Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Grub fatal error Ubuntu 20.04 nvme

Beans

Grub fatal error Ubuntu 20.04 nvme

Good morning,
    I'm new here and I registered and I'm new writing about a big installation problem.

I bought a new laptop, an HP OMEN 15-dh0 with a NVMe SSD and a Sata HDD.
    I want to install Ubuntu alongside Windows and this isn't the first time I do something like this.

I disabled the secure boot; I created a partition in the ssd for Ubuntu and a partition in the HDD for the /home but when I actually installed Ubuntu, the grub installation failed with a fatal error:
    Cannot install in /dev/nvme0n1.

I read something about this, and I tried to install it into /dev/nvme0n1p1, the windows loader, without success. I tried several times boot-repair, every time with not clear error, and to install it manually, with similar error of the installer.

Any ideas?

Thank you

! SOLUTION !

I was booting Ubuntu with acpi=off flag, because of some issues at first boots.
    Trying to solve the grub installation issue I update the BIOS to F.32.
    Searching for refind errors I found out something about an ACPI issue so I tried to re-enable ACPI at boot time.
    Now not only the ACPI issues are gone but also grub installation finishes without troubles.
    Last edited by aeternus.ignis; August 17th, 2020 at 11:40 AM. Reason: Solution

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: Grub fatal error Ubuntu 20.04 nvme

Welcome.

You'd be installing in UEFI mode so you also need a small FAT32 partition (~300MB should be enough for a lot of OSes) at the beginning of the drive that is defined as first priority in the boot order (can be changed in UEFI settings). Then you can use "something else" to install by selecting the ESP (EFI System Partition) previously created or create in the moment in that dialog), the root partition and a separated /home partition if you want.

Beans

Thank you!
    I already have a ESP partition used to boot by Windows and there I tried to install Grub. I have also tried to make another ESP and install it, but the results were the same...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Only ONE ESP per drive! Actually only one per system is recommended but no problem in having it duplicated in a different drive (it has some advantages but it takes more work and, again, not really needed).

If you want a dual-boot with Windows then you must disable Windows "Fast Startup" feature, otherwise the Ubuntu installer won't be able to mount the NTFS partitions properly and sometimes not even the ESP which will cause the error you reported. Also Fast Boot in UEFI should be disabled.

Last but not least you need to assure you're booting the installer in UEFI mode because how it boots is how it installs.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

In addition a few systems have some sort of way to lock ESP in UEFI settings. Check your UEFI.
    May be related to UEFI Secure Boot. Is Secure Boot on?

HP Elitebook 840 G5 gpt issues -
    HP put a fail-safe gpt recovery into the UEFI Settings, go into the UEFI Menu in Security -> Hard Drive Utilities -> Uncheck "Save/restore GPT System of Hard Drive"
    https://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2436271

HP also only wants to boot Windows.
    Some have posted that UEFI update and only changing boot order in UEFI works. Using efibootmgr which grub uses to set grub/ubuntu as first in boot order does not work.
    HP change boot order in UEFI boot
    https://ubuntuforums.org/showthread....1#post13952881
    For more info on UEFI boot install & repair - Regularly Updated :
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2147295
    Please use Thread Tools above first post to change to [Solved] when/if answered completely.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by CelticWarrior View Post
    Only ONE ESP per drive! Actually only one per system is recommended but no problem in having it duplicated in a different drive (it has some advantages but it takes more work and, again, not really needed).
    Ok! Pretty clear, just one! Was a try and I will not do this anymore

Last but not least you need to assure you're booting the installer in UEFI mode because how it boots is how it installs.
    Yes, I'm sure of it.

If you want a dual-boot with Windows then you must disable Windows "Fast Startup" feature, otherwise the Ubuntu installer won't be able to mount the NTFS partitions properly and sometimes not even the ESP which will cause the error you reported. Also Fast Boot in UEFI should be disabled.
    Quote Originally Posted by oldfred View Post
    In addition a few systems have some sort of way to lock ESP in UEFI settings. Check your UEFI.
    May be related to UEFI Secure Boot. Is Secure Boot on?

HP Elitebook 840 G5 gpt issues -
    HP put a fail-safe gpt recovery into the UEFI Settings, go into the UEFI Menu in Security -> Hard Drive Utilities -> Uncheck "Save/restore GPT System of Hard Drive"
    https://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2436271

HP also only wants to boot Windows.
    Some have posted that UEFI update and only changing boot order in UEFI works. Using efibootmgr which grub uses to set grub/ubuntu as first in boot order does not work.
    HP change boot order in UEFI boot
    https://ubuntuforums.org/showthread....1#post13952881
    I disabled fast reboot in Windows, without better results; and I've lost the last day searching for a way to enter in the UEFI settings. I think I only see the basic settings and I've tried everything to enter the UEFI ones without success, I think I going to call the HP assistance.

EDIT: I called them, HP seems to allow the edit only of a subset of settings and the UEFI fast boot isn't included... What can I do?
    Last edited by aeternus.ignis; August 11th, 2020 at 03:49 PM. Reason: New information

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Some systems only open the additional settings if you set a UEFI password.
    But never lose that password or reset to blank when done, or else you may brick system.
    For more info on UEFI boot install & repair - Regularly Updated :
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2147295
    Please use Thread Tools above first post to change to [Solved] when/if answered completely.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by oldfred View Post
    Some systems only open the additional settings if you set a UEFI password.
    But never lose that password or reset to blank when done, or else you may brick system.
    Just tried without results...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

You probably have found out this by now but for the sake of completeness: In most HP UEFI systems users press ESC at the boot time. In the next menu users choose F10 to access UEFI settings.

Beans

You probably have found out this by now but for the sake of completeness: In most HP UEFI systems users press ESC at the boot time. In the next menu users choose F10 to access UEFI settings.
    Yes, this is the way I tried; in general I think that the ESC menu is just a summary of the Fn options, in fact, pressing F9 instead of ESC or after ESC menu has the same effect. I upload in order ESC menu, F9 menu and boot tab in F9 menu:
    ESC_menu.jpgF9_menu.jpgF9_menu_boot_tab.jpg

I tried to get more info from grub-install verbose output, but after a lot of [info], it ends this way:

Code:
    grub-install: info: Registering with EFI: distributor = `ubuntu', path = `\EFI\ubuntu\shimx64.efi', ESP at hostdisk//dev/nvme0n1,gpt1.
    grub-install: warning: Internal error.
    grub-install: error: failed to register the EFI boot entry: Operation not permitted.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast