Thread: GIMP 2.10.18 rotates picture when saving on 20.04 ....

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

GIMP 2.10.18 rotates picture when saving on 20.04 ....

... and very annoying it it as one does not always realize it has happened and then to mail or and post and only find out later

Reading around on net people say NOT saving exif data rectifies that but found the exact opposite

Any of you seen this and know to remedy it so exif IS saved and picture is saved the right way round

Thanx
    Linux is Latin for off-the-beaten-track
    what I like MOST about our Ubuntu ... The Community ie 50 brains are better than one
    Playing with Slackware too now ...
    ShanArt

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Re: GIMP 2.10.18 rotates picture when saving on 20.04 ....

ok and then the penny drops

these are photos I took on my iPhone SE could be any mobile really and i took them with the mobile in a landscape position ... pictures i took portrait DO NOT DO THAT
    so altho when i open it in GIMP i turn it round WHEN IT SAVES it reads the exif and REESTABLISHES the rotation the exif carries; so NOT saving the exif will save what you had on the GIMP screen as is; saving the exif will go back to the way it is seen on the mobile screen QED

It never used to happen with earlier versions of Gimp so they probably did not read exif on saving but does now hence the "problem"

this was a no-problem problem almost but I leave here as others might also ponder likewise
    Last edited by shantiq; August 3rd, 2020 at 12:06 PM.
    Linux is Latin for off-the-beaten-track
    what I like MOST about our Ubuntu ... The Community ie 50 brains are better than one
    Playing with Slackware too now ...
    ShanArt

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Did you try to export the image to another format? Try to rotate the image you want in GIMP and export it to another format instead of saving it.
    corn ubuntuforums community.
    Open Source platform where the real world of human is here. Click here for Solve thread

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

The tagline for the Art & Designsub-forum reads:

Discuss various aspects of Ubuntu and Art here. Questions about using software for image editing should go in the Multimedia Software section.
    Thread moved to the Multimedia Software sub-forum.
    Ubuntu 20.04 Desktop Guide - Ubuntu 22.04 Desktop Guide - Forum Guide to BBCode - Using BBCode code tags

Member: Not Canonical Team

If you need help with your forum account, such as SSO login issues, username changes, etc, the correct place to contact an admin is here. Please do not PM me about these matters unless you have been asked to - unsolicited PMs concerning forum accounts will be ignored.