Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Re: Value of reserved blocks is sometimes changed

Can you please post the output of
    Code:
    du -sh | grep -v snap
    lsblk -fmap | grep -v snap
    so we can see what partitions and sizes you actually have.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate

Code:
    du -sh | grep -v snap
    1.3G	.
    Code:
    NAME        FSTYPE   LABEL       UUID                                 MOUNTPOINT                      SIZE OWNER GROUP MODE
    /dev/loop3                                                                                                 root  disk  brw-rw----
    /dev/loop11                                                                                                root  disk  brw-rw----
    /dev/sda                                                                                              1.8T root  disk  brw-rw----
    └─/dev/sda1 ext4                 81353260-b5a5-4b72-9fce-432e7c620fdc /                               1.8T root  disk  brw-rw----
    /dev/sdb                                                                                            298.1G root  disk  brw-rw----
    ├─/dev/sdb1 ext3     MAXTOR_SDB1 b3b0f384-9e2e-45f5-8995-932f1113f59d /media/storagedrive            98.4G root  disk  brw-rw----
    └─/dev/sdb2 ext3     MAXTOR_SDB2 e0dadb1c-0161-4862-8e95-7c42d8f7fb03 /media/andy/MAXTOR_SDB2       199.7G root  disk  brw-rw----
    /dev/sr0                                                                                            562.9M root  cdrom brw-rw----
    Last edited by raleigh3; August 12th, 2020 at 07:33 AM.
    Ubuntu Mate 18.04 Bionic
    Mate Desktop

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate 16.04 Xenial Xerus

code tags?

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

@raleigh3
    With my apologies, please can you also post the output of
    Code:
    df -h | grep -v snap
    However, we can see that you do indeed have a single 2TB partition for Linux, and a 300G external drive.
    At the moment, I expect to see that 2TB is, as you say, 2% full which would leave me wondering what this is all about.
    Please can you explain how you set the reserved blocks to 1%, and how you see their usage (post command and output if possible). It's not that we're doubting what you say, but it eliminates the possibility of misunderstandings.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate 16.04 Xenial Xerus

[QUOTE=raleigh3;13978913]Does this refer to my 2 Tbytes of space on my hard drive or the reserved blocks being used up?

Re-read #9 above. It is about full file systems. That's what df and df -i show.

Technically speaking, directories don't fill up - well, beyond just having so many files that access becomes slow. File systems do fill up. Directories with over about 400 files get slower and slower as more files are added. That's just the nature of having to retrieve and display information on so much file information. When working on directories with 100,000+ files, normal commands just don't work. They break. Best to build a directory tree.

IMHO, having / over about 25G is a poor storage design choice. Keep the OS separate from all data. A Unix OS will never need over 100G of storage, no matter how bloated the OS may be. Keep the data separate from the OS.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12