Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: LUBUNTU How install "obsolete" software ?

Beans

LUBUNTU How install "obsolete" software ?

Using Lubuntu 20.04. Trying to install an deb package is displayed an message "an new version is available" and the install is blocked. How to install an deb package if is being blocked only because is "old" version ? Thanks for reply.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: LUBUNTU How install "obsolete" software ?

"A new version is available" message appears when the same but newer software is in the repository.
    Why do you think you need to install an older version and not form the official repository?

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Quote Originally Posted by CelticWarrior View Post
    "A new version is available" message appears when the same but newer software is in the repository.
    Why do you think you need to install an older version and not form the official repository?
    I think I can answer that, I made the same mistake when starting with Ubuntu.

It's a mindset thing when coming from the MS world. Win users have over the years been brainwashed into accepting the "planned obsolesce" strategy of MS support for older hardware, which forces you to install older program versions if you have older hardware.
    The Linux system of "once in the repository it stays in the repository" has to be learned and accepted first.
    Last edited by Frogs Hair; July 31st, 2020 at 01:18 AM.

Beans

I wait have all packages downloaded saved in an folder to avoid download again. I had downloaded an software from debian repository and was the latest version, but had an new version unstable. Lubuntu wait to install the latest version unstable. I wait to avoid it.

Beans

Then you only have a snapshot of the version of the package in time. If the release of Ubuntu is still supported it will hit the repositories and see a newer version. Is your Web access limited or expensive per gigabyte or something like that?

Beans

Metered connection and slow. I wait avoid download all again if Lubuntu need to be reinstalled. I have an software that is last version, but Lubuntu not allow to install instead try to install latest unstable version Not is possible to disable the block install for some softwares ?

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Packages get cached in /var/cache/apt/archives/. This cache can be cleared automatically, so you may have to tweak some settings to prevent that.

Debian only calls something stable when it's really rock solid, therefore a bit old. Mixing Debian and Ubuntu may not work very well.

Beans

"Packages get cached in /var/cache/apt/archives/. This cache can be cleared automatically, so you may have to tweak some settings to prevent that."
    That means if I configure to not clear that package cache is possible if copied that folder to an reinstalled system install package without download again ?

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

I think apt-get, update-manager and synaptic keep all downloaded packages in cache until it's cleared, but apt removes packages from cache after succesful installation. I guess that can be configured. You may have to dig deeply in the manuals.
    Code:
    sudo apt-get autoclean
    removes packages from cache that are no longer available, like packages that have been replaced by upgraded versions. It would be OK for you to run that occasionally (like before backing up /var/cache/apt/archives/).
    Code:
    sudo apt-get clean
    deletes all cache, so don't run that if downloads are more expensive to you than storage.

When you want to reinstall – and I don't know how often you're going to break your system – you can backup /var/cache/apt/archives/ to external storage. Then install Lubuntu (or any other flavour) without downloading and installing upgrades during the initial install. That's an option, so don't enable that. Then copy the .debs from your backup back to the new /var/cache/apt/archives/ and install upgrades and additional software. All packages that already have the latest version in your cache won't be downloaded again.

Note that I never tried this myself.

Beans

Strange. As long as the newer version is not already installed (or you can uninstall it first) you can just ignore the warning and install it anyway, then pin the package, that is assuming that you install the .deb with gdebi, with the command it may not let you, I haven't installed old packages with command (did it a few times with gdebi though since compiling tensorflow needs different versions of bazel, sometimes I have to downgrade)
    Last edited by monkeybrain20122; August 2nd, 2020 at 04:52 AM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast