Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: How to set a particular web address as homepage for all network clients

Beans

Re: How to set a particular web address as homepage for all network clients

Quote Originally Posted by SeijiSensei View Post
    Yes. I thought that was the point.
    Not really. I just want to "set their browser's homepage" to be a particular page on the local web server. That's all. Their browsers must take them to that page the first time they open the browser.
    One is glad to be at service.

Beans

That's not hard to do. Here, for example, are the instructions for Firefox: https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb...-the-home-page

However this is very easy for the users to circumvent. If the clients use Ubuntu, you could try some tricks like making the $HOME/.mozilla directory read-only, but I don't know how you're handling authentication and the choice of the initial shell. Does each user have a separate login? Where are their home directories? On the server using NFS?
    If you ask for help, do not abandon your request. Please have the courtesy to check for responses and thank the people who helped you.

Blog · Linode System Administration Guides · Android Apps for Ubuntu Users

Beans

Clients computers are windows based and most use Internet Explorer and MS Edge. We only used file server mostly for shared documents and databases, Clients computer still save documents locally and not on the server. The risk of home directories being down when the server is down is too great.

Beans

Post Re: How to set a particular web address as homepage for all network clients

Quote Originally Posted by SeijiSensei View Post
    That's not hard to do. Here, for example, are the instructions for Firefox: https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb...-the-home-page
    I am actually trying to avoid setting the home page for each and every client PC. I will do that as the last option.

Beans

Do you use the Microsoft administrative tools to manage your network? It's apparently possible to set the browser home page using the Group Policy Management Console.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/mic...fault-homepage

Otherwise I'm out of options.

I'm puzzled by your comment about the possibility of the server being down. I have a client that runs an MS network with 250 client workstations, and everything is managed on the servers. With decent UPSs they should be reliable enough to handle the clients' home directories. Plus it's a lot easier to back up a server than backing up a bunch of workstations.
    Last edited by SeijiSensei; August 11th, 2020 at 07:33 PM.
    If you ask for help, do not abandon your request. Please have the courtesy to check for responses and thank the people who helped you.

Blog · Linode System Administration Guides · Android Apps for Ubuntu Users

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12