Thread: conky / IP / VPN

Beans

conky / IP / VPN

just curious,my conky shows my local and external IP ,but when i jump on a VPN ,the external IP on conky doesn't change.
    nothing serious ,doesn't bother me , just thinking why IP doesn't change.
    thanks!
    xubuntu 20.04 LTS (focal fossa)

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: conky / IP / VPN

That is because your external IP didn't change. What changes with a VPN is the IP seen by the sites you're visiting.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

I can't imagine why but then I don't know very much about VPNs and have never used one.

However the VPN is "virtual," so perhaps it still uses the Public IP that is from your ISP, even when you're using the VPN?

What command do you use in the conky configuration file?
    Mine uses
    Code:
    PUBLIC IP: ${alignr}${execi 3600 curl  ipinfo.io/ip}
    EDIT:
    There you are; ninja'd by CW.

Beans

That is because your external IP didn't change. What changes with a VPN is the IP seen by the sites you're visiting
    ok that sort of makes sense
    i just thought VPN changes YOUR IP ,not even your ISP can see what you doing?

What command do you use in the conky configuration file?
    Code:
    ${execi 1000 ip a | grep inet | grep -vw lo | grep -v inet6 | cut -d \/ -f1 | sed 's/[^0-9\.]*//g'}  ${alignr}${execi 1000  wget -q -O- http://ipecho.net/plain; echo}

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

i just thought VPN changes YOUR IP ,not even your ISP can see what you doing?
    Please note I'm no expert, you should wait for answers from the actual experts.

A VPN is a sort of tunnel between you and the VPN provider, typically encrypted. So, your ISP probably won't be able to see what you're doing except that you're connecting to the VPN's IP and the amount of traffic. Your ISP can see that you're sending and receiving packages and how big or small they are to a "mail forwarder" but not what's inside. Your house address is the still the same but known by the "mail forwarder" only. The site sending you back the packets only knows (and logs) the forwarder's address.

Beans

You just need to use good VPN and I think that NORD is the best one you can find. What's good about it also is that you can get it for much lower price if you use some promo codes. It's really easy to find them, just go watch any major youtubers video, a lot of them are promoting it. Another one that is good is Expressvpn and even Pirate bay is promoting them. You can get it with 49% off if you are TPB user. If you cannot access TPB you will need to use TPB proxies to unblock it. It is really easy because there are a lot of them.
    Last edited by traceybower; 3 Weeks Ago at 10:24 AM.

Beans