Thread: How to change width of column on left side of the screen

Beans

How to change width of column on left side of the screen

There is a column on the left of the screen that has links to lots of the software I use. I don't know the correct name for this column. But how do you make it wider or thinner or change it's behavior?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Re: How to change width of column on left side of the screen

I think that is the dock named plank which I never did manage to configure as I wanted, and which I haven't used for a very long time.
    When I did try Lubuntu-20.04 at its release I removed plank and added a vertical panel in its place to which, if I remember correctly, I added application launchers simply by dragging them from the menu to the panel.

I did not keep Lubuntu, however, much preferring Xubuntu, so some of my detailed memories could just be playing tricks on me (and possibly you) and not exactly how I did things.

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Never heard of "Plank" for Lubuntu 20.04.
    It is the Panel that's been placed on the left instead of the bottom of the screen? The question contains very little information.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Thanks ml9104, I think you may be correct and my memory was at fault..
    Having now searched some more I don't think plank is installed by default as I originally believed, so perhaps Tom does already have just a panel on the left (as well as the default at the bottom?) in which there are many launchers.

Can you please show us a screenshot of your desktop, using the attachment icon (paperclip) in the Reply window top panel which may give us a much better idea what we're dealing with.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Tom_Carr View Post
    There is a column on the left of the screen that has links to lots of the software I use. I don't know the correct name for this column. But how do you make it wider or thinner or change it's behavior?
    Could you confirm you are using Lubuntu, and not Ubuntu? The 'column' could be the default Ubuntu dock which extends top to bottom and fits your description. Also suggesting this is your last thread asking about Ubuntu.

If it's Ubuntu Dock, you can control the width by setting the icon size:
    Settings > Appearance > Dock > Icon Size.

And if you want more dock settings, install 'Dash to Dock' Gnome-Shell extension.

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Just for fun, I placed my Lubuntu panel on the left side of the screen. Don't know if that's what the OP means, but this is what it looks like:
    Attached Images Attached Images

Beans

My mistake. I checked lubuntu when I meant to check ubuntu. The question is for ubuntu. Should I repost this question?

Here is a picture of an ubuntu screen.

https://www.google.com/search?q=ubun...P52b4TXJVbXFAM

You will notice a column on the left of the screen that has links to stuff like firefox, file manager, amazon and so on. How do I change the width and behavior of that column?

Beans

You will notice a column on the left of the screen that has links to stuff like firefox, file manager, amazon and so on. How do I change the width and behavior of that column
    Go to:

System Tools > Settings > Appearance

Under 'Dock', change the icon size to a smaller number to reduce the width.
    Turn on 'Autohide' if you want it hidden when windows overlap it, like maximizing a window.

To change color, length, position and more, you need to install the gnome-shell extension dash-to-dock which will replace it.
    Last edited by Dennis N; August 4th, 2020 at 06:26 PM.

Beans

Thanks.