Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Trouble Booting USB with Full Install

Beans

Re: Trouble Booting USB with Full Install

Yes. Your BIOS screens look A LOT like mine... and yes, I was wrong, after looking at your screens, there is an option for UEFI only. I had not seen it before. I must be blind (actually I do have very poor eyesight). Anyhow, strange thing... when I enabled UEFI only... my Windows wouldn't boot!!! I had to go back to UEFI and Legacy Mode to get Windows rebooted. Had me panicked for a bit there. After finally getting my Windows back, the stupid mouse wouldn't work... I had to cold boot the system to get the darn mouse working again. WOW!!

I am driving my tech support guy (my son) crazy <grin> Maybe he will finally get a job and leave home... hehehe.

Beans

Cool Re: Trouble Booting USB with Full Install

Quote Originally Posted by sudodus View Post
    With the method that I suggest in post #2 you need not unplug the internal drive, and you need not use the Dells. I think it will work.

If it does not work, I can suggest other methods that should also work without touching the internal (nvme) drive.
    Okay, this worked!! I downloaded the compressed image of 20.04 and ran it thru 7zip, then burned it to my USB with Rufus... bingo! It booted up like a champ.

Thanks for the idea. Now I wonder how I can do this with other Ubuntu flavors, such as Mint. I'd like to experiment with other distros too. I am really going to drive my son nuts! He is my tech support and a Windows fanboy.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by pbear42 View Post
    When I read the OP, where you referred to having tried to install in VBox, I had a feeling this was the problem. Right, by default, VBox boots in BIOS mode. But, yes, you can boot in EFI mode. It's an option in Settings, System > Motherboard.

So, boot the ISO same as before, then confirm boot mode, just to be sure for your own peace of mind. Run ls /sys/firmware; if efi is listed, you're booted in EFI mode. Now the world's your oyster. You can use simple erase-and-reinstall or as complex a partitioning scheme as you want. You even can do encryption, if you like. I've done EFI installs to USB drive many times with VBox. No question, it works. Not my favorite method for installing to USB drive, but has advantages (in particular, it's safest)

By the way, one little tip. Don't bother with a virtual hard drive. This way, the USB drive becomes sda when claimed from Devices. Easy peasy, as you say.
    YES! This fixed it!! It was on the Motherboard tab though... not the Processor tab. No problem... I found it pretty quick.

Thank you.

Now how do I mark this thread [SOLVED]?

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by pawnslinger View Post
    Now I wonder how I can do this with other Ubuntu flavors, such as Mint.
    AFAIK, no one but sudodus prepares compressed images of already-install systems. OTOH, as I said, it's easy enough to install to USB drive in VBox. Set the motherboard to EFI mode. Boot a live ISO. Attach a USB drive. Install same as usual. Only thing you don't have in this environment is access to the internal drive (you can't install guest additions to a live session). You do have access to the internet. There are other methods, but they require you to work around the installer bug oldfred mentioned.

Beans
    Hidden!

Okay, this worked!! I downloaded the compressed image of 20.04 and ran it thru 7zip, then burned it to my USB with Rufus... bingo! It booted up like a champ.

Thanks for the idea. Now I wonder how I can do this with other Ubuntu flavors, such as Mint. I'd like to experiment with other distros too. I am really going to drive my son nuts! He is my tech support and a Windows fanboy.
    There are several methods, some of them described by pbear42, some other methods described at the following links.

Do you intend to use it in several computers or in only one computer?

- If in only one computer, you can try according to this link with a detailed description. (If you want encryption, please modify to activate LVM with LUKS encryption in the partitioning window.)

- If you want to use it in several computers, it should boot both in UEFI and BIOS mode, so try according to
    . How to Create a Full Install of Ubuntu 20.04 to USB Device Step by Step or
    . This link to a similar method.

These links show different aspects of what is needed, and I think you will be able to 'do it yourself' and get the systems you want (also different linux distros, at least when they do not differ too much from Ubuntu, e.g. Mint and Debian).

Another easy alternative for extensive testing is to create persistent live drives from iso files of linux distros, that do not differ too much from Ubuntu (e.g. Mint and Debian) with mkusb. See this list of tested linux distros.
    Last edited by sudodus; 2 Days Ago at 10:43 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

Now I wonder how I can do this with other Ubuntu flavors, such as Mint. I'd like to experiment with other distros too.
    If you just want to play around with other flavors, you can boot Linux ISO files stored on your HDD using GRUB from your new install:
    https://askubuntu.com/questions/1251...251782#1251782

There are some more menuentry examples here:
    https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Gr...OBoot/Examples

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12