Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Grub2 Update Stops UEFI Dual Boot

Beans

Grub2 Update Stops UEFI Dual Boot

Two days ago, I did a system update from CLI on my ACER laptop running Kubuntu 18.04 x86-64 on an SSD. It dual boots with Windows 10 on a HD using UEFI boot. Upon rebooting the system, when I try to run Kubuntu, I get the following messages during boot:

error: /vmlinux-5.4.0-42-generic has invalid signature

error: you need to load the kernel first.
    Press any key to continue

It takes me back to the boot options menu. If I select the Advanced Options and pick a previously working kernel, I get the same messages only the kernel # matches the one I selected. So I can not boot into any kernel. Booting into linux fails under UEFI.

The computer will boot successfully into Windows 10.

I next attempt to correct the invalid signature error by booting from a USB thumbdrive with Kubuntu 18.04.4 and another thumbdrive with 18.04.3 so I can chroot into the SSD installation to correct the error. I can't boot with either thumbdrive. The boot fails with the following messages:

Failed to open \EFI\BOOT\mmx64.efi – Not Found.

Failed to load image \EFI\BOOT\mmx64.efi – Not Found
    Failed to start MokManager: Not Found

Something has gone seriously wrong: import_mok_state() failed: Not Found

Then the machine powers down.

I then attempt boots with: a Kubuntu 18.04.3 LiveDVD, a CentOS 7 install DVD and a Gparted 1.0.0.5 USB thumbdrive. All these have worked in the past. None of these will boot under UEFI. I get the same messages as with the Kubuntu 18.04 thumbdrives. I can not boot anything when UEFI boot is active.

I can switch to the Legacy boot and all is well with the LiveCDs and DVDs. When I try to boot Kubuntu from the SSD install using Legacy boot, there is no entry in GRUB2. So it still will not boot.

How do I fix the Kubuntu SSD install to work under UEFI boot (the invalid signature problem)? And how do you fix the problem where no LiveCDs and DVDs will not boot under UEFI?

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Re: Grub2 Update Stops UEFI Dual Boot

Your short-term fix is probably to turn off Secure Boot.

I couldn't say whether your inability to boot from your live images is because you've removed the Secure Boot keys yourself, they've got removed during a UEFI update, or if they've been invalidated as part of the BootHole mitigations.

Whatever the reason, turning off Secure Boot means that you won't attempt to use any keys. Then you can look into enrolling valid keys at some future point.

Beans

CatKiller, thanks for the reply.

I'm no expert on UEFI but I don't believe I did anything to 'remove' the Secure Boot keys. I've not yet attempted to validate the signature of the vmlinux kernel with my own signature.

I can't/haven't attempted to run the SSD Kubuntu install under the Legacy boot.

I did switch back to UEFI boot and set-up the boot option for Kubuntu and it will not boot.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

UEFI updates may reset UEFI to defaults. UEFI does remember some settings. Back with BIOS, all settings were reverted to defaults and you had to redo them.
    With my UEFI system I have 5 or 7 settings I change, some required & some optional and I review them after every UEFI update.
    UEFI boot install & repair info - Regularly Updated :
    https://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2147295
    Please use Thread Tools above first post to change to [Solved] when/if answered completely.

Beans

oldfred -

That is quite the post on UEFI! It will take some time to digest and find a solution to try. Thanks. I'll update this post when I've completed my work.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by mgrindle View Post
    Failed to open \EFI\BOOT\mmx64.efi – Not Found.

Failed to load image \EFI\BOOT\mmx64.efi – Not Found
    Failed to start MokManager: Not Found

Something has gone seriously wrong: import_mok_state() failed: Not Found
    This happens on my HP laptop (Insyde F.49 UEFI) if I run the installer with secure boot enabled and select install third party apps. Once it happens, there is no solution except to reflash the firmware. Not even turning off secure boot works. The bug has many forms, for example, and different solutions works for different users. See, e.g., askubuntu and STechnical.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

You only need mmx64.efi, to set your own key to install proprietary drivers when UEFI Secure Boot is on.
    Ubuntu cannot verify that a proprietary driver is certified, but a user can if he believes it is or developed it himself.

Many just copy shimx64.efi and rename it to mmx64.efi.
    After install, you will have a valid mmx64.efi in the install in the ESP system partition even with Secure Boot off.

I have Secure Boot off.

Code:
    fred@z97-focal-kubuntu:~$ ll /boot/efi/EFI/ubuntu
    total 4204
    drwxr-xr-x 2 root root    4096 Jun 21 16:22 ./
    drwxr-xr-x 6 root root    4096 Jun 18 09:25 ../
    -rwxr-xr-x 1 root root     108 Aug  1 08:14 BOOTX64.CSV*
    -rwxr-xr-x 1 root root     126 Aug  1 08:14 grub.cfg*
    -rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 1681280 Aug  1 08:14 grubx64.efi*
    -rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 1269496 Aug  1 08:14 mmx64.efi*
    -rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 1334816 Aug  1 08:14 shimx64.efi*
    Please use Thread Tools above first post to change to [Solved] when/if answered completely.

Beans

Still have not gotten my system fixed due to the system update that bricked my Kubuntu install on a dual boot Acer laptop. I've been down so many rabbit holes trying to solve this. Now I finally run across a link from Ubuntu on the botched attempt to fix the BootHole vulnerability and a proposed fix to the fix. Here is the link to that article: https://wiki.ubuntu.com/SecurityTeam...2SyJ9#Recovery .

I have not tried it yet. Basically you are rolling back the botched fix. Good luck. I'll report back when I've attempted this 'fix'.

Beans

Well, finally some success in resolving the muck-up in the fix of BootHole vulnerability I applied thru system update on Monday, August 3, 2020. As indicated in my post above, I found an Ubuntu Wiki article (last update 2020-08-05) where they admitted they messed up and how to reverse the damage but not fix the BootHole issue.

There is still a minor problem after completing this process but my system will now UEFI SecureBoot boot Kubuntu 18.04 installed on a SSD in a dual boot system, with Windows 10.

From the Wiki post, this is the process I followed to Fix the Botched GRUB2 BootHole Problem. NOTE: This only reverses the updates and removes the bad fix.

- First, you have to create a LiveCD USB of the latest Ubuntu/Kubuntu 20.04 distro. Older vresions of the OS or another OS do not boot for me. I had to use Kubuntu 20.04 to get around the ‘mmx65.efi missing error’ on older versions of the OS. You will need internet access later in this process!

- Boot computer with LiveCD USB.

- Open Terminal session

- Mount the root filesystem and components for your installed OS. You also need to mount specific directories for the chroot environment to be used later. My Kubuntu root is installed on a SSD, on the 3rd partition. You need to determine what is correct for the root partition on your installation.

Code:
       sudo mount /dev/nvme0n1p3 /mnt

for i in /sys /proc /run /dev /dev/pts ; do sudo mount --bind "$i" "/mnt$i"; done

sudo mv /mnt/etc/resolv.conf /mnt/etc/resolv.conf.bak

sudo cp -L /etc/resolv.conf /mnt/etc/
    - I have a separate partition for /boot so I need to mount it as well:

Code:
       sudo mount /dev/nvme0n1p1 /mnt/boot
    - Now CHROOT into the SSD filesystem:

Code:
       sudo chroot /mnt
    - Find installed kernels on SSD:

Code:
       dpkg -l | grep linux-image
    - You likely can skip this step. I messed up part of the kernel boot files during other attempts to fix this problem. If you do this step, BE SURE to determine the correct kernel version number/name. So I had to reinstall latest kernel ontothe SSD install:

Code:
        sudo apt-get install --reinstall linux-image-5.4.0-42-generic
    - Mount the /boot/efi directory

Code:
       mount /boot/efi
    - From the instructions on the Wiki page now, Download and Install a previous 'working' version of grub2/grub2-signed. It is imperative that you determine from the Wiki page the correct grub2 version to downgrade to for this process to work. You have to do this with .deb packages. This worked for me YMMV.

GRUB2_VERSION=2.02-2ubuntu8.15

GRUB2_LP_URL=https://launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source...8831561/+files

GRUB2_SIGNED_VERSION=1.93.16

GRUB2_SIGNED_LP_URL=https://launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source...8831639/+files

Code:
       cd /tmp

for i in grub-common grub-efi grub-efi-amd64 grub-efi-amd64-bin grub2-common ; do wget $GRUB2_LP_URL/${i}_${GRUB2_VERSION}_amd64.deb ; done

wget $GRUB2_SIGNED_LP_URL/grub-efi-amd64-signed_${GRUB2_SIGNED_VERSION}+${GRUB2_VERSION}_amd64.deb

dpkg -i ./grub*.deb

- Notice the output below shows an error when running the last command. I decide because it is a conflict in dependencies not to do anything about it now.

Code:
    root@kubuntu:/tmp# dpkg -i ./grub*.deb
    dpkg: warning: downgrading grub2-common from 2.02-2ubuntu8.17 to 2.02-2ubuntu8.15
    (Reading database ... 445158 files and directories currently installed.)
    Preparing to unpack .../grub2-common_2.02-2ubuntu8.15_amd64.deb ...
    Unpacking grub2-common (2.02-2ubuntu8.15) over (2.02-2ubuntu8.17) ...
    dpkg: warning: downgrading grub-common from 2.02-2ubuntu8.17 to 2.02-2ubuntu8.15
    Preparing to unpack .../grub-common_2.02-2ubuntu8.15_amd64.deb ...
    Running in chroot, ignoring request.
    Running in chroot, ignoring request: daemon-reload
    Running in chroot, ignoring request: is-active
    Running in chroot, ignoring request: stop
    Unpacking grub-common (2.02-2ubuntu8.15) over (2.02-2ubuntu8.17) ...
    Selecting previously unselected package grub-efi.
    Preparing to unpack .../grub-efi_2.02-2ubuntu8.15_amd64.deb ...
    Unpacking grub-efi (2.02-2ubuntu8.15) ...
    Selecting previously unselected package grub-efi-amd64.
    dpkg: considering removing grub-pc in favour of grub-efi-amd64 ...
    dpkg: no, cannot proceed with removal of grub-pc (--auto-deconfigure will help):
     grub-gfxpayload-lists depends on grub-pc (>= 1.99~20101210-1ubuntu2)
      grub-pc is to be removed.

dpkg: regarding .../grub-efi-amd64_2.02-2ubuntu8.15_amd64.deb containing grub-efi-amd64:
     grub-efi-amd64 conflicts with grub-pc
      grub-pc (version 2.02-2ubuntu8.17) is present and installed.

dpkg: error processing archive ./grub-efi-amd64_2.02-2ubuntu8.15_amd64.deb (--install):
     conflicting packages - not installing grub-efi-amd64
    dpkg: warning: downgrading grub-efi-amd64-bin from 2.02-2ubuntu8.17 to 2.02-2ubuntu8.15
    Preparing to unpack .../grub-efi-amd64-bin_2.02-2ubuntu8.15_amd64.deb ...
    Unpacking grub-efi-amd64-bin (2.02-2ubuntu8.15) over (2.02-2ubuntu8.17) ...
    dpkg: warning: downgrading grub-efi-amd64-signed from 1.93.19+2.02-2ubuntu8.17 to 1.93.16+2.02-2ubuntu8.15
    Preparing to unpack .../grub-efi-amd64-signed_1.93.16+2.02-2ubuntu8.15_amd64.deb ...
    Unpacking grub-efi-amd64-signed (1.93.16+2.02-2ubuntu8.15) over (1.93.19+2.02-2ubuntu8.17) ...
    Setting up grub-common (2.02-2ubuntu8.15) ...
    update-rc.d: warning: start and stop actions are no longer supported; falling back to defaults
    Running in chroot, ignoring request.
    Running in chroot, ignoring request: is-active
    Running in chroot, ignoring request: start
    dpkg: dependency problems prevent configuration of grub-efi:
     grub-efi depends on grub-efi-amd64 (= 2.02-2ubuntu8.15); however:
      Package grub-efi-amd64 is not installed.

dpkg: error processing package grub-efi (--install):
     dependency problems - leaving unconfigured
    Setting up grub-efi-amd64-bin (2.02-2ubuntu8.15) ...
    Setting up grub-efi-amd64-signed (1.93.16+2.02-2ubuntu8.15) ...
    Installing for x86_64-efi platform.
    Installation finished. No error reported.
    Setting up grub2-common (2.02-2ubuntu8.15) ...
    Processing triggers for install-info (6.5.0.dfsg.1-2) ...
    Processing triggers for man-db (2.8.3-2ubuntu0.1) ...
    Processing triggers for systemd (237-3ubuntu10.41) ...
    Processing triggers for ureadahead (0.100.0-21) ...
    Errors were encountered while processing:
     ./grub-efi-amd64_2.02-2ubuntu8.15_amd64.deb
     grub-efi
    root@kubuntu:/tmp#
    - Finishing steps of the Wiki process:
    Code:
       cp -df /etc/resolv.conf.bak /etc/resolv.conf
    - Unmount

Code:
       umount /boot/efi
    - Exit chroot environment

Code:
       exit
    - Unmount the SSD filesystem:

Code:
       sudo umount /mnt/boot    # Says: ‘Target is busy??’ I ignored this because it’s
                                        in the LiveCD environment.

sudo umount /mnt/sys
       sudo umount /mnt/run
       sudo umount /mnt/dev/pts
       sudo umount /mnt/dev
       sudo umount /mnt/proc

- Reboot like normal (with UEFI and SecureBoot) into the installed Kubuntu OS. IT WORKS!

****** After Successful UEFI Reboot into Kubuntu 18.04 on installed system SSD drive:

- To check on the package dependency problem, I run a system update:

$ sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get --with-new-pkgs upgrade
    [sudo] password for z973-admin: 
    Get:1 http://security.ubuntu.com/ubuntu bionic-security InRelease [88.7 kB]          
    Hit:2 http://us.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu bionic InRelease                                                      
    Hit:3 http://packages.microsoft.com/repos/vscode stable InRelease                                               
    Get:4 http://us.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu bionic-updates InRelease [88.7 kB]                              
    Get:5 http://us.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu bionic-backports InRelease [74.6 kB]                  
    Get:6 http://us.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu bionic-updates/main amd64 DEP-11 Metadata [294 kB]
    Get:7 http://security.ubuntu.com/ubuntu bionic-security/main amd64 DEP-11 Metadata [46.0 kB]
    Get:8 http://us.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu bionic-updates/universe amd64 DEP-11 Metadata [279 kB]
    Get:9 http://us.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu bionic-updates/multiverse amd64 DEP-11 Metadata [2,468 B]
    Get:10 http://security.ubuntu.com/ubuntu bionic-security/universe amd64 DEP-11 Metadata [49.2 kB]
    Get:11 http://security.ubuntu.com/ubuntu bionic-security/multiverse amd64 DEP-11 Metadata [2,464 B]
    Get:12 http://us.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu bionic-backports/universe amd64 DEP-11 Metadata [9,292 B]
    Fetched 935 kB in 2s (553 kB/s)                                             
    Reading package lists... Done
    Reading package lists... Done
    Building dependency tree       
    Reading state information... Done
    You might want to run 'apt --fix-broken install' to correct these.
    The following packages have unmet dependencies:
     grub-efi : Depends: grub-efi-amd64 (= 2.02-2ubuntu8.15)
     grub-pc : Depends: grub-common (= 2.02-2ubuntu8.17)
               Depends: grub2-common (= 2.02-2ubuntu8.17)
     grub-pc-bin : Depends: grub-common (= 2.02-2ubuntu8.17)
    E: Unmet dependencies. Try 'apt --fix-broken install' with no packages (or specify a solution).
    $
    At this point, I’m not sure what to do next. It appears there are two versions of pieces of the grub stuff. My question is: Do I even need to have grub-pc and grub-pc-bin installed? The system boots and operates corectly as far as I can tell.

Note: after this fix, you still can not boot any older LiveUSBs or DVD’s. The Boot choices menu (F12 on my system) does not even show a bootable device for the LiveUSB! I think that is the intended action but I’m not sure.
    Last edited by ajgreeny; August 11th, 2020 at 07:52 PM. Reason: Font normalised. Code tags added

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Most UEFI with Secure boot on do not allow USB boot. As that is then a security issue.
    Again if UEFI updated it reverts to defaults. So you probably have to go into UEFI and turn on full USB support or allow USB boot or similar setting.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast