Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: How do I install the proprietary AMD video drivers in Ubuntu 20.04

Beans

Re: How do I install the proprietary AMD video drivers in Ubuntu 20.04

NVM, Duplicate post

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by codosaurus View Post
    It lists minimum GPU as Radeon HD 7000 series. The A10-5800K has an HD7660D.
    Read it again. That is for higher-powered discrete cards. It's suggesting Kaveri (A#-7000 series) for integrated graphics.
    GPU (Integrated): AMD Radeon R5 series (Kaveri line) with OpenGL 4.4

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...veri%22_(2014)

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

this is the actual GPu chip right?: AMD Radeon HD 7660D (800 MHz)

it's not some super GPu chip, but it should run minecraft

Quote Originally Posted by codosaurus View Post
    The frame rates I quoted actually come from the Phoronix test suite. The jerkiness we see in their test mirrors what we see in minecarft.
    So I guess I dont know which Java we are using. How do I find out? Why does it matter?
    Code:
    java -version
    it shouldn't matter but sometimes it does with minecraft.

It shows up correctly when I do: "sudo lshw -c video". Is that what you mean?
    It is not that the radeon drivers don't "work", it is that they appear to work poorly. 4 FPS.

I don't know. How do I check this?
    you can see what is working in your video card and what is not here: https://www.x.org/wiki/RadeonFeature/
    there are also some switches explained one can try. done features work well.

read here on how to test hardware acceleration (under Testing the driver): https://help.ubuntu.com/community/RadeonDriver

if needed you can add latest drivers using Oibaf PPA.

phoronix tests run as you set them and it depends what you are testing the chip is not something powerful to begin with so it depends what test you used and how it was tested. For example KDE will automatically turn off background acceleration when you run game or testing full screen. my tests are not impressive either. but the card can play older games reasonably well (GT 730). even Minecraft which mostly needs more CPU power than GPU to generate the area. and my CPU is 16 years old Athlon 64 single core.

it's been a while since i dealt with radeons. i had them and they all worked fine using opensource driver (i had ATI Rage, Radeon 9200, Radeon 3650 - well to be honest Rage had only partial 3D support). the one i still use is E-450 that has Radeon HD 6320 (uses 512MB of 2 GB ram). not something powerfull but it did run Left 4 Dead well and some other older games (or games based on older engines) on lower/medium settings (OpenMW, World of Padman,Quake2...). it would run even better, if i added more ram to it, but the Win7 Starter (dual boot) can't handle more ram and on rare occasion i still need access to windows PC.

One of my kids got himself a laptop (he might need one for school during these times) and he has Vega 8 that is using AMDGPU. runs really well and i am glad they opened the drivers up to this point.

---
    i would troubleshoot Minecraft like this.

1. check if hardware acceleration is working (Testing the driver mentioned above)

2. make sure you run the older xorg display server and not the new Wayland (i am not sure what Ubuntu defaults to but i know you can change this on login screen) - https://askubuntu.com/questions/9049...unning-wayland

3. check any setting that enables you to turn off GPU acceleration of windows drawing while game is running full screen. Ubuntu probably this option now as well

4. check minecraft settings - maybe you have high resolution set. set all on minimum/low then work up from there. see where the soft spot it. at least on super low the game should run if it has at least partial GPU acceleration.

5. make sure you don't assign too much ram to java for example launch it with:
    Code:
    java -Xms512M -Xmx1G -jar '/home/user/.minecraft/Launcher.jar'
    or
    Code:
    java -Xms1G -Xmx2G -jar '/home/user/.minecraft/Launcher.jar'
    6. try Oracle java - installing it was easy via PPA but Oracle made it more difficult now. still Linux uprising takes care of the install, you just manuly download the installation file from Oracle and put it to the /var/cache/java folder.: https://www.linuxuprising.com/2019/0...or-ubuntu.html

7. install latest drivers via Oibaf PPA, because this chip got opensource drivers quite recently, so newer might have more stuff fixed.

you could also add (try) Mate desktop or similar to reduce system resources used by the OS. other light options to try are XFCE (Xubuntu) and LXQT (Lubuntu). KDE is also not that bad if you disable "the bling" and effects.
    Read the easy to understand, lots of pics Ubuntu manual.
    Do i need antivirus/firewall in linux?
    Full disk backup (newer kernel -> suitable for newer PC): Clonezilla
    User friendly full disk backup: Rescuezilla

Beans

In addition to above suggestions, you may want to try enabling OpenGL 4.4 and see if that helps. For example:
    Code:
    MESA_GL_VERSION_OVERRIDE=4.4 MESA_GLSL_VERSION_OVERRIDE=440 java -Xms512M -Xmx1G -jar '/home/user/.minecraft/Launcher.jar'
    Background info: https://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pa...4-Unofficially
    soft fp64 has since been merged and optimized.

Remember the Radeon "r600" 3D driver doesn't officially claim OpenGL 4.x support and hasn't passed the tests for it, so don't be surprised if there are glitches (and don't file bugs). But you never know until you try..
    Last edited by Yellow Pasque; August 5th, 2020 at 08:10 PM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12