Thread: Software and Updates stuck on refreshing cache

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Software and Updates stuck on refreshing cache

I was removing obsolete packages from Software and Updates, and on close I reloaded them and it is stuck at 100%. Anyone have the "basic" sources.list file for ubuntu 20.04? I tried creating one with the following:
    Code:
    deb http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ focal main restricted
    deb http://security.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ focal-security main restricted
    deb http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ focal-updates main restricted
    But the thing continues to be stuck on refresh. Future me will back up that file before modifying the packages

Linux is NOT Windows. Doesn't PRETEND to be, Doesn't WANT to be; Don't try to MAKE it be.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Re: Software and Updates stuck on refreshing cache

I rebooted and manually added my software sources in. Fixed.

Linux is NOT Windows. Doesn't PRETEND to be, Doesn't WANT to be; Don't try to MAKE it be.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Repositories aren't packages

In "Software and Updates" users manage repositories. In then first tab - Ubuntu Software - you can enable all but source. In the second tab you can enable the Partners repository and add/remove or disable third-party repositories (PPA) (PPAs added with 'add-apt-repository' or other commands also show up here).

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Thanks CelticWarrier. I think I've got some fallout here, the apt update is working now but in the software centre the installed applications is blank. Think it has to do with /etc/apt/sources.list.d but I am not sure. Does removing packages in Software & Updates also remove them from the .list.d folder too?

So to solve this, in this case I have replaced these 2 files from Timeshift, which was created last night, so technically I SHOULD be back where I started with the 2 correct files.
    Last edited by mickee384; August 8th, 2020 at 11:00 PM. Reason: changed wording

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

so i decided to restore the whole apt folder. All is working now.