Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: LUBUNTU How install "obsolete" software ?

Beans

Re: LUBUNTU How install "obsolete" software ?

Quote Originally Posted by Impavidus View Post

Debian only calls something stable when it's really rock solid.
    Or broken in a consistent and predictable way. I have tried Debian stable before, not only is the software old enough to go to the museum, some are also buggy since upstream bug fixes would never be backported unless it is security vulnerability. Speaking for myself I wouldn't care for "stability" in Debian speak, but that is just me, I am sure some would disagree.
    Last edited by monkeybrain20122; August 2nd, 2020 at 05:50 AM.

Beans

@Impavidus
    "I think apt-get, update-manager and synaptic keep all downloaded packages in cache until it's cleared, but apt removes packages from cache after succesful installation. I guess that can be configured. You may have to dig deeply in the manuals."
    How configure to avoid the cache to be cleared after installation ? Where is information about it ?

"Packages get cached in /var/cache/apt/archives/. This cache can be cleared automatically, so you may have to tweak some settings to prevent that."
    Is possible create an folder in second partition and create an symbolic link to /var/cache/apt/archives/ thus avoiding to copy all again to system partition ?

I had downloaded software in debian repository because not have the software in Ubuntu repository.
    Another problem is an software that only is available in software site.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Quote Originally Posted by aug7744 View Post
    @Impavidus
    "I think apt-get, update-manager and synaptic keep all downloaded packages in cache until it's cleared, but apt removes packages from cache after successful installation. I guess that can be configured. You may have to dig deeply in the manuals."
    How configure to avoid the cache to be cleared after installation ? Where is information about it ?
    A lot of information can be found in the manuals. Use
    Code:
    man [subject]
    to read the manual page about one subject, like a command or a system config file. They're not always easy to read, but it's a great way to learn about Linux systems. In this case, I suggest these:
    Code:
    man apt
    man apt-config
    man apt.conf
    This all suggests that you can set
    Code:
    Binary::apt::APT::Keep-Downloaded-Packages "1";
    in a config file where apt-config will read it, so that apt will no longer clear cache automatically after successful installation. For the other tools that was the default already.

"Packages get cached in /var/cache/apt/archives/. This cache can be cleared automatically, so you may have to tweak some settings to prevent that."
    Is possible create an folder in second partition and create an symbolic link to /var/cache/apt/archives/ thus avoiding to copy all again to system partition ?
    It may work if you create a directory for these cached .deb files on a different partition and replace your /var/cache/apt/archives/ with a symlink to this directory. Be careful though. It will cause weird problems if you attempt to use the package manager when that second partition isn't mounted or is mounted in an unexpected place. This will happen if you ever try to fix package management in recovery mode, when such partitions don't get mounted automatically. Also make sure this second partition has a native Linux filesystem and you give the cache directory there the same permissions and owner as the original. I never tried this myself, but most tools don't care about following some symlinks to get to the files they need. You can even make a dedicated partition for this apt cache and mount it at /var/cache/apt/archives, but you'll probably either make it too small (causing errors) or too big (wasting disk space) and will definitely make things opaque.

I had downloaded software in debian repository because not have the software in Ubuntu repository.
    Another problem is an software that only is available in software site.
    First choice is the Ubuntu repository, second choice is an alternative from the Ubuntu repository. You can install software from .debs from other sources, but keep track of them. Those packages may cause problems, so keep an eye on it and remove it when such problems arise.

Beans

" Binary::apt::APT::Keep-Downloaded-Packages "1"; "
    The command need to be exaclt how is above to configure to not clear cache after installation ?

"You can install software from .debs from other sources, but keep track of them. Those packages may cause problems, so keep an eye on it and remove it when such problems arise."
    Problems with wrong dependencies or virus ?

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Quote Originally Posted by aug7744 View Post
    " Binary::apt::APT::Keep-Downloaded-Packages "1"; "
    The command need to be exaclt how is above to configure to not clear cache after installation ?
    Have a look at the manual and the config files you find in /etc/apt/apt.conf.d/. You should be able to put the line in /etc/apt/apt.conf (create it if it doesn't exist). Actually, maybe you need the option Clean-Installed (and set it to 0) instead of Keep-Downloaded-Packages. I don't know, but the manual appears good.

"You can install software from .debs from other sources, but keep track of them. Those packages may cause problems, so keep an eye on it and remove it when such problems arise."
    Problems with wrong dependencies or virus ?
    Problems with wrong dependencies. If there's malware in the .deb, it will be installed the moment you install the .deb, so don't install .debs from untrusted sources. If there's no malware in it, it won't appear later, unless you download a new version and install that.

Beans

Finnally I now understand the problem.
    Thanks for all replies.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12