Thread: Image converter program.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Image converter program.

Hi! I am trying to download XnConert, an image converter program. For some reason its No such package fond by apt, No package on either software center or snap. IT used to be. Anyone know how to get that program or if tgere are any other, New or ild that can von ert between most image file types?

Beans

Re: Image converter program.

XnConvert is closed source, commercial but free (as in beer) for private use. There is a .deb file available for download at https://www.xnview.com/en/xnconvert/ .

Alternatively you could just try ImageMagick. In the simplest case this involves just running something like 'convert oldname.bmp newname.png'. Of course there are literally hundreds of options to influence the conversion process. It's one of those tools you spend the rest of your life mastering.

Personally I've been using ImageMagick for years but wouldn't say I've mastered more than perhaps 10% of it's capabilities, it's just that powerful. Combine it with a bit of shell scripting and batch conversions (or watermarking, rotating,scaling or otherwise mangling images in myriads of ways) can be done really quickly. There's also lots of documentation and tips on using it on the web, so you almost never have to (re-)invent the wheel yourself, somebody somewhere has probably done something similar to what you're trying to do and has posted about it.

Holger
    Last edited by Holger_Gehrke; July 19th, 2020 at 04:28 PM.

Beans

Try GIMP (GNU Image Manipulation Program)

Beans

GIMP's really heavy for simple image conversions. imagemagick or even ffmpeg should do the job and are probably already installed by default.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Lubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

If you're interested in XnConvert, you can also just get XnViewMP and it has batch processing. It's closed source, but free for personal use (as mentioned above). I use it frequently and it actually installs from a .deb. There are many other tools to do this, including some with just terminal commands. I use XnView because I'm familiar with the layout and know where all the options are. If you're not familiar with it, there are probably better choices.

Beans