Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: new PC MSI x470 MB

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu

Re: new PC MSI x470 MB

on the boot, how big should i make the partition? it seems to double every so often.. some sites recommend, 100-200 Mib, others more. it wont be too long it's gonna get bigger. i was thinking 1 or 2 GB should last a while. on the ssd drive. Got 1TB, on the ssd drive.
    just a funny' i didn't know that 5.25 drives, arent made anymore, til the other day.
    the PC see's both the SSD, and sda/HDD.
    /dev/nvme0n1 for the SSD
    /dev/sda for the HDD
    not much advice out there, course, i dont ask the right questions.
    ubuntu / linux, should be just fine, on the SSD. i may have to get 2 more memory cards, to match the ones i got, while they still make them.
    the only bad question is one that is not asked.
    the good Lord give me Major Dyslexia so that i might learn. if you dont understand what i write sometimes, that makes two of us.. i confuse myself..

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

I think I went for 500 MB for the EFI System Partition on my last install, on the grounds that I didn't want it to be too small (one of the Ubuntu releases, maybe 14.04, had quite a small ESP but also didn't autoremove old kernels, so everyone ran out of space) and, like you, I have plenty of space to spare. I think each kernel only needs tens of MB in the ESP.

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu

2x500 MB =1GB least i understand, it dont hurt to plan ahead. i just wonder if's its enough. course, i started with a small 1TB SSD drive.
    after the KY Derby, i'l work on it, [dont want to have the system down]. information is growing so fast. its hard to keep up. always has been. i dont know if exponential covers it.
    the good Lord give me Major Dyslexia so that i might learn. if you dont understand what i write sometimes, that makes two of us.. i confuse myself..

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu

Well; the Derby is over. i lost the $6.oo i bet on the trifecta. now to business. the Sabrent Q i bought dont support linux, or ubuntu. so i contacted the company, got a response the next day., using just email. i was told as long as linux works, it should be OK to use XFS.
    [i left out the part where ext4 is supported, an some earlier versions, ext2].
    mostly Sabrent is Windows10, 64 based. they will have to get used to that, [gotta start somewhere], but, i think they will come around., at least they list what you will need, in my case, xsfprogs, xsfdump.. then the other file systems, that are listed also. i found that out by using GParted/ view/ file system report. there is much to learn. also
    i did learn my HDD, drive with 32 bit XP, will no longer work, on 64 bits, plus, its gotta lot of heat, to throw out in that 5.25 hdd drive.
    Last edited by oneleded; September 10th, 2020 at 04:10 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu

i got the lubuntu 20.04 amd64.iso some time ago and put it on disk. now i'm trying to use the checksum, and i have some problems. the iso, is on the desktop, but its a zip file. i un-zipped to the desktop, so i might be able to write a path for this, md5sum.txt.
    the other, SHA256sums, i can find it online, i just cant copy and paste. somehow, i dont have permission, to create a folder anymore.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Quote Originally Posted by oneleded View Post
    the iso, is on the desktop, but its a zip file.
    Are you sure, or is it that the program that can open zip files can also open iso files?

somehow, i dont have permission, to create a folder anymore.
    Iso files, being an image of a read-only filesystem, are read-only. That also translates to iso images burned onto a thumb drive, although some burning programs will choose to ignore that and still allow the resulting filesystem to be writable.
    None but ourselves can free our minds

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu

hey; when you right click, a page shows the .iso files, an you have to option to extract them.
    when i right click, on the desk top to make a new folder, i dont have permission. i was trying to copy and paste SHA256sums to a new folder, which i cant create any more.
    i'll look online and in this forum to see if i can find something.
    i should ask ''How to make a new folder on the desk top, when i dont have permission too'', that is where it belongs. or ''why dont i have permission to create a new folder on the desk top?'', give me a couple of days or so, on this one.

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu

i got the "lubuntu 20.04 amd64.iso" some time ago. i installed it on the SSD.
    before this, i was using lubuntu 18.04 32 bit, on HDD drive.
    here's my problem, i cant access the HDD drive. i need a module. 20.04 says so, i dont know what i need, per say. i'd still like access to the HDD.
    anyway, 20.04 is working well so far. i wish i had installed it months ago.
    i ran into verification problem's as far as the iso. finally figured it out, to my satisfaction.

i want to put fassapup on one of the partitions, a frugal install, but i havn't figured out how yet. it sorta was easier to verify the iso. the install is complicated to me. puppy
    grew up.
    supposedly, it runs 10 time faster with a frugal install. who am i to doubt this.

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu

i have lubuntu 20.04 on the SSD drive at last. grub wont let me access my HDD drive.
    Grub 2.04 says i have to; load kernel first. it says more than that, but i didnt write it down. not enough time. i didnt have my camera ready.
    next time i boot i'll be ready. lubuntu 20.04 is on /dev/nvme0n1p4
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by oneleded; October 31st, 2020 at 08:04 AM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Looks like you have mixed the now 40 year old BIOS/MBR configuration with the now 8 year old UEFI/gpt configuration.
    Windows has required vendors to install in UEFI boot mode to gpt partitioned drives since Windows 8 released in 2012. So all new hardware is UEFI.
    Some early UEFI had issues, most are resolved.

Even if new system, have you updated UEFI and updated SSD firmware?

But your SSD is UEFI and does not show an extended partition so gpt.
    But your HDD shows an extended partition and not ESP - efi system partition so BIOS/MBR. Or maybe UEFI boot thru gpt drive and only BIOS on HDD?
    Best with new systems to only use gpt.

I started converting drives to gpt in 2010.
    GPT Advantages (older 2010 but still valid) see post#2 by srs5694:
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1457901 &
    https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php...antages_of_GPT
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unified...ware_Interface

You should always be booting in UEFI boot mode. The setting on booting in UEFI/BIOS is only for installed systems.
    You have to select UEFI or BIOS each time you boot USB flash drive installer. And some tools that create installer make it only UEFI or only BIOS.
    My system shows UEFI: PMAP or PMAP where PMAP is name/label of flash drive and one that is just PMAP is BIOS boot.

More info on UEFI in link below.
    UEFI boot install & repair info - Regularly Updated :
    https://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2147295
    Please use Thread Tools above first post to change to [Solved] when/if answered completely.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast