Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Computer completely hangs while watching Youtube

Beans

Computer completely hangs while watching Youtube

I am a lifetime Windows user who made the complete shift to Linux last week. Obviously, I am a complete newbie.

I was watching Youtube several times and many times, after watching for around 5 to 7 minutes, my laptop completely hangs. I cannot move the cursor, switch tty or anything. Maybe another important piece of information is that this happens gradually. First the video freezes, but audio is fine. Then I try to pause the clip, exit fullscreen, or attempt anything else, and everything freezes up. Running Firefox on Wayland with VAAPI enabled did not result in an freeze. However, tried on other DE's and Chrome, and got the same result.

I tried reading /var/log/kern.log but could not find anything (mostly just don't know what to look for). Not sure if I'm expected to post the log file, or what information to provide.

I am running Ubuntu 20.04 on Ryzen 2500u, and all packages are up to date.

If anything is wrong in this post, please excuse me and let me know what I can add.
    Thank you.
    Last edited by sakh; July 29th, 2020 at 06:01 PM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Re: Computer completely hangs while watching Youtube

You don't mention what graphics hardware you have which is probably important for us to be able to help you.

Please show us the output of terminal command
    Code:
    inxi -Fzx
    Please use Code-Tags for terminal output as it makes that output much more easily read and understood, formatting the text as seen in terminal, not as plain text when it is copied and pasted. See my signature below for a How-to

Beans

Thanks for replying. I have the integrated Radeon Vega 8 Graphics.

Code:
    System:    Kernel: 5.4.0-42-generic x86_64 bits: 64 compiler: gcc v: 9.3.0 Desktop: KDE Plasma 5.18.5 
               Distro: Ubuntu 20.04.1 LTS (Focal Fossa) 
    Machine:   Type: Laptop System: ASUSTeK product: VivoBook_ASUS Laptop X505ZA_X505ZA v: 1.0 serial: <filter> 
               Mobo: ASUSTeK model: X505ZA v: 1.0 serial: <filter> UEFI: American Megatrends v: X505ZA.311 date: 05/21/2019 
    Battery:   ID-1: BAT0 charge: 19.5 Wh condition: 32.7/42.1 Wh (78%) model: ASUSTeK ASUS Battery status: Discharging 
    CPU:       Topology: Quad Core model: AMD Ryzen 5 2500U with Radeon Vega Mobile Gfx bits: 64 type: MT MCP arch: Zen 
               L2 cache: 2048 KiB 
               flags: avx avx2 lm nx pae sse sse2 sse3 sse4_1 sse4_2 sse4a ssse3 svm bogomips: 31938 
               Speed: 1366 MHz min/max: 1600/2000 MHz Core speeds (MHz): 1: 1369 2: 1477 3: 1368 4: 1368 5: 1368 6: 1368 7: 1366 
               8: 1368 
    Graphics:  Device-1: AMD Raven Ridge [Radeon Vega Series / Radeon Vega Mobile Series] vendor: ASUSTeK driver: amdgpu v: kernel 
               bus ID: 03:00.0 
               Display: x11 server: X.Org 1.20.8 driver: amdgpu FAILED: ati unloaded: fbdev,modesetting,vesa 
               resolution: 1920x1080~60Hz 
               OpenGL: renderer: AMD RAVEN (DRM 3.35.0 5.4.0-42-generic LLVM 10.0.0) v: 4.6 Mesa 20.0.8 direct render: Yes 
    Audio:     Device-1: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD/ATI] Raven/Raven2/Fenghuang HDMI/DP Audio driver: snd_hda_intel v: kernel 
               bus ID: 03:00.1 
               Device-2: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] Family 17h HD Audio vendor: ASUSTeK driver: snd_hda_intel v: kernel 
               bus ID: 03:00.6 
               Sound Server: ALSA v: k5.4.0-42-generic 
    Network:   Device-1: Intel Wireless 8265 / 8275 driver: iwlwifi v: kernel bus ID: 01:00.0 
               IF: wlp1s0 state: up mac: <filter> 
               Device-2: Realtek RTL8111/8168/8411 PCI Express Gigabit Ethernet vendor: ASUSTeK driver: r8169 v: kernel port: f000 
               bus ID: 02:00.0 
               IF: enp2s0 state: down mac: <filter> 
    Drives:    Local Storage: total: 931.51 GiB used: 94.25 GiB (10.1%) 
               ID-1: /dev/sda vendor: Toshiba model: MQ04ABF100 size: 931.51 GiB temp: 32 C 
    Partition: ID-1: / size: 146.64 GiB used: 94.22 GiB (64.3%) fs: ext4 dev: /dev/sda5 
    Sensors:   System Temperatures: cpu: 37.8 C mobo: N/A gpu: amdgpu temp: 37 C 
               Fan Speeds (RPM): cpu: 2500 
    Info:      Processes: 272 Uptime: 4m Memory: 6.80 GiB used: 1.23 GiB (18.1%) Init: systemd runlevel: 5 Compilers: gcc: 9.3.0 
               Shell: bash v: 5.0.17 inxi: 3.0.38
    Thank you.
    Last edited by sakh; July 30th, 2020 at 02:30 AM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Lubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

This might be easier than you think.

Open the affected browsers, navigate to their settings page, and check to see if "Hardware Acceleration" is enabled.

If it is enabled, disable it and restart the brower.

If it is not enabled, return here and hopefully someone else knows where the problem is. The symptoms you describe can be caused by HA being enabled.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

I am out of touch with AMD and the amdgpu drivers, and which graphics chips work with that driver, but I do note in your inxi output that amdgpu FAILED.

That seems suspicious to me but wait for more posters who know more than I do before doing anything other than the suggestion above about HA.

Beans

Thanks for your suggestion. I disabled HA but it froze again. Also, just to be clear, when I run Firefox with HA enabled (on Wayland) using VAAPI, it doesn't seem to cause it to freeze. The couple times I have tried this never resulted in a crash.
    For reference, I use this:
    Code:
    MOZ_ENABLE_WAYLAND=1 firefox

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by ajgreeny View Post
    I am out of touch with AMD and the amdgpu drivers, and which graphics chips work with that driver, but I do note in your inxi output that amdgpu FAILED.

That seems suspicious to me but wait for more posters who know more than I do before doing anything other than the suggestion above about HA.
    Not really. It says "driver: amdgpu" and "FAILED: ati". It looks fine. You have to read the spaces and the colons correctly.

@OP, what are the outputs if you start firefox in the terminal and go to Youtube?

Beans

Code:
    Gtk-Message: 16:54:28.359: Failed to load module "appmenu-gtk-module"
    Gtk-Message: 16:54:42.733: Failed to load module "appmenu-gtk-module"

###!!! [Parent][RunMessage] Error: Channel closing: too late to send/recv, messages will be lost
    The Gtk-Message appears several more times.

Beans

Just as an update: the system finally crashed while using VAAPI, however it crashed a bit differently this time. The video kept running but the youtube interface refused to respond. I was also able to access all other windows and the system was fairly responsive (apart from being able to open new applications) until it too, finally crashed and I had to hard reset.

Beans

Seems like a graphic driver issue, how did you install the amd driver? Is it the open source driver or the proprietary one? Can you upgrade or downgrade it? Sorry I don't have much experience with amd so I might be out to lunch.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast