Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: How does this happen?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Re: How does this happen?

Quote Originally Posted by sdsurfer View Post
    The point of my reply: I have always wanted to resurrect a couple old 32 bit machines just for this purpose. One of the things the eduke32 port does not do is support multiplayer Dukematch, in which you play either against each other or in co-op mode. We used to have so much fun with it. A couple old computers and network cards and you can run the native DN3D in multiplayer mode.
    32bit apps work on 64bit OS. they just need 32 bit libraries installed. i hope they at least keep the ability to add them. most older games and some new ones need them.
    Read the easy to understand, lots of pics Ubuntu manual.
    Do i need antivirus/firewall in linux?
    Full disk backup (newer kernel -> suitable for newer PC): Clonezilla
    User friendly full disk backup: Rescuezilla

Beans

Just run the older OS inside a virtual machine. No need for the old hardware anymore, not really. DOSBOX is pretty good too.
    I have experimented with VM's, DOSBOX, and Wine. The networking, which is the whole point of co-op/deathmatch, is a nightmare I never sorted out. Then there is the challenge of convincing someone who has access to Steam and all the uber cool FPS games out there to even play.

32bit apps work on 64bit OS. they just need 32 bit libraries installed. i hope they at least keep the ability to add them. most older games and some new ones need them.
    The goal in this theoretical situation was to go with native Windows. Probably never happen anyway, life has a way of prioritizing stuff.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

To run ZFS on my Pentium 4 backup server, I had to install 32-bits FreeBSD 12.1 and since 1 year it receives weekly my desktop backup on its 1.2 TB storage (2 x IDE; 3.5" and 2 x SATA-1; 2.5").
    So the magic is:
    Linux to BSD
    64-bits to 32-bits
    2019 AMD to 2003 Intel
    nvme to IDE
    The only two common elements are Ethernet and ZFS
    Last edited by lammert-nijhof; August 6th, 2020 at 05:09 AM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

yes, but the question was why would someone install it on a new machine. hmm...
    Read the easy to understand, lots of pics Ubuntu manual.
    Do i need antivirus/firewall in linux?
    Full disk backup (newer kernel -> suitable for newer PC): Clonezilla
    User friendly full disk backup: Rescuezilla

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

I don't do this personally, but could one possible reason be to utilize software for a particular task that was originally written as 32-bit, was never ported to 64-bit, and is not available as 64-bit? I believe I can can think of one example, the original Myst game for Windows 95. I'm pretty sure we could come up with some others, too. How about Word Perfect? I had some family genealogy text files written in Word Perfect that are as applicable today as when they were written. The translators for Word Perfect to Word or Libre Office are no longer available, I believe.
    Reminder: If you start a thread asking for help with a problem, please remember to use the Thread Tools to mark the issue as "SOLVED" once you have a solution. This will help other people with the same problem when they search for answers.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

i still have 32-bit OS on my 4 old ASUS netbooks. i don't use 'em anymore. but i wouldn't even try to put a 64-bit OS on one, at least not intentionally. i did once when i accidentally picked up the wrong memory stick.
    Mask wearer, Social distancer, System Administrator, Programmer, Linux advocate, Command Line user, Ham radio operator (KA9WGN/8, tech), Photographer (hobby), occasional tweetXer

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12