Thread: Brand new laptop, external display not detected, need help please!

Beans

Brand new laptop, external display not detected, need help please!

New laptop

HP-ProBook-455-G7

AMD® Ryzen 7 4700u with radeon graphics × 8

HDMI external display works fine on Windows but does not detect on Ubuntu 18.04. Not detected on xrandr.

Can someone please offer assistance....

laptop.png

xrandr.png

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Re: Brand new laptop, external display not detected, need help please!

https://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pa...0u-linux&num=1
    Ubuntu 20.04 LTS is shipping with the Linux 5.4 kernel and Mesa 20.0, which that kernel is slightly too old for Renoir out-of-the-box.
    Getting a newer kernel might help. 5.6 or later. You've found the bleeding edge.

That's my best guess, but I know next to nothing about AMD laptop onboard GPUs.

Beans

@TheFu, thx, can you update to a 20.04 kernel but stay wiit 18.04 release? I upgraded to 20.04 but could not get a few web server issues resolved with specific PHP/mySQL versions so went back to 18.04 which I'd now rather stick with.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate 16.04 Xenial Xerus

I think the kernels are separate from the userspace programs. People grab the latest alpha kernels from kernel.org and run those on pretty much any Linux they want. I haven't needed to do that in decades, so I don't know the process under ubuntu, but I bet a websearch for "new kernel ubuntu" would find a guide from a reputable source to add a new kernel to your grub setup. Anything goes bad, just reboot and choose one of the older kernels.

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Kernel/MainlineBuilds seems like the good instructions. Don't know your level of expertise, so you'll have to decide whether that is something worthy of your time and skill level.

Beans

Thank You! Never messed with kernel level before but will give it a shot! Cheers

Beans

OK, just installed latest 20.04 and Kubuntu 18.04. Neither show any signs of detecting HDMI monitor.

As Windows detects it fine I'm assuming this is not an HDMI or hardware problem, or a BIOS issue.

Any hints on where to go next with this?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Post #2 has the answer.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

I too had problems with Ryzen and integrated graphics running 18.04. That install eventually got so bad it would no longer boot. You could try using Wayland instead of X.org, that seemed a little better in 18.04. The problems went away after installing 20.04. I think it wasn't just the newer kernel but also newer video components.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

Quote Originally Posted by muzzernz View Post
    OK, just installed latest 20.04 and Kubuntu 18.04. Neither show any signs of detecting HDMI monitor.

As Windows detects it fine I'm assuming this is not an HDMI or hardware problem, or a BIOS issue.

Any hints on where to go next with this?

you need newest kernel possible. drivers are in kernel. you have very new hardware, so you need latest driver.

optionally you can try patching it with latest drivers. however this could cause issues if you are using secure boot.

2 months ago i was chekcing out the Ryzen 5 version of this HP and people had issue even installing linux on it.
    Read the easy to understand, lots of pics Ubuntu manual.
    Do i need antivirus/firewall in linux?
    Full disk backup (newer kernel -> suitable for newer PC): Clonezilla
    User friendly full disk backup: Rescuezilla