Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: LUBUNTU Where is the device manger ?

Beans

Re: LUBUNTU Where is the device manger ?

I wait an GUI to see displayed in an tree view all devices. I understand that command line is fast, but is an wrong that Linux not make some tasks more simple. Have devices that look how not having drivers installed (USB3, MODEM, etc).

Beans

Install hardinfo
    Code:
    sudo apt install hardinfo
    Attached Images Attached Images

Beans

@pbear42
    "Anyhoo, are you just curious? Or is there a particular problem you're trying to solve?"
    I need to install an MODEM 3G Huawei E173.

@HermanAB
    "A GUI makes simple things more difficult."
    Only wait to see devices in an tree view.

Beans

Devices are not a tree. They don't depend on each other. So lsmod and lsusb are all you need.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Quote Originally Posted by aug7744 View Post
    Thanks for all replies. Using Lubuntu 20.04. I want to use an GUI to see more easy all devices installed. Have devices not installed and not working being GeForce GT 640, Realtek HD Audio and MODEM Huawei E173. Video card drivers was downloaded, but I want to install drivers proprietary.
    Linux isn't Windows. There is a different philosophy, completely. To my knowledge, there isn't any "device manager". There are tools to gather information.

To install the current driver for the GT 640 and other connected proprietary hardware, use sudo ubuntu-drivers autoinstall
    If the GeForce GT 640 isn't supported by nvidia drivers on 20.04, you'll need to use the F/LOSS drivers or buy a newer GPU. My 7200 GS became unsupported for 16.04 and, at the time, the F/LOSS video drivers didn't provide the resolution I wanted. I bought a newer, cheap, GPU.

If the autoinstall doesn't work (you'll need to reboot for any GPU driver stuff), then
    Code:
    sudo apt install nvidia-driver-390
    should get the correct driver for 20.04.

A few strong suggestions.
    • Don't go looking for drivers from any vendor's website for Linux. These are usually not needed and definitely haven't been vetted by Canonical. Often, those installations will turn out badly.
    • Only install software using the package manager on the system. Don't go looking to download software "packages" from websites. Use the package manager which gets updated daily with a list of all 60K packages available. The package manager has categories of software to help humans find the packages more easily.
    • Any software added through the package manager is automatically maintained whenever an "update/upgrade" is performed. You can manually do that or you can setup your flavor to do it daily, weekly, or bi-weekly automatically. Any software loaded outside the package manager doesn't get updates. This is a key difference between the Windows-way and the Linux way (for most Linuxen).

The realtek audio should just be working. If Lubuntu uses Pulse Audio, then the built-in audio controls should be sufficient. If you need more control, pavucontrol can be used. If it isn't working, there is a sub-forum here for audio issues. Post there after running through the audio troubleshooting script.

There is probably a GUI program so show the system hardware too. I just don't use GUIs enough to remember the menu name. Look for System Information in the Admin or Systems menu. https://itsfoss.com/hardinfo/ is one option. Appears that hardinfo is in the 20.04 repos. A quick install. sudo apt install hardinfo gets it. Should be in the menu now.

As others have said, the lshw command will provide detailed information about the system, devices, and drivers. It isn't a GUI. By saving the output to a file, you can refer to it later, update it, or run comparisons from time to time. Open a terminal to run it.

And perhaps the Lubuntu User's Guide would be helpful. https://manual.lubuntu.me/stable/ Lots of answers for "how" in there, but not many "why" answers, sadly.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by aug7744 View Post
    I need to install an MODEM 3G Huawei E173.
    Is it being detected as CD/Storage?: https://rnavagamuwa.com/open-source/...dem-on-ubuntu/

Beans

sudo ubuntu-drivers autoinstall
    and
    sudo apt install nvidia-driver-390

both commands use internet access or only allow install proprietary drivers ?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Package managers use internet.

Beans

@mc4man
    Using HardInfo.
    Thanks very much.

@Yellow Pasque
    MODEM is working. Thanks for your help.

Thanks for all replies

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12