Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: How do I block access to certain website through my ubuntu server 18.04?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Re: How do I block access to certain website through my ubuntu server 18.04?

I didn't have the issue you've hit. Is the pi-hole software installed into an LXD container or virtual machine?

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by TheFu View Post
    I didn't have the issue you've hit. Is the pi-hole software installed into an LXD container or virtual machine?
    I installed it on ubuntu server 18.04 physical machine. I don't have LXD container installed.

Maybe I should remove the installation and follow the LXD container process.

Beans
    Distro

As stated above:
    IMHO, the WAN router needs to run on dedicated hardware. Not on a mixed use computer or inside a virtual machine. Sure, people do run their WAN routers on VMs and you can find thousands of "how-tos" for doing that too, but it is a really bad idea. One tiny mistake - a careless command - and the entire network is down.
    There are reasons for writing everything above, but we all go our own way sometimes. Perhaps you can make it work, but my 25+ yrs doing admin work has taught me to keep things separate. It is easier now than ever. But I don't know how you'll get the bridge working on the same system where the router runs. Perhaps you are better at networking than me.

Beans

Question Re: How do I block access to certain website through my ubuntu server 18.04?

As stated above:

There are reasons for writing everything above, but we all go our own way sometimes. Perhaps you can make it work, but my 25+ yrs doing admin work has taught me to keep things separate. It is easier now than ever. But I don't know how you'll get the bridge working on the same system where the router runs. Perhaps you are better at networking than me.
    Do you suggest then that I install pi-hole on a separate machine from the main server? To tell you the truth I don't know nothing about network or ubuntu. I am novice. Most of the terms I heard for the first time here.
    Last edited by BlackGuyZA; August 9th, 2020 at 03:22 PM.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by BlackGuyZA View Post
    Do you suggest then that I install pi-hole on a separate machine from the main server?
    I'd rather you used a real router, perhaps from Ubiquiti or Mikrotik (not some consumer brand) and used this Linux server as a VM/LXD host for other services like pi-hole, squid, file storage, and with an extra HDD, backups. Each of those things would run in separate VMs or LXD containers.

Both Ubiquiti and Mikrotik have good histories providing patches. The video about the pi-hole - that guy did a series about using a Mikrotik router in the last few months.

I've not used either Mikrotik or Ubiquiti routers, but I have deployed Ubiquiti WAPs for clients. They make the best, cheapest, enterprise stuff. When I do this sort of work (routers), I deploy specialized router HW and load pfSense or OPNSense. For a small environment where home routers are completely inadequate, those really are the only choices. All the others are too expensive or don't provide solid security.

A little ER-X router is much better than anything from cisco/linksys, tp-link, d-link, netgear, asus, for about $60. Ubiquiti's software is based off a different sort of software, so the learning curve will be higher.
    Same for the Mikrotik hEX RB750Gr3 - great value for the price. All RB models use the same software, so the lowest end version scales up to their $450+ stuff. Nothing new to learn.

If you plan to add wifi, keep that separate from the router. Get a Ubiquiti WAP or 2 or 10 or 20, if that's what you need. The Ubiquiti WAPs all have a web interface or you can run a central controller via free software (use a VM) to control them all together. This is how large hotels manage their wifi grid stuff.

I've got to do some hardware changes here for the next few hours. Won't be available. Swapping disk controllers and RAID HDDs in 2 different systems. Not my idea of fun, but I've put it off as long as I can. ;( Good luck.

Beans

I'd rather you used a real router, perhaps from Ubiquiti or Mikrotik (not some consumer brand) and used this Linux server as a VM/LXD host for other services like pi-hole, squid, file storage, and with an extra HDD, backups. Each of those things would run in separate VMs or LXD containers.

Both Ubiquiti and Mikrotik have good histories providing patches. The video about the pi-hole - that guy did a series about using a Mikrotik router in the last few months.

I've not used either Mikrotik or Ubiquiti routers, but I have deployed Ubiquiti WAPs for clients. They make the best, cheapest, enterprise stuff. When I do this sort of work (routers), I deploy specialized router HW and load pfSense or OPNSense. For a small environment where home routers are completely inadequate, those really are the only choices. All the others are too expensive or don't provide solid security.

A little ER-X router is much better than anything from cisco/linksys, tp-link, d-link, netgear, asus, for about $60. Ubiquiti's software is based off a different sort of software, so the learning curve will be higher.
    Same for the Mikrotik hEX RB750Gr3 - great value for the price. All RB models use the same software, so the lowest end version scales up to their $450+ stuff. Nothing new to learn.

If you plan to add wifi, keep that separate from the router. Get a Ubiquiti WAP or 2 or 10 or 20, if that's what you need. The Ubiquiti WAPs all have a web interface or you can run a central controller via free software (use a VM) to control them all together. This is how large hotels manage their wifi grid stuff.

I've got to do some hardware changes here for the next few hours. Won't be available. Swapping disk controllers and RAID HDDs in 2 different systems. Not my idea of fun, but I've put it off as long as I can. ;( Good luck.
    I run my home network through Ubiquiti router because that is the device I get my internet and I found it easier to work with than Mikrotik which one of my friends uses at his house.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12