Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Nvidia GTX 1650 ti, no HDMI output

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Re: Nvidia GTX 1650 ti, no HDMI output

Quote Originally Posted by mastablasta
    purge would be better, just in case there are some "old settings" that could interfere with new version.
    I followed 'Upgrading Your Nvidia Driver' from here ...

https://www.maketecheasier.com/insta...rivers-ubuntu/

... and, as it happens, when you install the new driver, it takes care of uninstalling the old one. (I could see it doing away with nvidia-driver-440 in the terminal during the 450 install.) Neat.

I installed the nvidia-driver-450 and Nvidia X Server Settings now works (although it's not showing much and there's virtually nothing tweakable) and it looks like the card is working, too. At least there's a process happening whereas there wasn't one showing previously.

Code:
    :~$ nvidia-smi
    Fri Jul 24 02:01:07 2020       
    +-----------------------------------------------------------------------------+
    | NVIDIA-SMI 450.57       Driver Version: 450.57       CUDA Version: 11.0     |
    |-------------------------------+----------------------+----------------------+
    | GPU  Name        Persistence-M| Bus-Id        Disp.A | Volatile Uncorr. ECC |
    | Fan  Temp  Perf  Pwr:Usage/Cap|         Memory-Usage | GPU-Util  Compute M. |
    |                               |                      |               MIG M. |
    |===============================+======================+======================|
    |   0  GeForce GTX 165...  Off  | 00000000:01:00.0 Off |                  N/A |
    | N/A   39C    P8     1W /  N/A |      6MiB /  3911MiB |      0%      Default |
    |                               |                      |                  N/A |
    +-------------------------------+----------------------+----------------------+

| Processes:                                                                  |
    |  GPU   GI   CI        PID   Type   Process name                  GPU Memory |
    |        ID   ID                                                   Usage      |
    |=============================================================================|
    |    0   N/A  N/A       982      G   /usr/lib/xorg/Xorg                  4MiB |
    I don't really understand what the process is doing, but from the notes on the new driver, it seems the 450 plays better with xorg than the previous. (There is a good article on that driver here). Despite the process showing, I still have this ...

Code:
    :~$ nvidia-smi --query

==============NVSMI LOG==============

Timestamp                                 : Fri Jul 24 02:17:17 2020
    Driver Version                            : 450.57
    CUDA Version                              : 11.0

Attached GPUs                             : 1
    GPU 00000000:01:00.0
        Product Name                          : GeForce GTX 1650 Ti
        Product Brand                         : GeForce
        Display Mode                          : Disabled
        Display Active                        : Disabled
        Persistence Mode                      : Disabled
        MIG Mode
            Current                           : N/A
            Pending                           : N/A
        Accounting Mode                       : Disabled
        Accounting Mode Buffer Size           : 4000
        Driver Model
        Serial Number                         : N/A
        GPU UUID                              : GPU-478032cf-a2ee-befc-da9d-96964836c5c4
        Minor Number                          : 0
        VBIOS Version                         : 90.17.42.00.21
        MultiGPU Board                        : No
        Board ID                              : 0x100
        GPU Part Number                       : N/A
        Inforom Version
            Image Version                     : G001.0000.02.04
            OEM Object                        : 1.1
            ECC Object                        : N/A
            Power Management Object           : N/A
        GPU Operation Mode
        GPU Virtualization Mode
            Virtualization Mode               : None
            Host VGPU Mode                    : N/A
        IBMNPU
            Relaxed Ordering Mode             : N/A
    There is more, but you get the idea from 'Display mode: disabled' and 'Display Active: disabled', etc.

* I just played a video in Youtube and ran nvidia-smi in a terminal while I was doing it and the output is exactly the same as the output posted above. So I still don't think it's using the card for vid, although I've moved forward a step. There is a process running now at least, whatever it is.
    Last edited by Bucky Ball; July 23rd, 2020 at 05:56 PM. Reason: Further info, clarity.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Quick update. I was in Win 10 and noticed that that is using the Nvidia 451.** driver (can't remember the numbers after the period). Maybe when that pops into Linux things might go more smoothly. But ... in my meanderings I figured something that is possibly obvious if you know what you're doing and know about graphics. Perhaps what's required is to open Nvidia X Server Settings, select 'nvidia-settings Configuration' and 'Save Current Configuration' then tweak the file it creates (.nvidia-settings-rc) until I crack the code to get the Nvidia card as the default and the HDMI output handed over to it. Make sense?

Not that I would have any idea how to tweak that file once created.

I tried the answer marked '1' from here to try to get the Nvidia card to handle the HDMI.

https://askubuntu.com/questions/7870...he-default-gpu

It didn't go well. I made sure to use the correct BusID number for my card, but when I restarted I was greeted with a blank screen with a blinking cursor top left. Restarted to recovery mode, dropped to root shell, edited the file and took out the line with the BusID number, rebooted. Black screen with cursor. Reboot, recovery, root shell, delete file completely, reboot. Everything working again.

On a side note, I fixed the suspend issue (external monitor staying on when laptop screen closed) with this.

https://itsfoss.com/ubuntu-close-lid-suspend/

Any further thoughts on getting the Nvidia card to be the default and take care of the HDMI are welcome and appreciated. While I have HDMI output, pretty sure it isn't coming from the Nvidia card as Nvidia X Server Settings is not showing much action and neither is anything else. As I mentioned earlier, perhaps the working driver/kernel combination to make this work is still in the future.

* Further info: Just had a look in /var/log/Xorg.0.log and I see that there is a ton of information regarding the 'AMDGPU' but next to nothing about the 'Nvidia' GPU because in every instance, it shows as 'disconnected'. There is also evidence in there that the AMD GPU is handling the HDMI. So, the Nvidia driver is there, the card is there, no errors showing, but no-one home.
    Last edited by Bucky Ball; July 24th, 2020 at 07:26 PM. Reason: Clarity.

Beans

Check frequently for any firmware updates offered by the vendor too. New machines typically get a few quick updates to fix problems.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Thanks ubfan1. Just had a check in Windows then and nothing forthcoming.

Just an update on where I'm at with things. Have a look at the pic of the Nvidia X Server Settings GUI here under 'Configure Nvidia graphics driver'.

https://codepre.com/how-to-install-n...ntu-20-04.html

In comparison, my options column on the left is missing everything before, in my case, 'GPU 0 - (GeForce GTX 1650 Ti)'. I have no options for Xserver information, X server Display Configuration, X screen 0; none of the options above 'GPU 0'. My options in the left hand column start with 'GPU 0 - (GeForce GTX 1650 Ti)'.

Underneath 'GPU 0 - (GeForce GTX 1650 Ti)' my options are the same as the one at the link above apart from I am missing the 'PRIME profiles' option in the left column. Strange, because I get this in a terminal.

Code:
    ~$ sudo prime-select query
    nvidia
    But when I launch 'sudo nvidia-settings' it tells me ...

Code:
    Prime is not supported? Odd that I can use Prime commands in the terminal and they seem to work. Even this.

Code:
    :~$ sudo prime-select nvidia
    Info: the nvidia profile is already set
    Confused. When 20.04.1 drops on August 6th, maybe I'll get further along the trail with this.
    Last edited by Bucky Ball; July 25th, 2020 at 04:46 PM. Reason: Further info.

Beans

I have the same issue as you, I have a omen R7 with the same 1650 ti, reading this post It's have been my same path, I also have no control over the brightness on the laptop screen, does you brigtness works fine?,If you have done anything please share it, the screen is leaving me blind, when I conect another screen it shows on the x server, but there is no way to activated

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Hi Marvin. When you say you have the same problem as me, you mean you have the 1650 ti and you are getting no HDMI output from it? If not, would be better to post a new thread with a title that reflects your issue specifically. If your issue is primarily about the brightness issue (which isn't related to this thread) or the blank screen, you'll get better help on a new thread specifically about that.

Everything I've done is documented on this thread. In a nutshell, install Ubuntu (or whatever flavour you're using) 20.04, make sure you are using the 5.6 kernel (find it here) or higher and the latest Nvidia driver (nvidia-driver-450 which you'll need to install by following this). Install kernel first, Nvidia driver second. That combination fixed some things for me, but not everything. I am now on the 5.7 kernel to see if that gets me any further, but things are exactly the same as they were on 5.6. And that's where I'm up to.

I have no idea whether screen brightness is working or not on my machine. I'm using a reasonably fresh and basic Xubuntu-core 20.04 and have no screen brightness adjuster installed that I can find. You could try adjusting the brightness on the monitor itself, if you are using an external monitor that is.

Try installing the kernel and driver and see if that solves your issue. (If you can't get to a desktop, at the grub screen where you select what to boot, select the 'Advanced' options then the 'recovery' option. There, choose the first option to continue. This might get you to a desktop where you will be able to get online and install the kernel and driver. Then reboot normally and see what happens.)
    Last edited by Bucky Ball; July 25th, 2020 at 07:14 PM. Reason: Deleted irrelevant info.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

looks like you are close. first the two GPU need to work, then you sort out the switching.

have a look here for similar situation but older Ryzen chip: https://forums.developer.nvidia.com/...-drivers/76183

The person that posted this is on Suse, but Ubuntu/Mint solution is mentioned in the link. as i understand you would need to also setup or fix the xorg.conf file.

and if suggested solution doesn't work post nvidia bug report there in new thread. they might be able to help as i suspect that now Optimus/Prime switching is the issue. hopefully there is support for amdgpu/nvidia switching implemented at least to some extent.
    Read the easy to understand, lots of pics Ubuntu manual.
    Do i need antivirus/firewall in linux?
    Full disk backup (newer kernel -> suitable for newer PC): Clonezilla
    User friendly full disk backup: Rescuezilla

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Thanks for the further info, mastablasta. After following a piece of string starting with your link, I tried this from here.

... modify /usr/share/X11/xorg.conf.d/10-amdgpu.conf
    replacing only

Driver "amdgpu"

with

Driver "modesetting"

then reboot.
    Reboot and all looks good, but no change in Nvidia X Server Settings and no signs of life. So I try the next step on the link.

Please add

Option "PrimaryGPU" "Yes"

inside the OutputClass of /usr/share/X11/xorg.conf.d/10-nvidia.conf
    Not so good. Chose Ubuntu at grub, boots to completely black screen, no blinking cursor, nothing. Into recovery mode and delete the 'Option "PrimaryGPU" "Yes"' line from /usr/share/X11/xorg.conf.d/10-nvidia.conf. Reboot normally and all good again.

So, currently running with the 'Driver "modesetting"' change in /usr/share/X11/xorg.conf.d/10-amdgpu.conf without issue. I can see no difference. AMD GPU still seems to be handling the HDMI and screen still flickers when I open the laptop lid and the machine wakes. Oddly, it didn't do that once this afternoon. Once.

I'll keep digging.

* Just opened the laptop to switch the machine off and ... no laptop screen flicker. Go figure.
    Last edited by Bucky Ball; July 26th, 2020 at 07:25 PM. Reason: Further info.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Hi all. Just an update. Haven't forgotten about this thread. Haven't marked solved as, technically, it's not. Still not getting any HDMI out of the Nvidia card even though the card is recognised and the 450 nvidia driver is installed.

I have my fingers crossed the 20.04.1 point release may help me along as that has some Nvidia server stuff in it, but so far, that point release hasn't come down the line for me. I'll repost any progress once I have that installed and have had a look. So in the meantime, I'll leave this open for now as posting a resolution, if it arrives, may help others.

Cheers.

* Further update: Now have 20.04.1 and no change. Will leave thread open in case anyone has any further ideas or I figure it out and can post a solution for others. I'll keep trying.
    Last edited by Bucky Ball; August 11th, 2020 at 08:19 PM. Reason: Update.

Beans

I haven't also, I am in the same situation as you are

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast