Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Ubuntu 18.04: Trouble fixing bad install of Okular

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: Ubuntu 18.04: Trouble fixing bad install of Okular

Quote Originally Posted by TheFu View Post
    If you open the files using one of the tools where it works, then save it to a slightly different PDF v1.x format, does that "fix" the problem?
    I didn't know it was possible to change PDF version format.
    I thought document viewers were read only.

How is it done? Would PDF maker/creator software do it?

Bug report to GNOME Evince has already received a response:
    https://gitlab.gnome.org/GNOME/evince/-/issues/1464

He was able to reproduce problem with latest version of Evince.

Didn't realise how far behind 18.04 is already. It's installed Evince version is "ancient software" !

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Quote Originally Posted by nought2 View Post
    Didn't realise how far behind 18.04 is already. It's installed Evince version is "ancient software" !
    That's common for a dev team to say. In their minds, anything over 3 months ago is.

For me, stability is more important than "new." Most systems here are still on 16.04, though I have (1) 20.04 VM where I see some of the pain for new software and the new OS issues. For certain, 16.04 had lots of issues when it first came out. Either they were solved or I learned to get around them.

If "new" is more important to you, seek out a PPA with the newer version.

Beans

nought2

I checked out the Okular Snap. It installed without any problem, but as you report, it had two icons in the overview search result. Both launched Okular. I found this was because there were two .desktop files for the program:

Code:
    dmn@Sydney-VM:/var/lib/snapd/desktop/applications$ ls | grep okular
    okular_okular.desktop 
    okular_org.kde.okular.desktop
    I renamed the the second (has the gear icon) as okular_org.kde.okular.hide and it no longer appears. I imagine it could reappear in an update, though.

Okular suffers from this theming 'bug':

'Snaps don't honor the system theme'
    https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...d/+bug/1585332

The Okular snap works, but you have to put up with a peculiar file chooser in how you navigate to a file to open. I found no way to bookmark a folder to make this simpler.

Hopefully, improvements will come for any Okular Snap users.
    Last edited by Dennis N; July 30th, 2020 at 05:53 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by TheFu View Post
    That's common for a dev team to say. In their minds, anything over 3 months ago is.

For me, stability is more important than "new." Most systems here are still on 16.04, though I have (1) 20.04 VM where I see some of the pain for new software and the new OS issues. For certain, 16.04 had lots of issues when it first came out. Either they were solved or I learned to get around them.

If "new" is more important to you, seek out a PPA with the newer version.
    In May 2020 after getting wind of the imminent release of Ubuntu 18.04 LTS I had a crack at a system upgrade to a development release before the real-deal 20.04.1 was let loose. The upgrade thoroughly trashed my system. Not to worry, I had prepared by making a system image first. An important lasting benefit of the experience was learning how to stop upgrades getting pushed at my system from repositories. There will be no accidental upgrade nightmares.

Edit the configuration file:
    Code:
    /etc/update-manager/release-upgrades
    Here, you can check the line Prompt=XXXX, whereby:

• never – no upgrades will be offered.
    • normal – supported release that immediately succeeds the currently running release will be offered.
    • lts – LTS releases will be offered.
    To use 20.04 LTS would require a fresh and clean install. On top of that I'd have to add and build all the bits and pieces that make my 18.04 system largely a pleasure to use. I've had 18.04 running for about a year. I've found it to be a very reliable and stable operating system. It is going alright, and I see from the steady stream of updates coming down the pipe that it is being continuously improved. There is no need for me to change it. I might consider doing that next year though, or even later.

My approach to installed software is different. LibreOffice, for example, undergoes constant development. The effort applied appears to be massive. The version installed to 18.04 was never upgraded via sudo apt update, sudo apt upgrade. Thanks to Dennis N I became aware of other upgrade channels for LO. First it was AppImage, and in this thread Flatpak. They take me where I want to be with LO, running ever improved and refined versions.

For some tools I subscribe to PPAs. On example is gscan2pdf. My user experienced with it has at times been noticeably improved by versions installed via the developer's PPA.

This approach does not have me recklessly teetering over a bleeding edge or anything like that.
    Last edited by nought2; July 31st, 2020 at 02:45 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis N View Post
    I checked out the Okular Snap. It installed without any problem, but as you report, it had two icons in the overview search result. Both launched Okular. I found this was because there were two .desktop files for the program:

Code:
    dmn@Sydney-VM:/var/lib/snapd/desktop/applications$ ls | grep okular
    okular_okular.desktop 
    okular_org.kde.okular.desktop
    I tried running that command, got nothing, then realised I had removed the Okular Snap.
    As mentioned earlier, I've given up on trying to get it working. Okular Flatpak will serve me nicely.
    There is some solace in knowing some of the weirdness on my system was caused by a documented bug.

Reading through this thread again yesterday I realised I'd overlooked a change you'd made with handling the LO version installed from Ubuntu repos (6.0.7.3). Just uninstall it. Yesterday I looked up how to do that from terminal.

Series of commands:
    Code:
    ~$ sudo apt-get remove --purge libreoffice*
    ~$ sudo apt clean
    ~$ sudo apt-get autoremove
    Now its gone.

There's no longer any confusion with stray icons for an LO version I didn't use getting pulled up by Super > search "libre"
    LO Flatpak is working out well for me.

Should have realised there is PPA for LO that will install 'fresh' versions to 18.04:
    Code:
    ~$ sudo add-apt-repository ppa:libreoffice/ppa
    Last edited by nought2; July 31st, 2020 at 03:03 AM.

Beans

Should have realised there is PPA for LO that will install 'fresh' versions to 18.04
    It's not surprising that there is one. But a PPA is only for Ubuntu, not other distros like Fedora, Arch Linux, or Manjaro.

I do use the PPA for the flatpak application. It gives you the latest version, 1.8.1, while Ubuntu 20.04 offers version 1.6.3-1
    The maintainer Alex Larsson is one of the Flatpak developers, so I trust this particular PPA.

Otherwise, I don't use PPAs.

There is at the moment a big difference in usability between the Snap and Flatpak versions of Okular - Flatpak has the edge on usability here.
    But, that's not always true. Snaps of LibreOffice, Inkscape, Gimp, and Firefox for example, I consider as good as the Flatpak versions.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

The maintainer Alex Larsson is one of the Flatpak developers, so I trust this particular PPA.
    It's delectably appropriate Flatpak was developed and named by someone with a Scandinavian name.

An irony in the name struck me when I was agog at the scale of the download needed to install Okular Flatpak. When shopping for things for your abode you might find yourself wandering around inside a cavernous Scandinavian homeware emporium. You select suitable bookshelves, desk, table, whatever, load the flatpacked cartons into your wagon to take home, then fiddle around with Allen keys for a few hours while assembling them. The items start small and finish big.

Flatpak software is not quite the same. After choosing a small item you take it home. When assembling the package its instructions tell you it needs a lot of other stuff that wasn't mentioned back at the megastore. To finish the job you wind up having to drag back a huge chunk of the cavernous emporium too and somehow stuff it into your house. The items start pretty big and get much much bigger!

Yeah, Flatpak is a great name.

Earlier in the thread you mentioned Firefox ESR. Until I built a new system last year it was FF ESR 52.9.0 that kept me remotely in touch with the internet while I doggedly slogged along with WinXP. Changes to FF extension design meant there would be no more extension updates for 52.9.0, which forced a timely end to that long serving venerable old box.

Ubuntu has markedly expanded my FF experience. It enables me to run multiple profiles concurrently. That's really useful. It might be possible to do it in Windows environment nowadays as well, but in XP it was fiddly to setup and I never got around to doing it. In Ubuntu it's as simple as running "firefox -p" (launches FF profile manager) from a new terminal instance and you're away.

Returning to Firefox as a Snap, ESR or main release, is it possible to use multiple profiles with the Snap format?
    Where is the profile folder located?

Curious to see how many PPAs I have subscribed to I ran:
    Code:
    ~$ apt-cache policy | grep http | grep ppa
     500 http://ppa.launchpad.net/unit193/encryption/ubuntu bionic/main i386 Packages
     500 http://ppa.launchpad.net/unit193/encryption/ubuntu bionic/main amd64 Packages
     500 http://ppa.launchpad.net/micahflee/ppa/ubuntu bionic/main i386 Packages
     500 http://ppa.launchpad.net/micahflee/ppa/ubuntu bionic/main amd64 Packages
     500 http://ppa.launchpad.net/jeffreyratcliffe/ppa/ubuntu bionic/main i386 Packages
     500 http://ppa.launchpad.net/jeffreyratcliffe/ppa/ubuntu bionic/main amd64 Packages
     500 http://ppa.launchpad.net/alexlarsson/flatpak/ubuntu bionic/main i386 Packages
     500 http://ppa.launchpad.net/alexlarsson/flatpak/ubuntu bionic/main amd64 Packages
     500 http://ppa.launchpad.net/adamreichold/qpdfview-dailydeb/ubuntu bionic/main i386 Packages
     500 http://ppa.launchpad.net/adamreichold/qpdfview-dailydeb/ubuntu bionic/main amd64 Packages
    Veracrypt, Onion Share, gscan2pdf, Flatpak, qpdfview.

That's not an excessive indulgence.
    Risks to system security? With these I think it is minimal.
    Last edited by nought2; July 31st, 2020 at 12:00 PM.

Beans

Returning to Firefox as a Snap, ESR or main release, is it possible to use multiple profiles with the Snap format?
    I've seen a notice when installing the Firefox Snap while the regular Firefox is still there. Essentially, it says the new install will have a new profile which allows them to coexist, and they do. I would think that extends to a different Snap version from a different Snap channel.

For example, you could run Firefox Snap from latest/stable alongside the version from latest/beta.
    On this computer, there is a regular Firefox + a Snap version, and there are two profiles in ~/.mozilla/firefox.

Current state of Firefox Snap:

Code:
    channels:
      latest/stable:    79.0-1       2020-07-30 (398) 171MB -
      latest/candidate: 79.0-1       2020-07-27 (398) 171MB -
      latest/beta:      80.0b2-1     2020-07-31 (402) 171MB -
      latest/edge:      ↑                                   
      esr/stable:       68.11.0esr-1 2020-07-27 (400) 221MB -
      esr/candidate:    78.1.0esr-1  2020-07-27 (399) 170MB -
      esr/beta:         ↑                                   
      esr/edge:         ↑
    As to the PPAs, if I can get the same end result (latest version) I am going with the Flatpak.

I found this article yesterday - you might find it of interest:

Flatpak: A Containerized Approach to Developing Linux Applications
    Last edited by Dennis N; August 1st, 2020 at 03:00 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

I found this article yesterday - you might find it of interest:

Flatpak: A Containerized Approach to Developing Linux Applications
    The Flatpak developers have certainly solved a lot of problems for app developers. It puts them in control of their product in so many ways. App release can be independent of distro release. That would be a huge obstacle for app developers. Small wonder there is only one Okular .deb package for Ubuntu 18.04, for example, or only only one .deb package of LibreOffice for 18.04. Too much work to go back and do all that testing again, especially when testing has to be done on apps for each annual distro release for several distros.

Then there is Flatpak making multiple runtimes available in parallel. Dependencies can be provided by app or underlying distro. Flatpak devs have sorted out distribution. And it was designed from first principles for cross-distro compatibility. It all adds up to a compelling alternative for app developers. It looks set for the long haul.

I hadn't realised Canonical was behind Snap and that some elements of Snap are tied to Ubuntu. It will be interesting to see if its adoption increases once it has become truly decoupled from Ubuntu. The more cross-distro application distribution channels there are, the easier Linux in general becomes to use.

A day or two back I had another Flatpak update experience. Regrettably I neglected to copy the terminal display. Three packages were updated, the only one I recall was Bitwarden. Flatpak warned its update download was going to be <70MB. Only something like 5MB was actually downloaded. It was a similar story with the other two updates. Warning for them was in the order of <350M. Only about a tenth of that was downloaded for each. It's a very efficient system to allow update downloads to be so modestly sized.

I've seen a notice when installing the Firefox Snap while the regular Firefox is still there. Essentially, it says the new install will have a new profile which allows them to coexist, and they do. I would think that extends to a different Snap version from a different Snap channel.

For example, you could run Firefox Snap from latest/stable alongside the version from latest/beta.
    On this computer, there is a regular Firefox + a Snap version, and there are two profiles in ~/.mozilla/firefox.
    It's interesting that FF Snap has its profile stored in ~/.mozilla/firefox, same place as installed FF profiles are stored by default.

It's useful that FF Snap can be run concurrently with installed FF. My query regarding FF ESR Snap was whether two or more of those profiles could be run concurrently via Snap as I do with installed FF via terminal. I imagine it would be tricky. I wonder if FF Snap's profile manager can be launched? That would be handy.

Prior to participating in this thread I hadn't realised different Snap channels were possible for a given application. Elsewhere I have seen that the desired channel can be selected via Ubuntu Software centre's GUI by clicking the green button in the "Details" section of an app's listing page. How can the desired channel be selected when a Snap is installed via terminal?
    Last edited by nought2; August 3rd, 2020 at 01:01 PM.

Beans

Disregard statements about the Firefox Snap profile location. Now I don't see any in ~/.mozilla/firefox, except for the default Firefox. After installing a Firefox Snap, it clearly doesn't use the existing one as things need to be configured again.

More on parallel installs of the same snap application from two channels: This is a new possibility - learn about it here:
    Snappy Lets You Install Multiple Versions of the Same Snap App
    According to the article, simultaneous use of two versions is not recommended.

How can the desired channel be selected when a Snap is installed via terminal?
    Examples
    Install Firefox ESR:
    Code:
    snap install --channel=esr/stable firefox
    Change Firefox to Firefox ESR using terminal commands (from my notes, with output):
    Code:
    snap switch --channel=esr/stable firefox
    "firefox" switched to the "esr/stable" channel
    snap refresh firefox
    firefox (esr/stable) 68.9.0esr-1 from Mozilla✓ refreshed

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast