Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: it's normal that installation is without swap and that os freeze ?

Beans

it's normal that installation is without swap and that os freeze ?

Hi,
    I installed lubuntu some weeks ago, but the os freeze usually when I have 12-15 tabs open on firefox.
    I have a quadcore with 4 gb of ram.
    Also I discovered that the swap was not been created then in my opinion the freeze depend of lack of ram.
    My questions are:

- is that normal that the default install is without swap ?
    - is that normal that a simple browser with around 15 tabs open make the os freeze ?

Thank you and please let me know your opinion.
    OceanBottle.

Beans

Re: it's normal that installation is without swap and that os freeze ?

Ubuntu uses a swap file now rather than a swap partition.

Beans

How I know if it uses swap file ?
    in the processes I don't see anything about swap...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

in the processes I don't see anything about swap...
    What processes?
    Is that a program or something?
    Splat Double Splat Triple Splat
    Earn Your Keep
    Don't mind me, I'm only passing through.
    Once in a blue moon, I'm actually helpful

Beans

The utility 'top' shows swap use.

The OS uses swap space for multiple things, including 'suspend'. Browsers easily get into a situation where some swap space is needed and if your machine doesn't have any, then it will grind to a halt.

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu Development Release

You haven't said which release of Lubuntu you installed and are using.

Lubuntu 20.04 LTS does not have swap enabled by default, many users (particularly those using SSD) don't want it.

I'll refer you to https://www.digitalocean.com/communi...n-ubuntu-20-04 as the Lubuntu manual doesn't have a swap partition page (yet; it's in the to do list).

Lubuntu 18.04 LTS by default uses a /swapfile which I'd likely increase the size of for my boxes (esp. if using 4GB of ram or less); though most of my boxes have a swap partition.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

A web browser with 15 tabs can easily use all your 4GB RAM. All those needless ads and spyware scripts take a lot of memory. Some websites are better, some are worse.

top and free can tell you about memory and swap usage. Note that a web browser may run multiple processes, one for each tab, and that memory usage per process isn't straightforward to analyse, as memory may be shared by multiple processes and other details.

Beans

Go to the section about Swappiness and have a read and I suggest doing that tweak as it may offer a minor performance increase based on my experience.

https://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2130640

No guarantee it will solve your problem as mentioned above 12 to 15 tabs opened will use a lot of memory.
    Last edited by poorguy; August 10th, 2020 at 09:01 AM.
    Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.
    (Mark Twain)

Beans

I solved the problem, but my question concern if it's normal that lubuntu (which is a distro for old pc) doesn't have a swap partition or file in fresh install especially if the os crash just opening the browser with 15 tabs. It's absurd!
    So please read again my first post, because my question is NOT how to solve problem, but if it's normal that a fresh install of lubuntu come out without swap partition or file especially if just firefox can freeze the os.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by oceanbottle View Post
    I solved the problem, but my question concern if it's normal that lubuntu (which is a distro for old pc) doesn't have a swap partition or file in fresh install especially if the os crash just opening the browser with 15 tabs. It's absurd!
    So please read again my first post, because my question is NOT how to solve problem, but if it's normal that a fresh install of lubuntu come out without swap partition or file especially if just firefox can freeze the os.
    #6 above answers your question. It is normal for Lubuntu to not have swap enabled by default. People with SSDs but quite a bit of RAM (8 GB+) don't want swap enabled by default, swap creates unnecessary writes/wear on SSDs. It's not difficult to create a swap file. Here is a pretty straight forward set of instructions, it doesn't look like the 'flavor' matters.

https://www.fosslinux.com/1064/how-t...linux-mint.htm

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast