Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Ubuntu server 20.04.1 parition errors

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Re: Ubuntu server 20.04.1 parition errors

Quote Originally Posted by darkod View Post
    That is the thing bugging me. But since I still haven't done a new clean install of 20.04 my first assumption was that the installer "helps" you by not using the whole VG for only one LV right from the start.

I have used plenty thin disks in VMware and that shouldn't have created this situation because from VM and OS side, the disk is seen as whole 100GB size. The only difference is on VMware side where thick disk would grab the whole 100GB right away, while a thin disk would only use amount of space in the datastore related to how full the disk is in the OS. And with the usage in the OS growing, the VHDD file in the datastore grows too up to 100GB.

But anyway going into too much VMware details can also add to confusion here.
    I've done an LVM install of 20.04 into a VM. It still takes the entire partition. Guess we have 2 possible answer for what happened to the OP's VM. Can't wait to learn what the truth is.

Beans

Hello @Darkod and @TheFu, sorry I was asleep when you both were discussing. I have created a new VM and the same problem persists. Following are the details:

I am using ESXi 7.0b Dell customised image with updated custom network drivers (Intel l219.) Base (host) system hardware has 2 disks - 1 HDD and 1 SSD.

ESXi storage configuration:

1. I updated the installer during installation. (I am using 20.04 ISO from Ubuntu.com which I have verified using file hash.)

I selected entire disk during installation:

3. Following screen shows / partition as being 49 GB as opposed to 100 GB.

4. Following are the changes I made and the final settings that i used.

I hope this helps.

I am using UFI with secureboot during VM creation, just in case that matters.

Last edited by Parth_Maniar; August 6th, 2020 at 07:12 AM. Reason: Added system information

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

Well, it does look to me like the new installer is trying to leave you some free space in the VG so it creates the root LV only to take 50%. Like I said, this is not an issue. On the contrary, it is good.

About sdb you are still making the same mistake TheFu mentioned. And the installer is warning you about it too. You are selecting the disk to be mounted at /mnt/ssd. You should first create partition on it (which will be /dev/sdb1) and then use that to mount at /mnt/ssd.

But the secondary disk you can ignore during installation. It would be much easier to do that later once you have the VM running. Assuming you know at least the basics about disk management and mounting in ubuntu.
    Darko.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------
    Ubuntu 18.04 LTS 64bit

Beans

Well, it does look to me like the new installer is trying to leave you some free space in the VG so it creates the root LV only to take 50%. Like I said, this is not an issue. On the contrary, it is good.

About sdb you are still making the same mistake TheFu mentioned. And the installer is warning you about it too. You are selecting the disk to be mounted at /mnt/ssd. You should first create partition on it (which will be /dev/sdb1) and then use that to mount at /mnt/ssd.

But the secondary disk you can ignore during installation. It would be much easier to do that later once you have the VM running. Assuming you know at least the basics about disk management and mounting in ubuntu.
    Hi, I am aware of basic formatting & mounting of the disk. Would you recommend rebuilding the VM, as in can the current configuration cause problems later on?

Thank you for your guidance.

PS: I did not create a new VM but just took printscreens to see what happens.

Beans
    Distro

Actually right now I don't see big problems here, to need rebuild.

However, I would like to see how the PV is right now after you tried to shrink it with pvresize. I like the older type commands even though TheFu doesn't like them
    Code:
    sudo pvdisplay
    sudo vgdisplay
    sudo lvdisplay
    That will give you good info about all three components of LVM. I want to see if the PV now is 75GB or 100GB. And subsequently how is the VG.

And for sdb if you still don't have any data on it, I would unmount it, create new msdos or gpt table on it (that will destroy the current ext4 formatting on sdb), then create one new partition sdb1 and then format that partition as ext4. After that you mount and use that partition. If you need help with commands about this part, let us know.
    Darko.
    Ubuntu 18.04 LTS 64bit

Beans

Actually right now I don't see big problems here, to need rebuild.

However, I would like to see how the PV is right now after you tried to shrink it with pvresize. I like the older type commands even though TheFu doesn't like them
    Code:
    sudo pvdisplay
    sudo vgdisplay
    sudo lvdisplay
    That will give you good info about all three components of LVM. I want to see if the PV now is 75GB or 100GB. And subsequently how is the VG.

And for sdb if you still don't have any data on it, I would unmount it, create new msdos or gpt table on it (that will destroy the current ext4 formatting on sdb), then create one new partition sdb1 and then format that partition as ext4. After that you mount and use that partition. If you need help with commands about this part, let us know.

Hi Please find the output:

sudo pvdisplay
    Code:
      --- Physical volume ---
      PV Name               /dev/sda3
      VG Name               ubuntu-vg
      PV Size               <98.40 GiB / not usable 410.00 KiB
      Allocatable           yes
      PE Size               4.00 MiB
      Total PE              25190
      Free PE               12582
      Allocated PE          12608
      PV UUID               dzJeHH-oEOD-6Wfi-2QzN-1Jsk-mblK-rEbqRD

sudo vgdisplay

Code:
      --- Volume group ---
      VG Name               ubuntu-vg
      System ID
      Format                lvm2
      Metadata Areas        1
      Metadata Sequence No  5
      VG Access             read/write
      VG Status             resizable
      MAX LV                0
      Cur LV                1
      Open LV               1
      Max PV                0
      Cur PV                1
      Act PV                1
      VG Size               <98.40 GiB
      PE Size               4.00 MiB
      Total PE              25190
      Alloc PE / Size       12608 / 49.25 GiB
      Free  PE / Size       12582 / <49.15 GiB
      VG UUID               ji4eP9-Wal5-BQRo-Qijk-wIIi-LcHt-pqkDej

sudo lvdisplay
    Code:
      --- Logical volume ---
      LV Path                /dev/ubuntu-vg/ubuntu-lv
      LV Name                ubuntu-lv
      VG Name                ubuntu-vg
      LV UUID                BEhVeI-mjth-dMLm-4s2f-08NX-hpAh-dSnqTa
      LV Write Access        read/write
      LV Creation host, time ubuntu-server, 2020-07-31 21:19:28 +0000
      LV Status              available
      # open                 1
      LV Size                49.25 GiB
      Current LE             12608
      Segments               1
      Allocation             inherit
      Read ahead sectors     auto
      - currently set to     256
      Block device           253:0

The SSD has data but I can take 2 days off work and rebuild the system. This is part of my final year project and will be ingesting data at around 2 GB/day. If you do forsee problems do let me know. I want to get a distinction

Beans
    Distro

OK, the LVM part looks good. Both the PV and the VG are 100GB, and the LV is 50GB.

If you wanna practice how easy it is to add more space to root LV lets make it exactly 55GB:
    Code:
    sudo lvextend -L +5.75G /dev/ubuntu-vg/ubuntu-lv
    That will make it go from 49.25 to 55.00GB.

But that only extends the LV. The filesystem size you adjust with:
    Code:
    sudo resize2fs /dev/ubuntu-vg/ubuntu-lv
    Now you have root of 55GB.

I would rearrange sdb. Without rebuilding the whole system. But you would need to temporarily move the data from sdb unless you have a backup or second location with that data. Because rearranging sdb will destroy the data currently on it.
    Darko.
    Ubuntu 18.04 LTS 64bit

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Or to it in 1 command:
    Code:
    sudo lvextend -r -L +5.75G /dev/ubuntu-vg/ubuntu-lv
    That will handle the resize2fs for us with just 1 added switch.

Guess we will never know how the first time only saw a 50G PV.
    I do like that the root LV is not using all the storage.

If you use LVM for the OS, why not use it for the data SSD too? Is there a reason?

BTW, I've not performed an install using the 20.04.1 installers, yet.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123