Thread: Screen orientation flips upside down

Beans

Screen orientation flips upside down

What causes the screen on 18.04 to suddenly change orientation to upside down?
    This happens for no apparent reason. I notice it sometime when I start to move the mouse, other times when I happen to touch the keyboard.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Re: Screen orientation flips upside down

Please give us some info on your PC.

Beans

Sounds like an Australian PC (hahahaha)

Does the system have a make and model? Is it one of those hybrid tablet PC thingys?

Beans

I have just installed Ubuntu 20.04 LTS on a Lenovo Miix 300 tablet. The native mode of the tablet hardware is portrait, but Ubuntu seems to think the hardware natively is landscape. Consequently, unless the tablet is facing straight up (or down), the geo-sensor triggers the display to flip so the image is always on its side. That's fine if I'm lying down but not much use generally.

The tablet originally had Windows 10, which allowed the user to select the orientation AND lock it. As Microsoft's tablet offering is absolutely diabolical I decided to try Linux. I have been looking for a similar facility in Ubuntu but so far have not found one. If such a facility exists, then it should solve both your problem and mine.

Apart from this orientation issue, Ubuntu seems to work perfectly with my tablet, and eliminates all the nasty issues that Microsoft have introduced and failed to solve in Windows 10.