Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: LUBUNTU Where is the device manger ?

Beans

LUBUNTU Where is the device manger ?

I am new to Ubuntu. Where is the device manager for I see all device drivers installed ?

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu Development Release

Re: LUBUNTU Where is the device manger ?

You haven't provided your release details, so I cannot know if you're using legacy Lubuntu using LXDE, or modern Lubuntu using LXQt.

To see if additional drivers are available on your system, use Software Sources, found in the Lubuntu manual at https://manual.lubuntu.me/stable/4/4...e_sources.html (scroll down to the Proprietary Drivers section).

Sorry I don't know what you mean by device manager, but if I wanted to look at how my hardware was recognized, I'd use a command.

Code:
    sudo lshw
    will list your hardware (`sudo` elevates privileges as my user account won't be able to get detailed results without raised privileges). If I wanted to limit the results to a specific class, for example 'video' hardware only, I'd use

Code:
    sudo lshw -C video
    There are GUI tools that will display that detail too, but personally I find commands faster (paging or searching the result as appropriate).

Beans

My Lubuntu is the latest version.
    Have any tool in Linux that look and work how Windows Device Manager in view devices and install drivers ?
    Thanks for reply.

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu Development Release

Please tell me what you mean by the latest version.

The last two people who told me they were using the latest version of Lubuntu, were in fact using a End of Life release of Lubuntu, but because they didn't download it from a Lubuntu, or Ubuntu site, didn't realize they had installed a EOL version of Lubuntu, despite the web site they downloaded it from stating it was the latest.

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Quote Originally Posted by aug7744 View Post
    Have any tool in Linux that look and work how Windows Device Manager in view devices and install drivers ?
    Thanks for reply.
    Forget the "Device Manager".
    You really need to open your mind and understand that Lubuntu isn't Windows. A lot of people (myself included) have grown up with all the messy M$ "solutions" and need to think new.

The terminal command "lshw" is the way to go.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

I kind of have a feeling I know where this is going to end up, so why don't you just tell us which piece of hardware you're thinking about and we can answer the question more directly.
    regards

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by aug7744 View Post
    Sigh, you could have answered the question in fewer keystrokes. Whereas "latest version" (you know about) conveys no information.
    The premise of the question suggests a misunderstanding of how Linux works. Your system doesn't have a bunch of drivers installed. The drivers are in the kernel. The appropriate ones are loaded as the system brings itself up and detects hardware. There is a section in Software Sources for Additional Drivers (can be accessed from Menu under either name, as it happens), but usually that will be empty or have only one or two items (which you would have added yourself post-installation).

Anyhoo, are you just curious? Or is there a particular problem you're trying to solve?

Beans

In general, if your machine works, then you have no reason to worry about 'device drivers' - these are modules permanently linked with, or dynamically loaded into the kernel, as needed.

If you want to learn all about Linux device drivers, there is an excellent book written by Mr Croah-Hartman https://www.oreilly.com/library/view...rs/0596005903/

Last I dabbled in device drivers, this book wasn't written yet...
    Last edited by HermanAB; July 30th, 2020 at 06:24 AM.

Beans

Thanks for all replies. Using Lubuntu 20.04. I want to use an GUI to see more easy all devices installed. Have devices not installed and not working being GeForce GT 640, Realtek HD Audio and MODEM Huawei E173. Video card drivers was downloaded, but I want to install drivers proprietary.

Beans

You can list all kernel modules with lsmod.

A GUI makes simple things more difficult.
    Last edited by HermanAB; July 30th, 2020 at 12:55 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast