheets (Windows). I keep everything compatible at work. That seems to be the trick for me. It seems to me that it is the corporate user not so much the home user that has the big interest in office software.Without compatibility I need a VM, dual boot, or a second system. Right now everything is groovy (yes, pun intended).

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Oops. What I meant to say is "I have recently found the best way to run LibreOffice 7.0 is to use the appimage", along with the existing Ubuntu 20.04 built. The two LibreOffice versions have their own .config folders and seem to be happily running independent of each other without any conflict. At lease so far.

Even with the 7.0 version, I am still not able to turn on OpenCL (I have installed the Vulkan driver). I am running Ubuntu 20.04.1 on Ryzen 7 + Ryzen 580.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

I'm actually referring to 1.6.4.4 installed along side 7.0.0.3

Linux is NOT Windows. Doesn't PRETEND to be, Doesn't WANT to be; Don't try to MAKE it be.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

I'm actually referring to 1.6.4.4 installed along side 7.0.0.3
    Depends on where each is installed from,
    You can have the apt version (from either the repos or PPA) the snap version, the flatpak version, and the appimage version all installed at once side by side (by side by side).
    Edit: I also forgot you can also have a source built version installed too.
    (And maybe the Windows version through Wine, if possible)

Bottom line is there are many ways to have multiple version of packages installed at the same time.
    Last edited by deadflowr; August 17th, 2020 at 06:47 PM.
    Splat Double Splat Triple Splat
    Earn Your Keep
    Don't mind me, I'm only passing through.
    Once in a blue moon, I'm actually helpful