Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Error re gnutls when compiling FFmpeg

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Error re gnutls when compiling FFmpeg

Tried to compile FFmpeg (on Ubuntu 18.04) using instructions at: https://trac.ffmpeg.org/wiki/CompilationGuide/Ubuntu

Source was obtained from link https://johnvansickle.com/ffmpeg/bui...-static.tar.xz

All well until "ERROR: gnutls not found using pkg-config".

Terminal output would be attached if Forum software would let me attach the 50kB .zip file: I choose the file & click the upload button but nothing happens.

Error line is "ERROR: gnutls not found using pkg-config". I installed the libgnutls28-dev package before attempting the compile.
    John

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: Error re gnutls when compiling FFmpeg

Terminal output should be in code tags. Go Advanced > click "#" and paste inside.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Appropriate parts of Terminal output:

Code:
    john@JohnPC:~$ sudo apt-get update -qq && sudo apt-get -y install autoconf automake build-essential cmake git-core libass-dev libfreetype6-dev libgnutls28-dev libsdl2-dev libtool libva-dev libvdpau-dev libvorbis-dev libxcb1-dev libxcb-shm0-dev libxcb-xfixes0-dev pkg-config texinfo wget yasm zlib1g-dev
    Reading package lists... Done
    Building dependency tree       
    Reading state information... Done

ffmpeg/libpostproc/version.h
    ERROR: gnutls not found using pkg-config

If you think configure made a mistake, make sure you are using the latest
    version from Git.  If the latest version fails, report the problem to the
    ffmpeg-user@ffmpeg.org mailing list or IRC #ffmpeg on irc.freenode.net.
    Include the log file "ffbuild/config.log" produced by configure as this will help
    solve the problem.
    Unfortunately, I've deleted the above mentioned log file.
    Last edited by johnaaronrose; July 22nd, 2020 at 01:45 PM. Reason: To include stuff about log file in CODE
    John

Beans

I don't understand. If you're using the static version, it's already built.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Not sure what you mean. ffmpeg (just upgraded from 3.4.6 to) 3.4.8 is version supplied by Ubuntu repos. I've been trying to compile ffmpeg from git source. The compilation procedure (s detailed by trac.ffmpeg.org i.e. the developers of ffmpeg) gave the gnutls error. However, trac.ffmpeg.org don't reply to my reporting this error!
    John

Beans

Try running
    Code:
    sudo apt-get build-dep ffmpeg
    then compiling. Any better?
    If you ask for help, do not abandon your request. Please have the courtesy to check for responses and thank the people who helped you.

Blog · Linode System Administration Guides · Android Apps for Ubuntu Users

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by johnaaronrose View Post
    Not sure what you mean. I've been trying to compile ffmpeg from git source.
    The link you gave for the source is a pre-built static linked version. What exactly are you trying to do here? Are you trying to build statically or dynamically (i.e. with system libs)?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Quote Originally Posted by Yellow Pasque View Post
    The link you gave for the source is a pre-built static linked version. What exactly are you trying to do here? Are you trying to build statically or dynamically (i.e. with system libs)?
    I understand at last. I downloaded (release version amd64) ffmpeg (version 4.3.1) from that link I specified. When I ran it, it gave a problem "Unknown input format: 'pulse'". I think that this is due to libpulse not being enabled as part of the creation of that ffmpeg version. I've recorded it as a bug (#8817) at https://trac.ffmpeg.org/ticket/8817
    So unless I get a helpful reply from there, I will have to compile ffmpeg. I therefore have to solve the gnutls problem,
    I don't understand the difference between a static and a dynamic build. I'm not a developer.
    John

Beans

II think that this is due to libpulse not being enabled as part of the creation of that ffmpeg version. I've recorded it as a bug (#8817) at https://trac.ffmpeg.org/ticket/8817
    Why aren't you using the version in the Ubuntu repositories? It has support for PulseAudio already built-in. In general, I see few reasons to compile applications unless there's some unique thing that's missing in the repository version that you need. That's pretty rare in my experience.

Code:
    sudo apt update
    sudo apt install ffmpeg
    If you ask for help, do not abandon your request. Please have the courtesy to check for responses and thank the people who helped you.

Blog · Linode System Administration Guides · Android Apps for Ubuntu Users

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Tried to compile FFmpeg (on Ubuntu 18.04) using instructions at: https://trac.ffmpeg.org/wiki/CompilationGuide/Ubuntu .....
    the fix is here
    do not ask me why you need this but it fixed my recent install using THE GUIDE

Code:
    sudo apt-get install libunistring-dev

... and then try again

read further here you might get it personally I just know it removed the obstacle
    Last edited by shantiq; August 4th, 2020 at 04:47 PM. Reason: clarifications and added quote
    Linux is Latin for off-the-beaten-track
    what I like MOST about our Ubuntu ... The Community ie 50 brains are better than one
    Playing with Slackware too now ...
    ShanArt

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast