Thread: Suddenly unable to boot into Linux after install (black screen) on Macbook Pro 2,2

Beans

Suddenly unable to boot into Linux after install (black screen) on Macbook Pro 2,2

Hello all,

I am a Linux beginner who has a late 2006 Macbook Pro (2,2) that I recently started using as a Linux machine as part of a renewal process. After reviewing a wide variety of documentation to rectify the 32-bit bootloader issue, I was able to develop the following process that allowed me to test a variety of Linux variants, ultimately settling on successfully installing Lubuntu 19.10:

1. Download distribution ISO
    2. Use UNetbootin to create a bootable USB
    3. Drag a bootia32.efi file into the EFI/boot directory
    4. Hold option to choose the USB as a bootable device
    5. Edit the grub entry to replace 'quiet splash' with 'nomodeset' as boot options
    6. Reboot to Linux installation on hard drive
    7. Press ESC to load grub menu and edit as per #5
    8. Edit the file at /etc/default/grub
    9. Run the update-grub command
    10. Reboot and enjoy!

After a while of using Lubuntu, something I did seemed to have broken audio (I was unable to get sound anymore, and none of the fixes I found online were relevant or seemed to work), so I followed the same strategy to successfully install Ubuntu 16.04 LTS. That was a bit too resource-intensive, so I thought I would try Kubuntu again as a middle-ground. And that's where I am having my problem.

I am able to successfully follow the above instructions up to and including #7. However, after I hit F10 to continue, it goes right to a black screen. I have tried following the "Troubleshooting Flow Chart" of the stickied thread, attempting to boot into a text console through nosplash --verbose text, by appending 3 to the boot options, and going into Advanced Options > recovery mode in order to access the shell prompt. None of these options allow me console access.

Does anybody have any additional insight about next steps to take? I am so lost as to how I am suddenly unable to utilize the same processes that were previously successful. I have attempted this with Xubuntu, as well as the flavors I'd installed previously, and I am lost for what to do. Thank you in advance for any time and consideration.

Kindly,
    Joseph

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: Suddenly unable to boot into Linux after install (black screen) on Macbook Pro 2,

Support for 19.10 ended. That's all I know.

If it is a 32-bit thing, then 18.04 is the only answer that I know. 32-bit support has been dropped from the normal Ubuntu. Some of the lighter Ubuntu flavors may retain 32-bit support, but IDK which, if any do.

No clue whether that model has a PowerPC or Intel CPU.
    Last edited by TheFu; July 26th, 2020 at 01:19 AM.

Beans

Re: Suddenly unable to boot into Linux after install (black screen) on Macbook Pro 2,

Hello, thank you for your reply. Lubuntu 19.10 just happens to be the only distribution I am successfully able to install (I am able to then upgrade through the console, but I am unable to run an installed Lubuntu 20.04 or any other distro I've tried except for Ubuntu 16.04). I just can't figure out what is wrong—especially when it's not like I can't get anydistro to work.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Thread moved to Apple Hardware Users for a more appropriate fit.

Beans

Xubuntu 18.04 32-bit installed OK on my EARLY 2006 MacBook Pro (1,1), but then it's restricted to 32-bit software anyway. Yours embarks a 64-bit-capable CPU, so it's a matter of enabling efi32, either on boot by adding an argument, or by slip-streaming it into your ISO prior to copying it onto your USB thingy.

AFAIK, your Mac has a 64-bit CPU, but the EFI itself is 32-bit. Alternately, you can format your USB stick as GPT instead of MBR.