Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Live USB Ubuntu 20.04

Beans

Question Live USB Ubuntu 20.04

Hi world,

I have some troubles making a working live USB with Ubuntu.
    My question is: If the live USB is done and i want to run that USB with Ubuntu on a Windows laptop/desktop, Does it have to be in Legacy mode to boot ?

I have been trying to figure this out for a couple of weeks now, as you can tell by the name i'm new in the world of Linux.
    I have tried a method with Rufus before but this time i followed a video from a youtube channel: Gary explains.
    I installed virtualbox on my desktop and installed Ubuntu on my USB using the virtualbox. After that i tried to run it on my laptop wich brings me to: Grub. (to be honest, not sure how that works or what is really is)
    I've read online somewhere that i have to change my settings in the BIOS to legacy mode. So i've tried it and that works. But i don't want to switch my BIOS settings everytime i want to boot to Linux or when i want Windows.
    Also i can't even find an option to boot in Legacy mode on my desktop. And i want a portable Live USB so i can use it with 3 different computers that i have.

Hopefully anyone has some ideas how to fix this.

Regards,
    Linuxnewby3

Beans
    Hidden!

Re: Live USB Ubuntu 20.04

A USB drive with Ubuntu is a 'live drive', and if you installed it with Rufus in Windows, or cloned it with 'any cloning tool' in Linux, for example the Ubuntu Startup Disk Creator, it will be bootable bith in UEFI mode and BIOS mode (alias CSM alias legacy mode).

It is a good idea to 'try' Ubuntu this way - boot from a USB drive and get a feeling of how it works.If you like it, the next step might be to install Ubuntu into the internal drive. You can do this alongside Windows, and, at boot time, decide which operationg system to boot, Ubuntu or Windows.

This is different from running Ubuntu in a virtual machine (via VirtualBox) because it runs the computer directly instead of via Windows and a program, that emulates a computer.

The following links may help you get started,

help.ubuntu.com/community/Installation/FromUSBStick

Try Ubuntu (Kubuntu, Lubuntu, Xubuntu, ...) before installing it

help.ubuntu.com/community/Installation/iso2usb

Beans

Hi sudodus,

I have tried it, and i think it's very usefull to run it from my USB.
    At the moment i'm not really looking to convert 1 of my computers to a dedicated Linux based system.
    So that's why i'm trying to figure out how to install Ubuntu to a USB-stick with the option to ad programs and save files. (it has 128gb, that will be enough for my use)
    And the problem is that in the way i've tried i can only run Ubuntu when my system is in Legacy mode. and how to make the USB so any pc can read it.

If you can help me, i would really appreciated.

regards,
    linuxnewby3

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Making a bootable USB-stick seems to carry a lot of issues. Never tried is myself, so I'm not certain where the problem is.
    If your laptop has a DVD drive, the surefire way of doing a Ubuntu live boot is simply burning the .iso image to a DVD and booting from that. I've never had an issue there. It's slower, but at least you'll get a feeling for what you can do with a live boot.

The only thing you have to be sure of is that your DVD/CD drive (or your USB drive) is set as "first" in the boot sequence of your BIOS.

PS: I've been irritated for some time over why users new to (x)ubuntu have problems with USB-sticks. I'll try it myself tonight.
    Last edited by ml9104; July 18th, 2020 at 08:37 PM.

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by linuxnewby3 View Post
    So that's why i'm trying to figure out how to install Ubuntu to a USB-stick with the option to ad programs and save files. (it has 128gb, that will be enough for my use)
    It might be a good alternative for you to use two USB drives, the stick with 128 GB, and another one, that could be 'anything', even a small 4 GB stick.

- Clone from the Ubuntu iso file to the small (4GB?) stick (a live drive).

- [Extract and] clone from a compressed image file to an installed Ubuntu 20.04 LTS system into the 128 GB stick.

- Boot into the small (4GB?) drive, start gparted and grow (expand) the main partition so that it will use the whole 128 GB stick.

- Now you should have an installed system in your 128 GB stick. It is portable between PC computers with 64-bit processors and it can boot both in UEFI and BIOS mode.

See this link and links from it.
    Last edited by sudodus; July 18th, 2020 at 09:29 PM.

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by ml9104 View Post
    Making a bootable USB-stick seems to carry a lot of issues. Never tried is myself, so I'm not certain where the problem is.
    If your laptop has a DVD drive, the surefire way of doing a Ubuntu live boot is simply burning the .iso image to a DVD and booting from that. I've never had an issue there. It's slower, but at least you'll get a feeling for what you can do with a live boot.

The only thing you have to be sure of is that your DVD/CD drive (or your USB drive) is set as "first" in the boot sequence of your BIOS.
    This is a crucial point, because many (most?) new computers lack an optical drive.
    PS: I've been irritated for some time over why users new to (x)ubuntu have problems with USB-sticks. I'll try it myself tonight.
    - Pete Batard has spent a lot of time and effort to create Rufus that works in Windows, and

- I have spent a lot of time and effort to create mkusb that works in Ubuntu, debian and some other linux distros (also ToriOS).

in order to make it easier (and less risky to destroy valuable data) for people who want to try and install Ubuntu and other linux distros.

Edit: But in order to create a live USB drive with Xubuntu (and the other Ubuntu family flavours), you can also use the built-in tool of the Ubuntu family, the Ubuntu Startup Disk Creator. It is simple to use and quite reliable.
    Last edited by sudodus; July 18th, 2020 at 09:25 PM.

Beans
    Distro

OK, just tried it myself.
    I already have a working Lubuntu installation and have never had problems. It's installed using a DVD with a normal burned .iso image.

I just made a USB-stick with a Lubuntu .iso image using Rufus on a Win10 PC.

It makes a basic boot, I can select language and keyboard using F2/F3, but after selecting "Start Lubuntu" nothing more happens.
    Rerunning Rufus and choosing NTFS (FAT32 is default) as file system for the stick, I get some errors during basic boot, but still arrive at the same menu. Pressing "Start Lubuntu": same thing, the install hangs.

Don't ask, yes I changed the boot sequence in the BIOS (otherwise it wouldn't even get to the first screen).

I can understand the major frustration of new users here, it's not acceptable.

My personal recommendation at this point: forget Rufus and USB-sticks, install from an old-fashioned DVD instead. If you don't have one, borrow an external DVD drive somewhere.

This was really sobering.
    Last edited by ml9104; July 18th, 2020 at 10:01 PM.

Beans
    Hidden!

@ml9104,

Which version of Lubuntu did you try (20.04 LTS)?

- Try Rufus in 'dd-mode', which means that is uses the reliable cloning method.

- You can also try the Startup Disk Creator in Lubuntu (since 16.04 LTS it is using the reliable cloning method).

I would expect that you succeed with the cloning method unless you have some special hardware, for example graphics chip, that needs a proprietary hardware driver.

Edit: Just to be sure: Did you check with md5sum that the download of the iso file was successful?
    Last edited by sudodus; July 18th, 2020 at 10:02 PM.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by sudodus View Post
    @ml9104,

Which version of Lubuntu did you try (20.04 LTS)?

- Try Rufus in 'dd-mode', which means that is uses the reliable cloning method.

- You can also try the Startup Disk Creator in Lubuntu (since 16.04 LTS it is using the reliable cloning method).

I would expect that you succeed with the cloning method unless you have some special hardware, for example graphics chip, that needs a proprietary hardware driver.

Edit: Just to be sure: Did you check with md5sum that the download of the iso file was successful?
    As per my signature: Lubuntu 20.04LTS

Just to be clear: I'm not the one having problems, I'm just testing this. And it seems that live boot from USB-stick has a significant problem.

I just tried something else: I took the exact same .iso file that I used for the USB-stick and burned it onto a DVD.
    Boot to the DOS-like "Start Lubuntu" menu, select same.

Behaviour as expected: half a minute pause, then dark screen, half a minute later Lubuntu logo with the five walking dots, 4 minutes later Lubuntu live desktop.
    It's always worked like that by me when using a DVD. Painless.

I've no need to use Startup Disk Creator, my PC works perfectly and live boots from DVD any time it's needed.

But I feel sorry for the newcomers who are left with a super-frustrating experience after trying to install (x)ubuntu.
    Last edited by ml9104; July 18th, 2020 at 10:28 PM.

Beans
    Hidden!

@ml9104,

I don't think we will agree about booting live systems, and that is OK. There are many ways to install and use Linux, and let us be happy with our different ways - and let the original poster, linuxnewby3 find their own way

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast