Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: new PC MSI x470 MB

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu

new PC MSI x470 MB

i have to put an OS in, an i'm gonna stick with lubuntu. plus i have to put in the drivers. i cant seem to log onto the MSI site, of forum, which would be nice. first;
    a list of what i got;
    MSI x470 Gaming Plus Max
    Be Quite mid-tower ATX case 600
    Sabrent Rocket Q 1TB NVMe PCIe M.2 2880 SSD
    AMD Ryzen 5 1600af
    EVGA GeForce GT 1030 @GB Low Profile Video Card Gddr5
    Crucial Ballistic 3200 MHz DDR4 DRAM 16GB(8GBx2)
    EVGA supernova 650G3 gold power supply
    250 HDD barracuda from before. i plan on using XFS file system, and having mutable drives, but not near as many as this could hold.
    i might put in Windows 10, because some sites call for it. they cant handle Linux
    Thats where i'm at now, formatting SSD, adding lubuntu, and drivers.
    Last edited by oneleded; August 2nd, 2020 at 08:52 AM. Reason: add words
    the only bad question is one that is not asked.
    the good Lord give me Major Dyslexia so that i might learn. if you dont understand what i write sometimes, that makes two of us.. i confuse myself..

Beans

Re: new PC MSI x470 MB

What messages do you see when you try to log into the forum? What browser(s) have you tried?

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu

i haven't loaded the SSD drive yet fist time i did OS from scratch.
    i'm not sure if i want my HDD 1st, it has Lubuntu, and Puppy already on it.
    Last edited by oneleded; August 2nd, 2020 at 08:57 AM.
    the good Lord give me Major Dyslexia so that i might learn. if you dont understand what i write sometimes, that makes two of us.. i confuse myself..

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu

^bump^

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu

I read this [Installing and booting Windows 10 from a solid state drive], and it is related to my problem. installing Windows10. my 1st.drive is SSD. i read it doesnt like temp. files, so i gonna install a 2nd. drive HDD for temp, files. i think i now would be better off, installing my ubuntu/linux dristo's on the 1st. drive SSD, Windows 10, on the 2nd. drive HDD, and making space for temp. files there also.
    Windows 10 responds to grub 2 win.. sooo, i should be able to do the same king of setup i got now. ubuntu and linux on the 1st. drive, windows XP on the 2nd. drive..

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Any current solid state drive will last as much as if not more than traditional mechanical HDDs. The temporary files issue is a non-issue. The SSD will very likely outlive the computer itself.

And any OS installed in a HDD, regardless of how powerful the rest of the machine is, will suffer from a tremendous bottleneck effect, i.e., it'll be noticeably slow and very much so.

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by CelticWarrior View Post
    Any current solid state drive will last as much as if not more than traditional mechanical HDDs. The temporary files issue is a non-issue. The SSD will very likely outlive the computer itself.

And any OS installed in a HDD, regardless of how powerful the rest of the machine is, will suffer from a tremendous bottleneck effect, i.e., it'll be noticeably slow and very much so.
    i hate to here that. should i go ahead and in stall windows 10 on the ssd drive?, or since i will only use windows 10 on occasion, install it on the HDD drive?

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

CelticWarrior has correctly said that it's not something to worry about any more, but I'll also explain what the issue was.

It's not that any drive "doesn't like temp files," it's that drives have a finite lifetime.

Hard drives have mechanical parts, and all mechanical parts wear out eventually. Since people have been making hard drives for a very long time, hard drives now are able to have a long life before they eventually fail. Using them more heavily means that they'll wear out more quickly.

SSDs don't have any mechanical parts, so they don't wear out. However, the underlying technology - cells of flash memory - can only be written to a fixed number of times before it can't be written to any more. When SSDs were first introduced, this number was quite small, and, since they were expensive to make, putting more cells on would have made them unaffordable. Hence all the advice about avoiding putting temporary files on SSDs, to reduce the number of writes and extend the lifetime.

Now, though, flash cells last a lot longer and are much cheaper to make. Drives now have spare cells (called overprovisioning) so that if some cells can no longer be written to those cells can be mapped to the spare ones and the drive will just keep working.

We passed the point where the expected lifetime of an SSD is as long as the expected lifetime of a hard drive a couple of years ago.

You still might want to avoid unnecessary writes - not saving the last time a file was accessed (noatime) is still useful, for example - but drive lifetime isn't the overriding concern that it used to be.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

Quote Originally Posted by oneleded View Post
    i hate to here that. should i go ahead and in stall windows 10 on the ssd drive?, or since i will only use windows 10 on occasion, install it on the HDD drive?
    We can't tell you what you should do. If you install Windows 10 on a hard drive it will be a lot slower than if it was installed on an SSD. How much that will bother you is something that only you can decide. Similarly, how separate you want your OSes to be, and how much you want to play with partitioning, is entirely up to you.

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu

i dont expect ya to tell me what to do. is there any advantage, to keeping a (Windows 10) in this case, or a temp file system, on a separate drive. 1 TB SSD should outlast me. [i got gray/bald in my old age. still got some hair left on the sides/;~}] other than that, i might need ta know how big ta format the partition on some occasions i need a windows OS. as long as it doesnt bottleneck the SSD, i have no problem. putting it on another drive. for that matter, i also dont have a problem putting it on the SSD drive. I should have a lot of extra space on the SSD to spare, even at 1TB. IDK
    Last edited by oneleded; August 7th, 2020 at 04:44 AM.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast