Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: new PC MSI x470 MB

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Re: new PC MSI x470 MB

Were it my computer, and if I hadn't stopped using Windows 15 years ago, I'd put both OSes on the SSD and use the HDD for data, like media files and regular backups. I understand that Windows 10 struggles to apply updates if it has less than 64 GB to play with, so I'd make its install partition at least that big.

Data that needed to be accessed from Windows I'd use a Windows-native filesystem for, since Windows is bad at accessing anything else but Linux can access them, but I wouldn't use that for anything I didn't have to since Windows-native filesystems are kinda crap and can only be prevented from eating themselves from within Windows.

YMMV.

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu

at least what im trying to build. is 64 bits., i didnt upgrade windows since XP. i couldnt, and didnt want to understand past XP.,... a different operating system, that ya pay for, that exploit's ya. well, everyone is entitled to there own views. if this dont belong here, please edit. i had intentions of making the windows 10 file, NTFS, or whatever it use's now. only because i need it to access some medical sites. other than that, i dont need Windows10 at all. nor care. maybe i can get by with internet explorer. it's weird too. ed
    the only bad question is one that is not asked.
    the good Lord give me Major Dyslexia so that i might learn. if you dont understand what i write sometimes, that makes two of us.. i confuse myself..

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu

administrators and moderators are welcome to correct me, anytime they want. i expect it. come to think of it., if someone, needs me to be correct, they are welcome as well. i can only be so correct., but, i will try my best. ed
    the good Lord give me Major Dyslexia so that i might learn. if you dont understand what i write sometimes, that makes two of us.. i confuse myself..

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by oneleded View Post
    only because i need it to access some medical sites. other than that, i dont need Windows10 at all. nor care.
    You might be able to just spoof the browser's user agent string so that it thinks you're on Windows. Otherwise, if it's just one or two applications that you'd use Windows for, using a Virtual Machine would probably be more manageable than having Windows installed directly.
    None but ourselves can free our minds

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu

i've been thinking about that since it was first mentioned to me. 2016, or 2017. cant remember who said it. i did look up hard drives, an tried to find quite ones. i cant believe how inexpensive they are. [old horse]. most the junk i got is pretty obsolete. tis a wonder it lasted this long. i'll look up my old threads. it was a while back, but i remember it. anyway the loudest thing i got on the old Dell[2002], is the fan in the power supply. the other one is super slow. a drop of turbine oil, might get it going again. still runs cold. ZOOM SPOUT. I think its about $5 dollars U.S. with shipping, an comes in 4 oz. saved many a power supply fan. even the one's from radio shack. i still got 3.98 OZs left. stuff last.
    Didn't mean to ramble on so., i can get HDD for under $50.oo, in the terabytes. 5-16TB or higher. an i dont have that much stuff, i want to remember. ;~}

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu

it took a bit, Cmcanuity, was the 1st. i believe to tell me about vertial box. Nov/03/2018. ;~}
    Last edited by oneleded; August 9th, 2020 at 04:12 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu

it's taken a while to get me this far. if not for this forum, i would have never got here. , i dont want to state the obvious, but it is so. i still have questions,
    hope i always do. anyway, just ta show you some picts. been a while since i posted pictures. i might still have it. ;~}
    should run cool, 4 fans. an its in the basement, sometimes it gets below 58F, in the winter. i leave windows open in the summer. if i didn't, it wouldnt get above 64F.
    cold for me. just a thing.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by oneleded; August 11th, 2020 at 08:32 AM. Reason: just got too

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by CatKiller View Post
    You might be able to just spoof the browser's user agent string so that it thinks you're on Windows. Otherwise, if it's just one or two applications that you'd use Windows for, using a Virtual Machine would probably be more manageable than having Windows installed directly.
    i think i like this.
    the more i learn about modern HDD's, the less i know. right now, i'd say, the loudest noise i got, is the power supply, in a 2002 Dell. at least thats the sound i think i hear. surely it cant be the drive, can it? like the DVD or the RW drive? right now, the 2002 Dell is making noise, the fan in the power supply is not running like it should, nor the fan, that draws heat off the MB. only the processor fan.

Beans
    Distro

anyway, just ta show you some picts.
    Looking good!

right now, i'd say, the loudest noise i got, is the power supply, in a 2002 Dell. at least thats the sound i think i hear. surely it cant be the drive, can it? like the DVD or the RW drive?
    Optical drives are really noisy.

If you've got a noise that you can't locate the source of, the quick-and-easy method is to stick a bendy straw in your ear. Not all the way, obviously. That makes your hearing much more directional, and then you wave the other end near the likely sources to see which is loudest.

right now, the 2002 Dell is making noise, the fan in the power supply is not running like it should, nor the fan, that draws heat off the MB. only the processor fan.
    You'll probably (different motherboards expose different settings) have settings in the UEFI to control the fan curve profile: how fast each fan should be going for a given temperature. The Wraith cooler in my other half's computer was fairly loud by default.

Also, if that machine's been running since 2002, some squirts of compressed air to get the dust out is overdue.
    None but ourselves can free our minds

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu

sometimes the stuff you guys teach me sinks in. it might take me a while, but it does. i appreciate the effort. ;~}

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast