Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Live USB Ubuntu 20.04

Beans
    Hidden!

Re: Live USB Ubuntu 20.04

The template contains only the boot structure for UEFI and BIJOS mode. There is no content from the Ubuntu iso file there. If you want a compressed image file containing Ubuntu, you need a bigger file, dd_unb_ubuntu-20.04_15GB_2020-06-26.img.xz.

The intention with the template is to either make a grub and iso system, booting via grub into the iso file, or to do what is described by C.S.Cameron, to install Ubuntu (make an installed ssytem), where one of the steps is to copy grub.cfg from inside the installed system to the boot parttion, that comes with the template.

Beans

Im sorry you've lost me.

I have the installed system now on my USB drive. and i need to make it to boot in both modes.
    I understand that the grub.cfg is inside the installed system on my drive ? is that the one in boot/grub/grub.cfg ? and what do i need to do with that file ?

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by linuxnewby3 View Post
    my bad, didn't noticed the name Can you explain how to do that ? i assume you copy it somehow in the terminal ?
    Yes, the command is run in a terminal window.

You must identify the full directory path of the source file and the target file. The two partitions must be mounted and the mount points plus the paths inside should be there, probably something like

Code:
    /mountpoint-of-source/boot/grub/grub.cfg
    /mountpoint-of-target/boot/grub/grub.cfg
    You can find these mountpoints via the command 'df' (if they are mounted)

Code:
    df
    Otherwise you must mount them before you can run the copy command

Please check and doublecheck, that you get it the correct way. Otherwise you will overwrite the source with the target file, and there will be problems.

Code:
    sudo cp /mountpoint-of-source/boot/grub/grub.cfg /mountpoint-of-target/boot/grub/grub.cfg
    Last edited by sudodus; July 25th, 2020 at 12:20 PM.

Beans
    Hidden!

But again, if this is too much for you, there is an easier way.

There will be no encryption, but you will get an installed system, that boots both in UEFI mode and BIOS mode. While using that system maybe during some months, you can learn how to use commands in the terminal window including how to identify file systems, to mount and unmount them, and to run commands with elevated permissions with sudo.

After that it will be rather easy for you to make exactly what you want, an encrypted installed system, that boots both in UEFI mode and BIOS mode.
    Last edited by sudodus; July 25th, 2020 at 12:33 PM. Reason: added link

Beans

yeah, i will keep that in mind. but i will try to figure out what you've just said in post 43. I'll need some more time for that. i'll be back in 1-2 days probably. Thank you for your patience!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

If you look at the drive using GParted, the first partition on the left is a small, (1MB), bios_grub partition, sdx1.
    The next partition, sdx2, boot,esp is the usbboot partition, It is the partition that we want to copy grub.cfg to.
    The next partition is the where Ubuntu has been installed. It is where we want to copy /boot/grub/grub.cfg from.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by C.S.Cameron; July 25th, 2020 at 03:05 PM.

Beans

yeah, so i've tried to do that. Couldn't figure it out. Also it wouldn't let me copy it if it was booted from that file. (i think that makes sense) But gives error about permission.
    And with diskmanagement i've seen that the grub somehow was installed to a small partition of my laptop instead of the USB.

I'm giving up.
    In the future the next best thing will be a dual-boot without any USB-drives. But i'm working on different laptop/desktops and that's why a full install on USB would be a nice thing to have.
    Unfortunate that it's this complicated.

Thanks for all the help!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Perhaps try just once more using the easy method sudodus recommends:
    https://askubuntu.com/questions/1255...255893#1255893
    It really is very easy.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345