Thread: apt-get update

Beans

apt-get update

Hi,

I the company where I work we have an old ubuntu installed (Ubuntu 10.04.4 LTS)

When I try to upgrade the package openssl it outputs:

Reading package lists... Done
    Building dependency tree
    Reading state information... Done
    0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 0 not upgraded.

So, I tried to update the OS with apt-get update I have this error message :

gnutls_handshake() failed: A TLS fatal alert has been received.
    Err https://deb.nodesource.com lucid/main Sources
    gnutls_handshake() failed: A TLS fatal alert has been received.

Any idea ?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Re: apt-get update

Welcome to the forum.

Ubuntu 10.04 is so obsolete (released over 10 years ago, and out of support for over 5 years) that it would not be productive trying to troubleshoot this. If you want to install a supported release of Ubuntu on the old or newer equipment and need help with this, you are very welcome to start another thread. If you have any particular software needs, please describe these in any new thread.

Good luck.
    Ubuntu 18.04 Desktop Guide - Ubuntu 20.04 Desktop Guide - Forum Guide to BBCode - Using BBCode code tags - IRC #ubuntuforums

Member: Not Canonical Team

Please do not PM me about your forum account unless you have been asked to. Unsolicited PMs about your account will be ignored. The correct place to contact an admin about your account is here.

Beans

What is the output of:
    Code:
    lsb_release -a
    uname -a
    sudo grep -R lucid /etc/apt/*

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

For your information the software sources or repositories of Ubuntu 10.04 have been moved ever since 10.04 reached end of life. So, it is impossible to update any software package because the address of the repositories is now incorrect. But they can be changed.

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/EOLUpgrades

Note the section on upgrading the sources.list file. You find the sources.list file at /etc/apt/ Look in the folders in the etc directory. You edit the file using Gedit.
    It is a machine. It is more stupid than we are. It will not stop us from doing stupid things.
    Ubuntu user #33,200. Linux user #530,530