Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Is possible use install packages from others distros ?

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

Re: Is possible use install packages from others distros ?

Quote Originally Posted by aug7744 View Post
    I have downloaded current geforce drivers to install in Lubuntu. The driver file has an run extension and perhaps see that not is will be simple to install.
    This is the kind of Windowsism that will cause you problems. You install software by using the package manager, not by downloading files from some random website. There's a tool to identify, download and install the proprietary driver required by Nvidia hardware, already included with your install.

To answer some of your other questions, packages downloaded through the package manager are cached so that you don't need to download them again if you need to reinstall them for some reason. Files are sorted by function rather than origin: configuration files are in one place, documentation is in one place, binaries are in one place, libraries are in one place. You don't need to poke around in them.
    None but ourselves can free our minds

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Gnome3 is both the name of a DE, but it generically refers to a set of cross-platform libraries used to build software. Before Gnome3 libraries, we had Gnome2 libraries. Before that, we had just "Gnome" libraries. I have a prediction - "Gnome4" will be the next major release of the libraries in 2-7 yrs. Those are the layman terms. In reality, GTK and GTK+ are the "gnome libraries" use to build not just the DE, but all the Gnome-based programs on our systems.

On my 20.04 desktop:
    Code:
    $ dpkg -l|grep gtk|grep common
    ii  libgtk-3-common                       3.24.20-0ubuntu1                    all          common files for the GTK graphical user interface library
    ii  libgtk2.0-common                      2.24.32-4ubuntu4                    all          common files for the GTK graphical user interface library
    So both GTK3 and GTK2 libraries are installed. That was automatic, either by the installer or when I asked for a program built using those to be installed.

On a 16.04 desktop:
    Code:
    $ dpkg -l|grep gtk|grep common
    ii  libgtk-3-common                             3.18.9-1ubuntu3.3                               all         common files for the GTK+ graphical user interface library
    ii  libgtk2.0-common                            2.24.30-1ubuntu1.16.04.2                        all         common files for the GTK+ graphical user interface library
    These are sometimes called "toolkits" as well. The KDE toolkit is Qt. There are multiple versions of it, but it seems only Qt5 is installed on my systems. Programs that begin with "K" - like "Kate" or Konqueror tend to be built using Qt libraries. Programs that begin with a 'g' 0r 'gnome-' use the GTK toolkit. gedit is a gnome-based editor. Kate is a Qt-based editor. Why does this matter? If you don't have much RAM, making a choice to avoid one or the other toolkit will mean those libraries don't get loaded into RAM. These toolkits are large, multiple hundreds of MB of RAM is needed. But programs built using the same toolkit and version will share that code in RAM, so there's only 1 copy for all 20 programs using it. This assuming a "shared library" is used at compile time, which is common. Shared libraries on Linux are .so files. Look in /usr/lib/ to see those. On Windows, they are .dll files.

Can we run programs that use a different toolkit? Yes. If you have plenty of RAM, I doubt you'd even notice any performance difference running both sorts of programs.

Beans

i
    @monkeybrain20122
    "It is very easy for beginners, just stick to one distro (Ubunu and derivatives are easy) and don't try to install packages from other distros."
    In moment is one of my difficulties in use Linux.
    Windows you install an program and if need dependences (VC redistributable) is easy to install.
    One package not work exactly in all distro and need to convert and see that has chance of create problems.
    Softwares packages are files where is the software install and each package is one type of install method where for an distro ?
    Software packages not has compatibility that all distros because inside files (similar to DLLs in Windows ?) are an not are required for all distros and have distros that the software not run because the software package not have inside the need files to run thus need to the user to figure which files need to be installed in system ?
    The rpm, deb etc are just packaging formats for easy distribution. The packages are tailored for the distro and the version of the OS so even a deb from a different distro (say Debian) or a different Ubuntu release may not be installable or if it does may work differently (mostly for things like tool bars and buttons which depend on the DE)

But in Linux if you want fine grain control you don't go around downloading bits and pieces randomly from the web, you should compile from source. This is not something Windows users usually do since a lot of their software doesn't offer source code. The same software can be compiled on different linux platforms and made to behave somewhat differently depending on how you configure your build.

Beans

I have downloaded current geforce drivers to install in Lubuntu. The driver file has an run extension and perhaps see that not is will be simple to install.
    If you are not experienced you should use the prepackaged driver from the repo rather than installing the .run file. If the official repo doesn't have the new version you can always use the graphic driver ppa. Add the source to your repository and you can just install it like other software. You may have to install the .run file for other distros but Ubuntu is easy. Linux caters to users with different levels of experience and want different levels of control, if you have the time and the expertise you can even build a whole OS and the software from ground up (see Linux from Scratch aka LFS)

It seems you are making your experience more difficult because of your Windows habit.

The supposed ease to install Windows software has nothing to do with MS or Windows being a "better" platform, but because software developers package their stuffs for Windows so they can reach most users. McDonald's probably has more customers than other restaurants, doesn't mean it offers the best food.
    Last edited by monkeybrain20122; July 20th, 2020 at 08:22 PM.

Beans

Thanks very much

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Thanks very much
    I'll make a couple of suggestions:

Use Libre Office instead of Open Office. Libre Office was forked from Open Office and has had far more development.
    Most Linux distros have Libre Office already installed.

Depending how much Windows software you need to run, consider using a Virtual Machine running in Linux with a Windows version running on it.

I have a friend who won't switch from Photoshop so I installed Win7 in Gnome Boxes VM for him to run PS on from inside Ubuntu.

This worked well on a 2 core 1600 MHz system.

Gnome boxes seems to run better than Virtual box.
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

Quote Originally Posted by Paulgirardin View Post
    This worked well on a 2 core 1600 MHz system.
    That's impressive. How much RAM on his system?

Thanks for the notes about Gnome boxes; I hadn't heard of it. I've always used VirtualBox.

I see that Gnome Boxes is available on Flathub. Do you have a recommendation for a tutorial for Gnome Boxes?

Beans

Gnome boxes; I hadn't heard of it. I've always used VirtualBox. I see that Gnome Boxes is available on Flathub. Do you have a recommendation for a tutorial for Gnome Boxes?
    You also can find Boxes in Ubuntu (Gnome). It's in the Ubuntu repository.
    Compared to Virt-Manager:
    https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2020...-virt-manager/
    Lots of how-tos on the Internet.
    Last edited by Dennis N; August 19th, 2020 at 12:26 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis N View Post
    You also can find Boxes in Ubuntu (Gnome)…
    Thank you!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123